What's new

3 pass question

I also noticed that 30 minutes after the shave, I feel like I have a closer shave than what I thought I achieved.

This is pretty normal, because your hair grows in length, when it is getting wet, when it is dried again is shrinks to its normal size.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So it looks like my question is more like a few questions. Can I expect a closer shave with the razors I ordered? Should I go straight to the Feather blade? And does anybody else find the WTG and XTG to be a waste of time?

Can you expect a closer shave? Perhaps, but dont count on it. I suspect you'll find the Super Adjustable and the SS an easy, possibly more efficient shave. I prefer the design of the Slim, Super Adjustable and most Fatboys base over the more common flat Gillette TTO base. It has an extra design element, highlighted in red below.

Slim_Blade_Support_Points.jpg

When the razor is fully closed, they clamp the blade to the inside of the doors. That greatly enhances the rigidity of the blade and is why I find the Slim a very smooth razor, even on higher settings. I use mine on 7 and 9 when I do use it.

The more stable blade increases efficiency quite a bit I believe and is the reason my razor progression has moved to ever more rigid designs.

Feather blades are a personal preference. I had a love/hate relationship with them for a year until I found soaps that better agree with my skin. Those soaps also removed all the harshness I felt during that year long love/hate relationship. Now, Feather is one of my top DE blades. Arguably, my #1 choice, but that initial sharpness doesnt last long for me.

I quite often skip a WTG pass and quite often again, start directly ATG first pass and have at up to 78 hours growth with my Fatip Grande and around 100 hours growth with my GEM MMOC.

I didnt record my last shave here, but it was Monday evening or night. I dont remember.

MMOC/PTFE for its 4th shave.

WK.

Maggard Synthetic.

~100 hours since last shave. I dont think it would matter if it was around 200 hours.

Single buffing pass ATG. One clean up. The MMOC is all business and this was business as usual.

Nice comfy BBS. What more could be asked for.

If you like highly efficient razors that have a rigid design, the Fatip OC is hard to beat. My MMOC is twice as efficient and yet smoother and more gentle on my skin. It does take some time to learn however, so if you're thinking of trying one, be patient and tread lightly.

I always shave for a BBS as well. Typically with my Fatip and any decent blade I have a 12 hour BBS. With my MMOC and a GEM PTFE blade, typically 14 hours, but as high as almost 19 with a fresh blade.

I just finished a shave with my MMOC and a PTFE blade on its 7th shave, I think, with a superlather of Nivea Sensitive and CRS Sandalwood creams. Even my neck is shiny and I have no irritation whatsoever.

Can you expect a closer shave? Perhaps, but dont count on it. I suspect you'll find the Super Adjustable and the SS an easy, possibly more efficient shave. I prefer the design of the Slim, Super Adjustable and most Fatboys base over the more common flat Gillette TTO base. It has an extra design element, highlighted in red below.

View attachment 1065912

When the razor is fully closed, they clamp the blade to the inside of the doors. That greatly enhances the rigidity of the blade and is why I find the Slim a very smooth razor, even on higher settings. I use mine on 7 and 9 when I do use it.

The more stable blade increases efficiency quite a bit I believe and is the reason my razor progression has moved to ever more rigid designs.

Feather blades are a personal preference. I had a love/hate relationship with them for a year until I found soaps that better agree with my skin. Those soaps also removed all the harshness I felt during that year long love/hate relationship. Now, Feather is one of my top DE blades. Arguably, my #1 choice, but that initial sharpness doesnt last long for me.

I quite often skip a WTG pass and quite often again, start directly ATG first pass and have at up to 78 hours growth with my Fatip Grande and around 100 hours growth with my GEM MMOC.

If you like highly efficient razors that have a rigid design, the Fatip OC is hard to beat. My MMOC is twice as efficient and yet smoother and more gentle on my skin. It does take some time to learn however, so if you're thinking of trying one, be patient and tread lightly.

I always shave for a BBS as well. Typically with my Fatip and any decent blade I have a 12 hour BBS. With my MMOC and a GEM PTFE blade, typically 14 hours, but as high as almost 19 with a fresh blade.

I just finished a shave with my MMOC and a PTFE blade on its 7th shave, I think, with a superlather of Nivea Sensitive and CRS Sandalwood creams. Even my neck is shiny and I have no irritation whatsoever.

I have a beard so I just shave my cheeks and neck. I can use any one of my Merkurs..... 34c,15c, 37c, progress or Viking blade emperor and get a bbs/dfs. On my cheeks I do a 2 pass xtg & atg and get bbs...... on my neck I do atg & xtg and get a dfs, if I try for a bbs I’ll get irritation there so I’m good with that. Preparation and technique is key ..... pre shave prep and a good quality slick lather is a must, as is technique with your razor loaded with a quality blade..... enjoy !

AoM/BoSS

I started out using a 34C and used to experience something very similar described in your OP. My first pass, WTG never took much stubble away and was patchy at best. Only by using the shallowest of angles possible, which isn't easy with a 34C because of the small range of angle possible, and a lot of pressure, could I achieve even that.

My very first shave with a Gillette Tech was a different story. I remember thinking that I could've left it at one pass, WTG if I'd been in a hurry. The reason is, I also believe, because of rigidity. I don't know how rigidly the TTO's you have on the way hold the blade compared to a Tech. My hunch is that a vintage Gillette will give you a better shave than a 34C, first pass. Let us know how you get on with them.

Dizzy yet? There is a lot of good advice above. My one dissenting opinion follows: i started with the Merkur 34C after experimenting with a Weishi. Other's opinions influenced me to buy several razors before I found what worked for me-a Merkur Progress. The beauty of this pearl is that you can adjust to different levels of aggessiveness until you find what works for you. If you go this route, keep the following i mind: (1) You still must complete the learning curve to get your technique down, and (2) If you go the adjustable route, don't play with the adjustments too much-you still must complete the learning curve. My experience: A Merkur 34 is too mild. I cannot get a truly close shave without irritation. The Progress at setting 3-3.5 with an Astra SP blade works best for me. It has probably been drilled into you by now, but YMMV...

As always, lots of great advice above. I am +whatever number in favor of sticking with one setup (razor being most important variable, imo) to iron out your technique and mapping the growth of your beard.

My $0.02: the shaving angle for your WTG/XTG passes is off, but you seem predisposed to the proper angle when shaving ATG. I don't have a large arsenal of razors, but the 34C is one of them. I found the optimum angle for this razor by starting with the handle near-perpendicular to my face and gradually adjusting the handle closer to my face until it started cutting whiskers. The optimum angle of handle to face should be roughly 30 degrees.

Top Bottom