What's new

(3) new RazoRock brushes in this week -- surprised by all of them

Hi folks -- I thought I should start a thread to "show & tell" these three brushes. I ordered all of them recently and none of my expectations for how each might be in person were met -- most of this is very positive; other parts (mildly) negative.

In short, I expected the "Keyhole" to be smaller in overall height. I had intended this to be my new travel brush. I couldn't find a handle height measurement posted anywhere (while the IB site showed the loft to be 57mm), but I can say the the total height on mine is 105mm. I was hoping for closer to 95mm (< 100cm) so it would better fit my "travel case" (ahem, a 40-gram pill bottle), but alas I'll just keep my Simpson Commodore X2 in there instead and give this one to my teenager. The feel of the brush is good and it does it's job. At the price these sell for, it was well worth it either way.

As for the "Hive 24 Mokasoft HD" -- well, this one isn't my cup of tea. I honestly had the highest expectations for this one, but I think I'm so used to lathering with my "best badger" and badger bristle brushes that its softness was a bridge too far. I only have "swirled" it in my palm so far, but I can tell it's going to end up with someone else. The brush itself is beautiful and return shipping to IB in Canada makes sending it back a chore. I can say that if anyone is looking for a very soft brush, this might be your perfect face-painter.

Finally, the "BC Silvertip" (synthetic) brush. This one was a last minute add to my cart. I wasn't sure I cared for the look of the handle and I was primarily shopping for a brush with a shorter handle. Still, the price was right so I took the plunge -- I am so very glad I did. This is easily my favorite of the bunch. This is a nearly perfect face-lathering/painting brush. The only demerit I give it is that it's a bit more "springy" than my well-used badger-haired Simpson, so it tends to fling lather if I'm rushing things. The feel of the brush itself is VERY nice and everything about the brush looks far better in person than the photos on the RR/IB webpage. This one's a keeper...(and if anyone wants to part with theirs, I have a Hive 24 Moka' that I'd happily swap for it.)

RR brushes.jpgRR brushes2.jpgRR brushes3.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Hive Mokasoft on the way. I hope I like it and it's not too soft for me too.

I really looked hard at the Keyhole, but decided against it... for now. How's the performance on that one?

Reactions: OB1
The keyhole is a middle-roader. I like the narrow "waist" of the handle, as it fits the older brush stand I gave to my son. It's his first brush and he really likes it so far and it seems to do everything well-enough. Based just on my "palm swirl test," I think I'd prefer it for face lathering to the Mokasoft (but since I'm not planning keep my Hive 24 Moka, I'm not going to test that). I've been on a shaving forums hiatus for about a decade or so, so I've only recently been learning about all these new large knot diameter brushes, synth knots, etc. For the previous 12+ years, by only 2 brushes were my trusty Simpson Commodore X2 (best badger) and a Parker "Black Badger Bristle" - 21mm/20mm knots, respectively...though the Parker has a lot of loft/bloom for such a "small" knot - it's also a great & scrubby puck or face latherer. Had the keyhole been about 10mm shorter, it'd be exactly what I was looking for in a travel brush. I've got a Yaqi R1730 Sagrada Familia (Tuxedo) brush on the way in the mail. I expect its overall height to be about 100mm, so I'm hoping it will work as my new travel brush. The only reason I'm looking to change out my Simpson for travel is I'd hate to lose it (sentimental) and the synthetics dry faster/don't require soaking.

Last edited:
I own several synthetics, and I have owned many more, and the Hive Moka 24 is perhaps my favorite. I suppose I must prefer relatively soft synthetic brushes, because I much prefer the Hive to brushes like the Simpsons Chubby, Duke and Trafalgar synthetics.

I have two 24mm Razorock Plissoft brushes and they are my favorite synthetic brushes, and I rarely use my Simpson Trafalgar brushes. My second-hand PAA Peregrino is dead last, by a wide margin.

Having said that, the other two synthetic brushes that were on my radar were the two RR brushes the OP didn't like: the beehive and keyhole. 😄

I will not be deterred! If I ever feel the need for another synthetic, it will one of those, or both.

Today I purchased the RazoRock Chubby Extra Silvertip Badger Shaving Brush - Black Handle as a replacement for my old travel brush. I am looking forward to it arriving. It’s replacing my very old FS silver tip. Over the years That brush has traveled with me all over Northern Americas, Europe and Asia. I will miss that old friend. I hope this new brush will make an awesome morning companion. It has big shoes to fill.

I absolutely love my Razorock BC Silvertip. I would recommend this brush to anyone.

Finally, the "BC Silvertip" (synthetic) brush. This one was a last minute add to my cart. I wasn't sure I cared for the look of the handle and I was primarily shopping for a brush with a shorter handle. Still, the price was right so I took the plunge -- I am so very glad I did. This is easily my favorite of the bunch. This is a nearly perfect face-lathering/painting brush.

One of my favorite synthetics. It's a "Goldilocks" brush ... not too soft, not too firm ---
"just right" all around happiness !

B4066AAA-8087-4787-888D-DE5DB3FC65C6.jpeg
E313B85E-B7CE-4D81-A802-DF67FA204067.jpeg

Top Bottom