What's new

3 Piece Threads and Handles, OIL?

Now that I have acquired an army of 3 piece razors, I’m wondering about protecting the threads. I also wonder about water getting into the handle threads after cleaning the razor. I can’t believe anything good can come from that.
I’ve seen some folks talk about mineral oil and even Vaseline. As I understand it, Wd40 was originally made for protection from water. All of those ideas seem to make me think of having a “floppy” head on my 3 piece. Additionally, im curious about those crazy folks that use a rubber washer on their 3 piece razors.
I’m certain that my mileage will vary, but I’d like opinions. (No! I’m not using locktite blue.)

When not in service, I leave my 3 piece razors broken down. They are brass, so I clean them and dry them then store them. When they are in use, I rinse them and store them assembled. I have never had a problem with them.

When not in service, I leave my 3 piece razors broken down. They are brass, so I clean them and dry them then store them. When they are in use, I rinse them and store them assembled. I have never had a problem with them.
That’s my routine as well. Once or twice a year I’ll clean my razors & add mineral oil as a last step. Mineral oil is also added on my Tito’s. A silicone spacer is added on 3 piece razors to prevent wear marks from appearing on the underside of the blade tray.

Vaseline is OK, and resistant to being washed out. There are silicone greases such as Napa Sil-Glyde that will work very well, have no odor and will not harm rubber or plastic parts.

A silicone washer is not a bad idea. It avoids the problem of over-tightening and for some razors gives you a bit of adjustability. You will notice some razors shave better when the handle is not completely tightened down, just a quarter turn or so back from that point.

I use a bit of Vaseline now and then or a drop of gun oil: I use Zero Friction needle Oiler from Pro-Shot Products.

That’s my routine as well. Once or twice a year I’ll clean my razors & add mineral oil as a last step. Mineral oil is also added on my Tito’s. A silicone spacer is added on 3 piece razors to prevent wear marks from appearing on the underside of the blade tray.
Never thought about a spacer, what size and where can I find therm?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I use 3In-One oil on my three piece razors. Where do I find the silicone washers? That is a very good idea. I also put a drop of oil on the center post of my TTO razors too. With a precision oiler.

I have a 3 piece Tech my dad bought when he was stationed in Subic Bay back in the 1950's. It's been used by a lot of folks in my family and was never oiled. It was left coated in soap scum, sitting in shower stall, wiped but never cleaned. I cleaned it when I first got it back 7 years ago, but it was in tip-top working order. Newer razors with parts that can corrode perhaps need the TLC, but the old warhorses just keep on going.

Top Bottom