What's new

3 tubs of arko

I'm used to SV quality soaps, or lately Proraso in all its variety. However Amazon has bargains of Arko, so bought 3 tubs for £7 . If I don't like it can use for bath soap.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I'll give it a good lot of use. Scent won't put me off and won't be an issue as with some.
For me the scent is a major part of the attraction. It reminds me of my late Mother and the lemon products she used to clean the kitchen and the front door step. Every time I use Arko I think of her and remember my happy childhood. It is not so much the scent, but what the scent does that makes Arko great for me. It is a real treasure that I don't get from any other soap. For me Arko is a bargain at twenty times the current price, because of the scent.

For me the scent is a major part of the attraction. It reminds me of my late Mother and the lemon products she used to clean the kitchen and the front door step. Every time I use Arko I think of her and remember my happy childhood. It is not so much the scent, but what the scent does that makes Arko great for me. It is a real treasure that I don't get from any other soap. For me Arko is a bargain at twenty times the current price, because of the scent.
Now that Williams is discontinued you could add it to your vintage armada :)
Scentwise Arko and Williams are close siblings.

I had bought 12 sticks of ARKO back in January, but I gave two away as presents.

Btw, I stumbled upon this instagram post from Evyap, which I think says that the name ARKO comes from the name of the son of the guy who introduced the soap back in 1957, namely, Artin, a shorter form of which was Arto.

There is still some difference between Arko and Arto, but that is what the post says :p

IMG_20220107_140209(1).jpg

I've had 3 shaves with Arko, and they were excellent. Silky smooth soap as good as anything at a higher price. The fans of this soap are right!
My face was not soft after the shave until 5 minutes wait, but then feels soft and smooth. It takes a lot of water.
Why is it so cheap? I've 2 ideas, firstly, it does not contain any expensive scents, plus, Goods made in Turkey tend to be low cost , in fact one of the cheapest , but good, countries to have a holiday. Just a thought.

I've had 3 shaves with Arko, and they were excellent. Silky smooth soap as good as anything at a higher price. The fans of this soap are right!
My face was not soft after the shave until 5 minutes wait, but then feels soft and smooth. It takes a lot of water.
Why is it so cheap? I've 2 ideas, firstly, it does not contain any expensive scents, plus, Goods made in Turkey tend to be low cost , in fact one of the cheapest , but good, countries to have a holiday. Just a thought.
As you noted, ARKO needs a lot of water, and if you don't provide it yourself, it will draw it from you face. Otherwise, ARKO is pretty non-drying and mild on the face.

As you noted, ARKO needs a lot of water, and if you don't provide it yourself, it will draw it from you face. Otherwise, ARKO is pretty non-drying and mild on the face.
Wanted to say amen. Arko can leave your face feeling dry. It is user error. Happens from time to time. I can understand that people may avoid the potentiality by using a different soap.

Fine. There is a solution, and when all else fails there's moisturizer. If an artist can work with clay and still have beautiful hands, I ought to be able to figure out a shaving soap. Or not. To each his own.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I'm used to SV quality soaps, or lately Proraso in all its variety. However Amazon has bargains of Arko, so bought 3 tubs for £7 . If I don't like it can use for bath soap.
What’s not to like? It’s a great soap at a very low price. I rarely use anything else. Recently bought two twelve packs just in case it went up a dime.

I had bought 12 sticks of ARKO back in January, but I gave two away as presents.

Btw, I stumbled upon this instagram post from Evyap, which I think says that the name ARKO comes from the name of the son of the guy who introduced the soap back in 1957, namely, Artin, a shorter form of which was Arto.

There is still some difference between Arko and Arto, but that is what the post says :p

View attachment 1430160
Reminds me of Sabian cymbals (kids: SAlly, BIlly, ANdy).

I put a puck in the bottom of a shaving mug and the soap gets better and better with each use. As the mug has no lid, the scent softens , face also nice .

I would argue that Arko is an SV quality soap, or possibly better. If I did not mainly use vintage soaps then Arko would be at or near the top of my list. I hope you enjoy it 👍
Agree, Arko is one of the best soaps from an overall shave quality perspective including ease of building lather, later quality and residual slickness.

Top Bottom