What's new

30 in 30 ... salad it is

Well folks, the summer is on its way. School is out for the kids and it got me thinking. As a kid back home in France, summer break meant staying home with my 6 years older brother must of the summer and going to the maternal grand parents for lunch.

I can't say that it was always fun to say the least, my grand father was never a nice person to must and certainly not to me.

As for lunch it was a constant, starter, entree, salad, dairy (cheese or yogurt) and then finally desert (must of the time fruit unless it was a Saturday at which point it was a pastry)

This is for a 6 to 10 yo kid a lot of food and must of the time by the time the salad showed up, I was full already but no matter what you had to clean up your plate and regardless of how little my grand mother filled up the plate it was must of the time really hard to eat that damn salad. As a result I hate salad with a passion and for 40 years I have avoided salad like the plague (no one in my family would dare serve me salad, they know the trauma).

But well I decided that this month of June I would eat a salad every day ... or at least I will try. It might be a side dish, main dish, at home at a restaurant, but I will try to eat one everyday.

It's not June yet , but I decided to get an early start.

Deviled eggs and salad as a side dish.

IMG-1078.jpg

I understand the issue with salad based on your history with it. There are many ways to change it up and you might find a few that are enjoyable. You can do a chef's salad (at least the US kind - France may be different). That is cold cuts, usually cut up ham, cheese, turkey, and perhaps sausage) on top of mixed greens. Cobb salad is a favorite of mine. Adding fruit, especially strawberry, blueberry, and raspberry makes a nice twist this is particularly good with a strawberry or raspberry vinaigrette.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
That is a goal that will require some variety. Here are a couple that even those in our home who do not love salads enjoy. We love baby arugula with strips of beet and fresh mozzarella, a sprinkling of marcona almonds, and a 3:1 white wine vinegar to olive oil with a bit of Dijon mustard shaken into a vinaigrette. The other is thinly sliced fennel bulb, celery, and onion with strips of hard salami and pepper Jack cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, and a bit torn up fennel fronds. I admire your goal.

a long time ago a friend told me, pizza is basically a cooked salad.

Enjoy your salads and hopefully you’ll start to enjoy them. There is a premade salad that I really enjoy, I don’t remember the name but it’s a Thai heat or sweet Thai, something Thai we get at grocery outlet. Now that I think about it, I’m going to go get some today.

I make a nice apple, walnut, Gorgonzola salad. I use Granny Smith apples and champagne dressing. Pecans work also. You can use strawberries instead of apples and a raspberry vinaigrette.

Howdy, Thank you all for the encouragement / proposition, variety will be the name of the game over wise it will be a failure

a long time ago a friend told me, pizza is basically a cooked salad.

Enjoy your salads and hopefully you’ll start to enjoy them. There is a premade salad that I really enjoy, I don’t remember the name but it’s a Thai heat or sweet Thai, something Thai we get at grocery outlet. Now that I think about it, I’m going to go get some today.
glad I could help with your evening meal plan

I lived in Bangkok for a while and had many Thai salads - there is a huge variety so you might want to think about a Thai cookbook.

Day 2.

Not sure if I will be able to get one in tonight , so lunch it was. Added some green to my usual lunch set up and call it good 1?3 canned corn, 1/3 mixed green/red pepper and red onion and 1/3 cherry tomato halved and a solid helping of spring mix, this is served with a cold mix of Jasmine rice and ground chicken cooked with taco spice

IMG-1082.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I enjoy a homemade Caesar salad with any of the spicy chicken strips/breasts we make, at least, American style. Romaine lettuce, the blackened or otherwise spiced chicken and Marie's Caesar salad dressing... and I often add some Marie's Chipotle Ranch dressing as well.. so not truly homemade. The dressing is cheating but good and so simple. Grated hard cheese of some sort, depending on what we have around. Fresh ground black pepper tops it off. No croutons since I'm on that low carb thing.

Day 5

Enjoyable dinner , somehow still feels like a repeat, at least the green were fresher.

Dropped the relish as I am not fan of this, forgot the cheese which should make it healthier I guess.

The sauce did make it enjoyable and I guess the helping of mayo took away the healthy part of it.

IMG-1094.jpg

Tomorrow is Taco Tuesday, so should be a small side salad and some already incorporated to the taco anyway.

Day 6. also known as D day

Tuesday Taco.

Call it cheating if you will but all the salad fixing were there.

This french man had not eaten radish in like forever. Unfortunately once in the taco they were not really "visible".

3 round of 3 taco got me fed and the chicken tights fully eaten.

IMG-1095.jpg

The original Pegasus Bridge, now laying in a field a few hundred yards from its original position. I did cross it a few times as a kid before they replaced it with a longer copy cat when the canal was enlarged.

IMG-0104.jpg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I enjoy a homemade Caesar salad with any of the spicy chicken strips/breasts we make, at least, American style. Romaine lettuce, the blackened or otherwise spiced chicken and Marie's Caesar salad dressing... and I often add some Marie's Chipotle Ranch dressing as well.. so not truly homemade. The dressing is cheating but good and so simple. Grated hard cheese of some sort, depending on what we have around. Fresh ground black pepper tops it off. No croutons since I'm on that low carb thing.
We make a similar chicken Caesar. I grill and slice chicken thighs. We use Cardini's but cut it with a little squeeze of lemon. Like you, we add hard cheese, usually a little freshly grated pec Rom or Parm. I like those packs of three heads of romaine. One head cut in a half inch chiffonade is just right for the two of us.

Top Bottom