What's new

30 Year old Shulton Old Spice vs P&G

I managed to score a bottle of 30 year old Shulton Old Spice today and I am thrilled. I compared it to my bottle of P&G Classic Old Spice. I know there has been much debate here on if they smell different. There is now no doubt in my mind that the Shulton Formula does smell different... it is stronger and "spicier". My wife made the comparison and agreed 100%. :thumbup:

I managed to score a bottle of 30 year old Shulton Old Spice today and I am thrilled. I compared it to my bottle of P&G Classic Old Spice. I know there has been much debate here on if they smell different. There is now no doubt in my mind that the Shulton Formula does smell different... it is stronger and "spicier". My wife made the comparison and agreed 100%. :thumbup:

I have some from 1978 and U are correct.
I also love Avon Spicy from the early seventies...great stuff!
Good score.
Wp

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Many of us feel that way, though P&G deny it, and there is no solid evidence in the form of press releases, etc.

But don't you think the difference has something to do with the age of the juice?

I'm awaiting my bottle of Indian Shulton formula Old Spice for a direct comparison with the current P&G stuff. If it's different, I'll believe. But for right now I attribute the difference to the age of the product.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I don't believe it is purely a matter of ageing.
I'm not saying there is a vast P&G Conspiracy to change the product, but anyone would agree at least that some ingredients available 30 years ago are not the same as they are today.
The world changes, and ingredients change with it. The way they are processed, the source etc.
Overall products change in an evolutionary manner so subtle that differences cannot be detected unless a much older version is compared against a modern one.
You look much different than the picture of you at 10 years old, but every today you looked the same as yesterday.

When I tried it for the first time I had a flashback to my Grandfather who wore it. He has been dead for almost 20 years.

I have never had that reaction from P&G. I personally think the difference is that distinct.

Perhaps. I'm very curious about my side-by-side comparison with a bottle of fresh Shulton-formula OS. It'll be here Monday.

If the Indian version is different, I'll be happy. BVecause I don't particularly like the floral overtones of the P&G.

I'm thinking unless we wait for that whole Star Trek time travel thing -

"Captain's log, 2546.2. In an effort to find out what happened to the original Shulton formula for Old Spice, Spock, McCoy and I are asking The Guardian of Forever to send us to Old earth, circa 1968. We are leaving Lt.Uhura and Yeoman Rand behind, fearing their reaction if I accidentally splash some of the fabled vintage cologne on myself..."

We just aren't going to settle this. Until then I'm going with my nose, and it says the Shulton stuff is deeper and spicier. I don't know why, because I'm a shaver, dammit, not a chemical engineer.

Folks,

Manufacturers of cosmetic products refer to the IFRA guidelines for the safe use of fragrance materials in their products. Check out their site if you wish to know more:

http://www.ifraorg.org/

Many of the raw materials that are included in such formulas as the one being discussed here have undergone scrutiny and changes have been made in the amounts that are allowable under the recommendations of the IFRA.

I would think that the formulas "may" include most of the original ingredients but "perhaps" the amounts may vary now to comply with IFRA guidelines. I am no expert but you can certainly go to the above site for more information. I always check with them when making a new product. HTH!

My own experience is that the older OS is a much more natural smelling fragrance, as been said richer and spicier, deeper. I attribute this in a great extant to the switch to fragrance oils from essential oils.

I'm thinking unless we wait for that whole Star Trek time travel thing -

"Captain's log, 2546.2. In an effort to find out what happened to the original Shulton formula for Old Spice, Spock, McCoy and I are asking The Guardian of Forever to send us to Old earth, circa 1968. We are leaving Lt.Uhura and Yeoman Rand behind, fearing their reaction if I accidentally splash some of the fabled vintage cologne on myself..."

We just aren't going to settle this. Until then I'm going with my nose, and it says the Shulton stuff is deeper and spicier. I don't know why, because I'm a shaver, dammit, not a chemical engineer.

You forgot Ensign Smith, who will apply some Lilac Vegetal laced with a heroic dose of LSD and try to get into a fistfight with a 1963 Chevy Impala.

To me, the closest thing you can get in America to the original Old Spice scent is to sniff an OS round (classic) deodorant stick. You get that deep booziness of the original, instead of the sweet powder that seems to prevail in OS aftershave today.

However, I am a little worried that the round stick is beginning to disappear.

I should mention, if you have the round classic stick, try rubbing on the wrist. I know they say "Appy to Underarms Only", however I'm willing to live dangerously.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I should mention, if you have the round classic stick, try rubbing on the wrist. I know they say "Appy to Underarms Only", however I'm willing to live dangerously.

I bet you're one of those risk taker guys that drinks milk past the sales date aren't you?

:lol: :w00t:

To me, the closest thing you can get in America to the original Old Spice scent is to sniff an OS round (classic) deodorant stick. You get that deep booziness of the original, instead of the sweet powder that seems to prevail in OS aftershave today.

However, I am a little worried that the round stick is beginning to disappear.

There are 3 versions of the OS classic-scent deodorant available today - the High-Endurance deodorant, the High-Endurance AP, and a newer, smaller deodorant that has a sticker on the cap which says "Same classic round stick formula" or something, with an outline of the round-stick next to the blurb. So I think it'll be around for awhile longer.

Last edited:
I bet you're one of those risk taker guys that drinks milk past the sales date aren't you?

:lol: :w00t:

Yes! But with the precaution of putting Scotch in it! :lol:

On the round classic stick, if you lay down a layer of that stuff, and then cover it with a wash of the Ivy Club, you really got something going there, it's pretty darn close to the original. Not much "sillage" though.

Again, the company says only put on your underarms, I don't want any lawsuits around here. :w00t:

Last edited:
I'll just have old Jeeves put in on his underarms, then rub my wrists and face in his pits. Better safe than sorry!

One of you young guys whose going to be around long enough make a note, and see if they are having debates thirty years from now about the changing formulation of Ivy Club.

Okay, I'm a believer. Got my Indian Shulton OS today and in a side-by-side comparison with the P&G stuff, it's deeper, spicier, richer in scent. The P&G is noticeably lighter and has a sweetness to it.

Okay, I'm a believer. Got my Indian Shulton OS today and in a side-by-side comparison with the P&G stuff, it's deeper, spicier, richer in scent. The P&G is noticeably lighter and has a sweetness to it.

Well said..that is the descriptive I could not put my finger on.

i'm no chemist but i'm pretty sure if you took something that was 30 years old smelled it and then smelled that was 6 months old they would smell different. you guys are paranoid. you probably also believe in the vast conspiracy that the teamsters, mafia, cubans and ray kroc killed JFK.

Top Bottom