What's new

.357 SIG Ammo (for my new iron)

I just picked this sweet lil' thing up:

$G23_Gen4.jpg

I've had the chance to put about 75 rounds of 180gr FMJ's throught it (.40S&W) this past weekend, and I really like this gun. However, the main purpose I bought this was so that I could swap the barrel out with this:

$LW_357SIG BBL.jpg

A Lone Wolf .357 SIG barrel, effectively turning my G23 into a G32. I've wanted a .357 SIG for a long time, but I didn't want something that was JUST .357 SIG; I wanted something that I could run both .40 and .357 in by just doing a quick barrel swap. I love the ballistics of the .357 SIG round, but its not very popular, and I didn't want to be stuck with a gun chambered for a "dead caliber" in a few years.

All that said, I know I can get .40 S&W ammo anywhere, and I've used enough of it that I know what I like. The .357 ammo, on the other hand, is much harder to find - especially target ammo. I've checked Ammo Seek, Cheaper Than Dirt, and some other places, and I've located some decent prices on some brands that I'm comfortable with, but I've also located some awesome prices on some brands that I've never dealt with personally. So, what I'd like to know is: Does anyone use any "off-brand" brass cased target ammo (in any caliber)? If so, what is it and how do you like it? I've been looking at picking Precision ONe and Prv Partizan in .357 SIG (and maybe other calibers if I like it) - does anyone have any experience with these brands in any calibers? Basically, I just want to have as much information as I can because I'm not a huge fan of gambling with substandard ammo.

Also, if there are any other .357 SIG shooters out there, I'd love to know any target and defense ammo you use, and what you think about it. Thanks in advance.

I have a G-33, and then 357sig barrels for a G-23 and a G-22. I roll my own ammo, so I wouldn't be much help on good brands to buy.

I also shoot and make my own 9x25 Dillon, which is basically a 357sig on steroids. Enjoy your new gun

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nice one Chris!!!

I'm gonna have to get a 9mm and "maybe" a .357 sig barrel and mags. for my Glock model 22.

Forgive my ignorance but is 357 SIG the same as 357 MAG?

This place have decent prices on ammo.

https://www.freedommunitions.com/category-s/3079.htm

Pretty close Jason, except the .357 sig is for an auto and the .357 mag is for a revolver...unless you go to the old Coonan or Desert Eagle autos for an auto in .357 mag. State Troopers here were issued .357 sig in the early '90s I believe.

Same concept as the old .38 Super that Colt put out in the 1911, but there were headspace problems that effected accuracy, and the S&W .357 N frame revolver that came out a little later kinda overshadowed the .38 Super.

Pretty hot load, and I'd love to have a 1911 Super .38, but the accuracy and the reliability of a .357 revolver at the time kinda squished it. I've heard the headspace problem has since been corrected in current .38 Super pistols.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Nice one Chris!!!

I'm gonna have to get a 9mm and "maybe" a .357 sig barrel and mags. for my Glock model 22.

Pretty close Jason, except the .357 sig is for an auto and the .357 mag is for a revolver...unless you go to the old Coonan or Desert Eagle autos for an auto in .357 mag. State Troopers here were issued .357 sig in the early '90s I believe.

Same concept as the old .38 Super that Colt put out in the 1911, but there were headspace problems that effected accuracy, and the S&W .357 N frame revolver that came out a little later kinda overshadowed the .38 Super.

Pretty hot load, and I'd love to have a 1911 Super .38, but the accuracy and the reliability of a .357 revolver at the time kinda squished it. I've heard the headspace problem has since been corrected in current .38 Super pistols.

Gotcha! Thanks for the info.

That website I posted is offering free shipping to new customers FYI.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Those prices do look good. Might be a new company starting up. I'm gonna keep track of their offerings.

I just ordered a box of Buffalo Bore 158 grain +P FBI loads in .38 for my S&W .357 (wife has it in nightstand so I'm trying to get something a bit lighter than full house .357 loads for her) from Midway. Also ordered some 148 grain wadcutter target ammo to play with.

