What's new

$32 Empire set in silver

You should be stoked! You got a great razor at an excellent price. Have you ever shaved with an ABC razor? They are very nice shavers in addition to being beautifully made.

You should be stoked! You got a great razor at an excellent price. Have you ever shaved with an ABC razor? They are very nice shavers in addition to being beautifully made.

Nope, never used an ABC. I have a couple of single rings, old types, a senator, a short comb new, but never an ABC

I like the shave from an ABC better than a regular Old Type or a Single Ring. The handles of an ABC seem slightly heftier than either a regular Old Type or a Single Ring (but I could be imagining that as I haven't weighed them). And the balance of the handle definitely feels better in my hand. They are very nimble.

This question probably would best be answered by Brian DiPalma. The case on the razor in question is labeled "Gillette Pocket Edition". Is this different than ABC? I have been trying to figure this out in Krumholz, and am lost. Is a pocket edition a Gillette with the same handle as an ABC?

This question probably would best be answered by Brian DiPalma. The case on the razor in question is labeled "Gillette Pocket Edition". Is this different than ABC? I have been trying to figure this out in Krumholz, and am lost. Is a pocket edition a Gillette with the same handle as an ABC?

I dare say that this seller didnt know it was an ABC set.

Len (oldguy) is much more the expert than I am. It would be most helpful to see some photos of the set in question. There are Gillette pocket edition sets that are distinct from the ABC sets, but most of them don't say 'Gillette Pocket Edition' on the case. So, while pictures would be very helpful, if it actually says 'Gillette Pocket Edition' on the case, then I suspect it would be an ABC set.

Hi,

With a big Thankyou to Johnmrson the razor is now in my hands!

Overall it's in pretty good condition given it's age, but there are a few less than straight teeth, and the top cap has been dropped on each corner, curling it under. This would make it impossible to get the proper blade gap!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have a cap from an old type I could use as a donor, it's nickel plated, so wont look too out of place.

The interior of the case is well worn, the felt being worn through in a couple of places exposing the metal divider from the sections. This might make a suitable restoration project, and be a "user". I dont see it being of much interest to a collector in it's current condition.

Very happy still though, for the price I paid I cannot complain!

I think it's a bargain. I was tempted to tell you that somehow it didn't make it too my US post box :lol: but unfortunately I'm too honest. The bend edges will tap out easily will a small hammer and the teeth are fine. For a razor of that age it's in very good shapre.

I think it's a bargain. I was tempted to tell you that somehow it didn't make it too my US post box :lol: but unfortunately I'm too honest. The bend edges will tap out easily will a small hammer and the teeth are fine. For a razor of that age it's in very good shapre.

Yep, It was a bargain! I'll see about cleaning it up tonight, and see how it looks. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to teeth, so whilst I know it wont affect the shave it's one of those things that bug me. Call it my OCD! LMAO!

I'll have a crack at gently straightening out the corners, I have a small hammer that would be perfect for it.

Yep, It was a bargain! I'll see about cleaning it up tonight, and see how it looks. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to teeth, so whilst I know it wont affect the shave it's one of those things that bug me. Call it my OCD! LMAO!

I'll have a crack at gently straightening out the corners, I have a small hammer that would be perfect for it.

Well, I gave it a rub with the silver cleaning cloth, and gently tapped out the corners of the cap. The head now sits square.

Overall I'm happy with the result! I'll shave with it tomorrow and report back

The razor sets made by ABC were the first pocket razor sets sold by Gillette. All the cases say Pocket Edition on the bottom of the case. Your set is especially nice because it has the oldest model case with the fold down latch, the unique style early rounded tooth separation and an original blade case. The blade positioning post is different on the ABC cap versus the common Old Type. It is more rounded on the tip. Keep the original cap with the set. The set is very collectable. The only thing it lacks is the little press-on patch with the diamond trademark. But that is common. In all you have a beautiful Empire set. Congrats.

Len

Well I used it this morning.

I cant believe how different it is to an old type (ball end) and a single ring.

Very smooth with a Astra SP in it. I will be looking for another to put into my rotation! I dont want to risk damaging this little beauty!

Top Bottom