What's new

300 shaves on one DE blade!?!!

Haven't shaved with Nacets but since i've heard mostly good things about them, I bought 200 and they will arrive next week. If they can get me that many shaves, i'm selling everything else, including my Polsilver stash.
Well, my belief is that they are not a miracle blade. I think that the other things around the shave like a light touch and a really wet lather seem to be more important.

If you can't get 30 shaves from your pol silvers, Gillette silver blues, Gillette platinum's , or astra's, then I don't know that the Nacet will become a magical high mileage blade for you. But I think it performs really well anyway. I believe it will still give you really good shaves at whatever use count you're able to achieve.

(Sent from mobile)

Well, my belief is that they are not a miracle blade. I think that the other things around the shave like a light touch and a really wet lather seem to be more important.

If you can't get 30 shaves from your pol silvers, Gillette silver blues, Gillette platinum's , or astra's, then I don't know that the Nacet will become a magical high mileage blade for you. But I think it performs really well anyway. I believe it will still give you really good shaves at whatever use count you're able to achieve.

(Sent from mobile)
I didn't quote his statement in the OP, but one gentleman claimed that thoroughly drying the blade and not storing said blade in the razor between shaves was one of the practices that produced a significant difference in blade life. Something about microscopic oxidation. I'll see if I can find it.

That's what I do every time after I shave. I gently dry the blade on a soft towel and put it on a magnet and leave it in the bedroom. I've been doing that ever since I started and I don't know if it really helps or makes any difference than just leaving the blade wet in the razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I do every time after I shave. I gently dry the blade on a soft towel and put it on a magnet and leave it in the bedroom. I've been doing that ever since I started and I don't know if it really helps or makes any difference than just leaving the blade wet in the razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For somebody using a blade for only a handful of shaves, I don't imagine it would make much of a difference. For somebody getting months of use out of one, however, I could see it being a heavier variable. This is entirely speculation on my part.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
As someone who has only managed 9 shaves on a Bic chrome platinum I am in awe of anyone who can get 300 shaves from a blade, although it is something I doubt I will be able to replicate.
However I would like to point out that before any of us started down the rabbit hole we probably wouldn't have contemplated owning 100 razors, an army of brushes or enough soap and blades to last us well into the next life

While my temperament would make me a viable candidate to "go the distance," I approach every shave with the following goals:
- Get hair off my face
- Do so without irritation, weepers, or nicks
- Make it as comfortable as I can with the time and instruments that I have, at the level of competency I possess

If I sense that a blade is going to compromise comfort going into a shave, then to me it's not worth it.
Memento Mori, every shave could be my last. Best make it enjoyable.

I'm really enjoying this thread. Since June I've been going through a similar experiment to settle a bet with an Army buddy. Our bet deals with the cost of DE shaving versus cartridge shaving and only deals with head shaving (since I retired from the Army I don't shave my face any more).

Long story short, I hit the comfort wall at about 20 shaves regardless of the DE blade and struggle to fight my way through that wall. We originally thought our bet would take a year to settle but now we're guessing 6-8 years since we're getting so many extra shaves per blade/cartridge.

Stupid things to bet on when you're drunk.

Gillette Trac II oem (NOS) cartridges suck

I'm really enjoying this thread. Since June I've been going through a similar experiment to settle a bet with an Army buddy. Our bet deals with the cost of DE shaving versus cartridge shaving and only deals with head shaving (since I retired from the Army I don't shave my face any more).

Long story short, I hit the comfort wall at about 20 shaves regardless of the DE blade and struggle to fight my way through that wall. We originally thought our bet would take a year to settle but now we're guessing 6-8 years since we're getting so many extra shaves per blade/cartridge.

Stupid things to bet on when you're drunk.

Gillette Trac II oem (NOS) cartridges suck
I love your quantified approach to the bet. Making sure I understand... Do you chuck the blade when you got your comfort wall of 20? Or "push through"?

Also what are the conditions if the bet?

I love your quantified approach to the bet. Making sure I understand... Do you chuck the blade when you got your comfort wall of 20? Or "push through"?

Also what are the conditions if the bet?
We chuck them. We've both tried to push through but failed with DE blades. We decided that wasn't the spirit of the original bet anyway. The original bet was comfortable shaves. He's leaning heavily on cartridges since that's his preferred. We're both going to have to eventually swap to our least favorite method to make it fair. The only rule is we have to be honest and when we can't take it any more, make a note and get rid of them.

