What's new

30mm experience?

Hey gents, I'm looking at purchasing a Thater and was hoping someone on here could shed some informative light for me. So far I've only used 24mm silvertips but this one caught my eye.

http://www.royalshave.com/p/411-170...y-fan-shape-silvertip-shaving-brush-30mm.html

now I know it's a fan shape which works out for me as my 2 other silvertips are both bulbs. But anyone with experience with 30mm knots? Are they truly too massive to really use in practical settings? Is it harder to control the lather? Does it eat up soaps(which might not be that bad as the significant other stated no more soaps until I start finishing off my current lot)? Any feedback would be appreciated. Also, depending on the feedback I receive, I might default to this brush:

http://www.royalshave.com/p/411-169...y-fan-shape-silvertip-shaving-brush-26mm.html

sorry one more question. What are the differences in the Thaters that cause the differences in price. I obviously understand that 2 band and 3 band will be different, but with those aside, with knot size alike, I've seen thaters range from $125-$200 for the same knot. Are the hairs different grade? Bc they all say finest silvertip. Thanx guys.

i love my 24mm black badger from tgn.it doesnt take long to lather my face.i guess it all depends on personal preference.

The one 30mm brush I have is indeed just too big for me. And I have a big face.

Hopefully someone can answer your question about the Thaters. I do believe it is related to the grade of hair. The labeling of "finest silver tip" and the like is quite variable from vendor to vendor with Thater. I'd pay attention to the model number.

I bought a Chubby 3 years ago,it's just too damn big ,unless you have a face like Rondo Hatton....Sure,2 passes across and you are lathered up,but the knot sucks up loads of cream your face just can't use.I really try not to waste anything in life,so I stick with brushes under 28mm,and almost all my brushes have 23-24mm knots...Believe it or not,my Vie-Long "Barber Pro Extra" horse hair brushes produce fine lather,and they have only an 18mm knot.

I had a Thater 4125/4 2 band, great brush, it was fun for a while, but in the end it was just too big, and impractical. ymmv.

I like large knots (28 - 30mm) and have quite a few @ 30mm. As mentioned, large knots are definitely a personal preference. Some knots perform well at 30mm and some don't.

I have a 4125/2, in 2-band fan, that was advertised as 26mm. Upon arrival, I measured the effective knot size, using my digital caliper, and it came in at 32mm. :001_huh: I thought my digital caliper was off, so broke out the analog caliper. Yep, both read 32mm. Overall height of the brush I have is 101.19mm and a handle height of 47.25mm.

For me, the brush I have, the loft is too high (measures at roughly 54mm), the splay on this knot is HUGE. and not enough backbone. And it's a 2-band.

Based on the advertised specs (overall height of 112mm) of the 30mm, 3-band you're looking at. . . . *whew*

24 is my sweet spot can stretch to 26 depending on the knot. In the end it is all about personal preference though for some 26 is already far too large while 30 is a brush made for elephants.

At 30mm and espeically with a fan you will want to watch out for loft height, at full splay it might cover your whole face. :lol:

On a side note! Are Thater 30mm 4125 brushes really that cheap over there!? I am looking at a European retailer (in Germany of all places) and the same brush comes to a hefty 177eur or 230usd.

Last edited:
A big part of why I got hooked on big brushes is the fact that I have large hands and a handle that's less than 50mm high just doesn't feel comfortable. I also enjoy the feeling of a large brush on my face.

I agree that larger brushes require more soap, but the price differential probably doesn't amount to more than a penny or two per day and the extra loading time is probably about 10 seconds.

$chubbies.jpg

* Rooney Stubby 3XL 2-Band fan was a monster (30 X 53mm)
* M&F 3XL Heritage 2-Band (30 X 52mm)
* M&F 3XL Finest (30 X 51mm)
* Chubby 2 Super (29.5 X 52mm)

None of these feel too large for me except the Rooney 3XL which I sold. If it had been a bulb knot, I would still have had it

May I suggest that you get a WD 30 mm brush? It is still an excellent brush, even for its price point, and you will spend far less to see what you think of large brushes.

I have two, both with WD handles. One has a WD knot set at 58 mm loft, and the other with a nearly unknown brand of super silvertip set at 69 mm loft. I immensely enjoy shaving with both, but I allow more time when shaving with them, as it takes a bit longer to build lather. I use each one about once a month. I would use them more often if I didn't travel so much.

Many of us refer to these 30+ mm knots as "beasts", as they can seem a bit unwieldy especially until you get accustomed to them. Until you try one, you don't know if you will like it or not.

I have a large thater bulb 3 band 31x50 Most large brushes will take more product to get them going. Its an experience that smaller brushes just dont give.
Since its a fan youre looking at that thing will spay more for sure. I prefer my silvertips to be bulb shaped it gives them more backbone and I enjoy the face feel more.

All that really matters is if you will enjoy it.

Anything over 25 is too big for me. Maybe not for you. As ambrose said, the fact that it is a fan will make the bloom even larger than a bulb.
If you get and don't like it - you can find a buyer in BST. here are folks that love a big boy.

The biggest for me was a 26mm Badger
When i test it i realise that covers my face and i am loosing the details
I set the loft lower and now pleases me much better.
Personally i would never buy a 30mm brush,i see no reason for that.

For me, all of this is a hobby. I say if you have the cash, try out the thater and if you don't like it, sell it and learn from the experience.

I personally love my 30 mm WD silvertip at 55mm loft. It's a huge knot, but it works just fine on my face and neck. I don't have a big face or hands, I just like big knots.

You don't know till you try is how I view it. Also, the prices on those 2 bands are pretty good. I'll have to keep my eye on them.

Top Bottom