What's new

3017ing Tobacco?

Hello Gents

As some of you may know, I will be moving back to the states for good at the beginning of August. Needless to say, I have a lot to pack up. Something I'm trying to reduce is opened tobacco. Having already paid a premium; in shipping to get it over here, or in the B&Ms, I don't want to risk getting slapped by customs on the way back.

For the above reasons I have been trying to just plow through those last several bowls worth in my mason jars. So far laid some tobaccos to rest; St. James Flake, Robert Lewis 123, Carter Hall and just this morning, Holly's Discovery.

Now, I'm all for smoking a variety of blends throughout the day. Having said that, I do find it very intriguing having a blend's impression fresh in your mind out of one pipe, and then getting a completely different one from another. Holly's Discovery in my Estella pot last night and the Wessex panel this morning were substantially different smoking experiences.

I doubt many are under the same moving circumstances that I am. But does anyone have a similar experience to this? Would you be interested in dedicating yourself to a blend till you finish it?

Hello Gents

As some of you may know, I will be moving back to the states for good at the beginning of August. Needless to say, I have a lot to pack up. Something I'm trying to reduce is opened tobacco. Having already paid a premium; in shipping to get it over here, or in the B&Ms, I don't want to risk getting slapped by customs on the way back.

For the above reasons I have been trying to just plow through those last several bowls worth in my mason jars. So far laid some tobaccos to rest; St. James Flake, Robert Lewis 123, Carter Hall and just this morning, Holly's Discovery.

Now, I'm all for smoking a variety of blends throughout the day. Having said that, I do find it very intriguing having a blend's impression fresh in your mind out of one pipe, and then getting a completely different one from another. Holly's Discovery in my Estella pot last night and the Wessex panel this morning were substantially different smoking experiences.

I doubt many are under the same moving circumstances that I am. But does anyone have a similar experience to this? Would you be interested in dedicating yourself to a blend till you finish it?

I don't dedicate myself to a blend, but i do find there are certain blends that just seem to disapear faster. carter hall, FM, FMC, night cap, and EMP to go faster. Also flakes and cakes tend to last longer for me because i tend to smoke them less.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yup...I've got a tin of Irish Oak I just popped open. The other tin of Irish Oak was in a plastic mouthed lid jar that is like at a tobacconist. I ran down the Acadian Perique that was in a regular mason 1/2 pint jar so I could store the new tin of Irish Oak in it.

I need to resist getting another flat of mason jars....resist, resist.

Yup...I've got a tin of Irish Oak I just popped open. The other tin of Irish Oak was in a plastic mouthed lid jar that is like at a tobacconist. I ran down the Acadian Perique that was in a regular mason 1/2 pint jar so I could store the new tin of Irish Oak in it.

I need to resist getting another flat of mason jars....resist, resist.

I think when I'm back in the states I'm only going to keep three tins or so open. It's nice to concentrate on a few tobaccos instead of having 20 plus jars open :(

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I think when I'm back in the states I'm only going to keep three tins or so open. It's nice to concentrate on a few tobaccos instead of having 20 plus jars open :(

I'll remind you of this post when you get back to the states and have 50 jars open.

Mail it back and label it what it is on the paperwork - glassware.

my favorite for our hobby is having it labeled "candle making supplies"

comes right to my door :)

I tried that. Do you know how many mason jars I have with half a tin in them.....well aged?

Right now, I am working through a pouch of OGS. I love this stuff. I too have found that it smokes differently in different pipes. Granted, I only have 4 pipes with me at the time being (the others are in storage waiting to be shipped in Dec). But that may change. :001_smile

So, yeah. I'll 3017 some baccy with you Andrew.

Right now, I am working through a pouch of OGS. I love this stuff. I too have found that it smokes differently in different pipes. Granted, I only have 4 pipes with me at the time being (the others are in storage waiting to be shipped in Dec). But that may change. :001_smile

So, yeah. I'll 3017 some baccy with you Andrew.

Woo Hoo!

Since the Holly's Discovery was polished off this morning. I think I'm going to be putting my Royal Yacht to sleep. :)

I currently have way too many open tins in jars. My show goal is to try and reduce them. It may take time but like you I'd love about 3 tins open at a time.

I recently decreased my supply of mclelland tg3 drastically by giving an ounce and a MM smokable second to each of several friends that had never tried pipe smoking before.

I had back to back bowls of 1792 last night from a fresh tin, that's the closest I've ever come to 3017'ing anything. :). Maybe I'll have another bowl of it tonight :0

Top Bottom