What's new

34C / DE89 / R89 - which is more aggressive (even slightly) ?

Hi all.

I'm just wondering if anyone has an opinion on the relative aggressiveness of the following :
-Merkur 34C
-Edwin Jagger DE89
-Muhle R89

I know they are all on the mild side, but if anyone has noticed any differences, I'd be interested in knowing.

Many thanks.

Have and used all three, agree with VerbaVolant’s ranking. FWIW I find the ‘89’ s smoother than the 34C, havre a higher quality finish and a variety of handles. But YMMv

34C is the most aggressive by a slight margin compared to the other two and this seems to be the consensus.

The 34c is slightly more aggressive than the R89.

However, using 2 shims under the working blade in an R89 really makes that razor come to perfection. Smooth, close and comfortable.

Much of a muchness to be honest.

The relative comfort (personal choice) in the handle is probably more relevant than any miniscule difference in head aggression here... And added mass in the handle (IIRC the Merkur is heftier) will often feed into pressure and increase perceived aggression for relative newbies.

To be perfectly honest, I'd suggest buying whichever is available cheapest and putting the difference into a blade sampler, and/or better soap/brush... It'll make a more significant impact on the enjoyment.

If there is any difference in aggression it is quite insignificant. Both are pretty mild for me. I even gave away the Merkur and now only have a DE89 head.

I find the 34C very slightly more aggresive than the DE89 but I also like the balance of the 34C. Both are very capable razors for a great shave.

Slightly off topic (don't want to hijack this thread, I apologize in advance), but does anyone know if the Mühle R106 has the same head as the 89? They all look alike to be honest. The R106 has a black resin handle, that may be the only difference? If It is a different head then I may trie the 89 at some point as the 106 is really quite mild.

Slightly off topic (don't want to hijack this thread, I apologize in advance), but does anyone know if the Mühle R106 has the same head as the 89? They all look alike to be honest. The R106 has a black resin handle, that may be the only difference? If It is a different head then I may trie the 89 at some point as the 106 is really quite mild.
Pretty sure it is the same head. They made a bunch of "different" razors that all had the same head and just different handles.

The 34c worked way better for me. To me they both seem about the same aggressiveness but the 34c shaves so much better. I always got irritation with my DE89....no problems with the 34c. Not sure why the difference but it was very noticeable.

Top Bottom