As high and hard to get as ammo is I'm gonna look and see if my .38/.357 reloading die has a wadcutter seating stem.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Forgive my ignorance but is 357 SIG the same as 357 MAG?

This place have decent prices on ammo.

https://www.freedommunitions.com/category-s/3079.htm

Not even close!! The .357 SIG is a shorter cartridge with a drastic tapered step. The .357 mag is a much longer, straight round, heavier bullet, too.
The .357 SIG is in principle a 9 mm on steroids, based on a .40SW cartridge, but tapered to accept a 9 mm bullet.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Not even close!! The .357 SIG is a shorter cartridge with a drastic tapered step. The .357 mag is a much longer, straight round, heavier bullet, too.
The .357 SIG is in principle a 9 mm on steroids, based on a .40SW cartridge, but tapered to accept a 9 mm bullet.

Rudy, I thought he was wondering about the performance characteristics and not the OAL, rim diameter, bottle necked, etc. With 125 grain pills it is in .357 mag. territory...like the .38 Super is.

But you are entirely correct as it being a necked-down .40...with a bunch more punch than the .40 if you subscribe to the smaller bullet at higher velocity rather than a big bullet going slower. They both can work. :001_smile

Now...back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Chris...we need some range time pics. when you get a chance. And a review. :thumbup:

As for ammo suggestions, I've never had a .357 Sig so I can't comment on what's good or not.

Last edited:
Now...back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Chris...we need some range time pics. when you get a chance. And a review. :thumbup:

I most certainly will update this once I've had a chance to mess around. The bbl, as well as some Precision ONe 125gr FMJ's, should be here tomorrow; I'm hoping to get out to the range this weekend. Even if its just for a few mags.

Just a note on the SIG/MAG comments - while physically they are drastically different rounds, the .357 SIG was developed as a way to obtain the vaunted .357 MAG performance from a semi-auto, as well as utilizing the extra capacity they have over revolvers. Specifically (according to the research I've done), the round was designed to perform like a 125gr .357 MAG round shot from a 4" barrel. While the performance of the SIG and MAG aren't quite the same, they're pretty close (again, according to my research). The development of the round is why I chose the Glock 23/32 (4" barrel), and why I will mostly use 125gr bullets for both target shooting as well as defense. Clearly, the cartridge is capable of pushing much heavier projectiles, but all the tests I've looked at suggest that, for factory loads, the 125gr bullets are the most reliable and uniform; particularly the SIG Sauer V-Crown and Speer Gold Dot JHP's.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That pbrammo site looks to have some good prices for plinkin' rounds Dan-O.

Chris, for some serious defensive ammo Buffalo Bore has some wicked 125 gr. JHP rated at 1,430 f.p.s. I just checked GunBot and Able Ammo has it in stock for $25.87. Poke around on the Bot a bit and you might find some plinking ammo for a decent price.

You asked about Privi Partisan ammo. I've used it in 32 ACP and 30 Mauser. It performed well in the 32. Not so well in my C-96 Mauser but I don't believe that was necessarily the manufacturer's fault. The worn bore in the C-96 meant that the bullets were a couple of thousandths too small to be accurate. I think you should try Privi Partisan ammo. You might also want to consider reloading. It's a good way to be sure you'll always have an ammo source beyond commercial and it would allow you to create a 'custom' target round for the pistol.

Chris, my new standard for defensive carry ammo is Lehigh Defense Max Expansion

I just looked through their website and I liked what I saw. What caliber do you carry?

I might grab some of their 9mm, as that's what I carry - that or .380 and I use a mix of JHP's and flat-nose FMJ's for that gun.

As far as for .357 SIG, I grabbed 150 rounds of Precision ONe for about $21/50pk. I'll proof those at the range, but I have high expectations.

I'm really in love with the ballistics of .357 SIG, but it'll take a few hundred rounds down range before I would consider carrying it, or using it for nightstand duty.

Top Bottom