As far as the conditions. We're on the honor system on number of uses. We can use any software/routine we like and we can use any trick to extend the life. His original premise was if you follow the use and care instructions from the cartridge manufacturers you can get 30-60 comfortable shaves per cartridge and I disagreed. I know he strops his blades and cartridges towards the end of life. I also think he bought an aftermarket blade dryer. I only rinse and dry them. I tried stropping the Feather and I think I made it worse so I'm going to do a do-over with that blade (with his permission). I intend on only following the manufactures' instructions for maintaining the cartridges. Nothing fancy.

The winner gets a case of Busch Light tall boys.

Why? My blades cost 8 to 10 cents each. I use each 3 times for a per shave cost of 2.4 to 3.33 cents. I’m a cheapskate but, come on, man!

Eben Stone

Staff member
I plan to try some of the ideas suggested by the Excalibari. I'd like to get more then 1 exceptionally close shave from a Feather. I'd also like to try a Kai blade, but I cannot consider them cost effective unless I can get at least 14 shaves per blade. Maybe those are impossible for me, but won't know until I try.

Why? My blades cost 8 to 10 cents each. I use each 3 times for a per shave cost of 2.4 to 3.33 cents. I’m a cheapskate but, come on, man!
Once again, they claim a heavily used blade is smoother than a new or newish blade and that it has nothing to do with saving money.

I have a Nacet currently with 333 shaves on it. And it's not done.

My highest used Feather blade is above 60 uses as well.

I have several other blades at the 30 use mark.

1. At this point, I'm just purely scientifically curious how many reasonably close and reasonably comfortable uses I can get from one blade. Once this blade that I'm on reaches the end of life, the next time I use that same model, I'll probably just take it to 40 or 50 shaves.
2. I'm also hoping that some people try to go a little bit farther than the three to five shaves they're currently getting, since I believe that with most guys the 3-5 use concept is a myth that has unfortunately been propagated heavily. I hope that I can help people improve their technique with the razor as well as building really wet lathers... These two things, I believe are the secret. Getting longer blade life is just a byproduct. I've had a few doubters contact me and let me know they're really happy with the shaves they're getting above the 10 count mark that they were never able to do before.
3. I like the fact that if there are any poor students or folks that are on a tight budget.. and I can help them get longer blade life, then even the most expensive blade out there will turn into a budget blade, when you can use it 30 times.

(Sent from mobile)

I started reading this post and said hmm there’s a YouTuber who’s got around that many on a Nacet... and then scrolled up and what ya know.. it’s sugar daddy shaves hah

a blade is 12c... it owes me nothing after the first couple of shaves. The moment it under performs I bin it and get a new one.

If someone tells me he got 300+ shave on a single blade ... yeah well it might have been brought by the great pumpkin on Halloween night. Those blade are extraordinary indeed.
🤣

Once again, they claim a heavily used blade is smoother than a new or newish blade and that it has nothing to do with saving money.
And for the record, there are all kinds of us in the blade Marathon / hypermilers / excalibur club. I myself do not claim that a heavily used blade is smoother than a new-ish blade.

I think with many blades the third shave is much nicer smoother and sharper than the first one. This I attribute to perhaps a burr or coating on the edge of the blade that needs to be worn away so that the true blade edge shape can be used.

but that's obviously a far cry from calling a blade heavily used.

I'm in the camp of "yes, it does gradually get more dull, but it's possible that it does it extremely slowly, and still remains sharp enough for quite a while to deliver a good shave."

Just did shave 338 last night to start Nacet November, where I hope to hit 365 near the end of the month.

(Sent from mobile)

And for the record, there are all kinds of us in the blade Marathon / hypermilers / excalibur club. I myself do not claim that a heavily used blade is smoother than a new-ish blade.

I think with many blades the third shave is much nicer smoother and sharper than the first one. This I attribute to perhaps a burr or coating on the edge of the blade that needs to be worn away so that the true blade edge shape can be used.

but that's obviously a far cry from calling a blade heavily used.

I'm in the camp of "yes, it does gradually get more dull, but it's possible that it does it extremely slowly, and still remains sharp enough for quite a while to deliver a good shave."

Just did shave 338 last night to start Nacet November, where I hope to hit 365 near the end of the month.

(Sent from mobile)
Very cool. I can’t get past 7-8 shaves with any blade but I have a coarse beard, shave every day and shave my entire face. To each their own.

I just received 300 Nacets today. I guess you have no need to have hundreds or thousands of blades stored away. What do you have stored away? A couple of tucks? 😜

I bought 600 Feather blades, I can get 15+ shaves out of one blade. I think I could easily get 20-25 shaves out of one Feather razor but not 300 lol. With the Permasharps I get get max 7 shaves out of one blade, Astra's max 3-5 shaves. I have no idea why one wants to use one blade for 300 shaves before tossing it away. Like most here I already have enough blades, 600 feathers, 200 Permasharps, 200 Astra SP's.

Top Bottom