What's new

30 Year old Shulton Old Spice vs P&G

I couldn't take it anymore. This thread pushed me over the edge and I had to get some. Clicky!!!

Now the wait to get it might just kill me. :tongue_sm

I think you'll be pleased. The difference isn't like the one between Ivy Club and Old Spice, but you'll find the Indian Shulton formula to be deeper, less floral, and with a more complex drydown than P&G.

I managed to score a bottle of 30 year old Shulton Old Spice today and I am thrilled. I compared it to my bottle of P&G Classic Old Spice. I know there has been much debate here on if they smell different. There is now no doubt in my mind that the Shulton Formula does smell different... it is stronger and "spicier". My wife made the comparison and agreed 100%. :thumbup:

That doesn't surprise me. I pretty much quit using Old Spice because there's something lacking that used to be there. Probably cheaper to make the way they do it right now and P&G thinks we're too stupid to notice the difference. I now use bay rum in its place.

I've used the original Shulton and there is a noticeable difference even compared to very early P&G from right after the takeover. The P&G is less strong and has more of a vanilla component that original Shulton doesn't have. I don't think it's from aging. These alcohol based splashes are supposed to be pretty stable if stored in decent conditions. They can sour on you if stored improperly and some alcohol can evaporate.

If you dig into deeper threads you'll see comments from ClubmanRob about specific diufferences in the formulation that accoun for changes in scent.

Raise your hand if you're wearing Shulton O.S. right now.

Raise your other hand if you're wearing an onion on your belt.

Raise both hands if you're wearing both.

Got to love the old school OS! Just picked up an old scrimshaw decanter from the bay that was listed as "still has some in it". Well, aparently "some" means 80% full! AHhhhhh....what a great scent.

Okay, I'm a believer. Got my Indian Shulton OS today and in a side-by-side comparison with the P&G stuff, it's deeper, spicier, richer in scent. The P&G is noticeably lighter and has a sweetness to it.
Cool! Can you please let me know from what site you ordered it?

Thanks!
-Greg

Cool! Can you please let me know from what site you ordered it?

Thanks!
-Greg

Try eBay! It's where I got mine. I just ordered some and I added the link to one of my earlier post to this thread. Look up a little ways. :001_smile

Even today with all the shavegeeks chasing after this stuff it's still pretty easy to score original Shulton OS off the Bay if you are patient. There is always some risk that the product has suffered from poor storage conditions or has been substituted with newer formulation, but is a risk I think is worth taking. I haven't been burned yet and I've purchased around fifteen bottles of various OS scents including Lime (which is pretty much impossible to get on the Bay cheaply now) and Leather.

Just make sure you are bidding on vintage Shulton. If you get any of the funky shaped bottles like ship's wheel, admiral, flask, lantern, telescope, etc you'll be getting original. If you are buying the regular OS bottle make sure there is a clipper not a yacht and you should be OK.

I usually shoot for no more than $20 for a bottle shipped and I've managed to score as much Shulton OS as I could possibly want. Best of all, my wife would freak if she saw all this stash so it's in the basement where it's nice and cool and dark and will last a long time. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Even today with all the shavegeeks chasing after this stuff it's still pretty easy to score original Shulton OS off the Bay if you are patient.
Patient? Try "lucky." I failed to win any auction on vintage OS I bid in, which eventually drove me towards the Indian variety.

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Patient? Try "lucky." I failed to win any auction on vintage OS I bid in, which eventually drove me towards the Indian variety.

Here's a tip.
Don't look for aftershave, look for bottles.
Read the ad and see if there is mention of the bottle being still full.
If you're searching for Vintage Old Spice Aftershave, the seller knows what he has and yaks the start price up.

Here's a tip.
Don't look for aftershave, look for bottles.
Read the ad and see if there is mention of the bottle being still full.
If you're searching for Vintage Old Spice Aftershave, the seller knows what he has and yaks the start price up.

+1. I picked up a full 4.75 oz bottle of vintage Shulton ASL for $8 shipped. I just used it for the first time today, and was very impressed with both scent and performance.

Scored a bottle of Shulton from the 'bay, and used it this morning. A+!
I like it much better than Ivy spice. As one poster mentioned, "it has a more complex drydown". Don't think I could have come up with that myself :001_smile but it describes it well. Cost a total of $15. A bit more than I would have liked, but there are plenty of pricier AS out there. I'll keep looking for deals (I want backup bottles), but all in all, I consider it money well spent.

Scored a bottle of Shulton from the 'bay, and used it this morning. A+!
I like it much better than Ivy spice. As one poster mentioned, "it has a more complex drydown". Don't think I could have come up with that myself :001_smile but it describes it well. Cost a total of $15. A bit more than I would have liked, but there are plenty of pricier AS out there. I'll keep looking for deals (I want backup bottles), but all in all, I consider it money well spent.

It lasts a long time, especially in a rotation, so it's probably a pretty reasonable price, all things considered.

Top Bottom