What's new

34' Aristocrat with stiff door

I came across a 34 Crat that has heavy plating loss but seems in good shape. The issue is that when the TTO is 3/4 of the way open one of the doors feels like it is stiffening up. It feels like the knob is being pushed down. The door will open all the way but mostly will push it open by hand as I'm afraid of the downward pressure of the knob.

I've soaked and soaked but it is the same and the pressure seems to be only on one door. Nothing looks bent.

Any ideas?

I had one that did that. In my case it was actually the knob binding up a little when it got forced down while trying to open, not the door. I was able to fix it by tightening up the crimp that holds the knob in place. There is a couple of methods to do that repair. I used the binder clip method to repair mine. I works quite normally now.

If there comes a point during your restoration that you feel you do need to break it down, it can be done. The photo is from this how to post.

attachment.php

If there comes a point during your restoration that you feel you do need to break it down, it can be done. The photo is from this how to post.

attachment.php

Is there anyone here who can do a teardown? These are the type of things I try and end up breaking.

As far as the knob, it seems tight. I have fixed a dropped knob before on a SS so I could give it a try.

Top Bottom