What's new

3 minute shave tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Primarily to report defective items. It is helpful for manufacturers to know if certain batches are getting through QC, or if specific retailers are handling items inappropriately resulting in damage.

As to the original post, I neither understood it nor could extrapolate sufficient coherence to enable even a wild guess. But I would recommend that you do NOT call a consumer support line whilst in the shower, especially if you are lathered up. That would just be weird.
In a perfect world the phone stays outta the bathroom. Both at home and out and about.

I read an interesting article several years back about how generations are born without any knowledge of things past. Some examples that come to mind - the chatter of a typewriter, using a library card catalog, phone booths, black and white television sets, etc.

We can apply that same concept here. I am of an age with those who grew up before the internet. We figured stuff out in other ways, usually through libraries, friends, families, mentors, etc. Now, apply that in shaving. I watched my dad and older brothers shave and copied what they did. While they didn't apply shaving cream and leave it on their faces for three minutes, they shaved the way they thought best. Truthfully, shaving as a hobby never occurred to me until I went back to wet shaving in 2013. Before then, I just shaved. Others on this forum may have experimented and stumbled on practices that went beyond just slapping lather on the face and shaving, but folks like me just bought the same product everyone else did and shaved.

Let's not overthink the past. We humans figure a lot of stuff out by trial and error. The difference today is the explosion of methods to disseminate and discuss information instantaneously.

I had no idea of the Gillette resources @larryjohnson is referring to, nor would I have been able to unless I stumbled on it accidently.

All that said, I cannot think of a better source of good information for all things shaving than Badger & Blade, nor a finer group of people.

The opposite is also true. People born in this generation have not grown up without internet, flat screens, cell phones, etc. and cannot understand how life could have been lived without them. I am trying to remember my attitude towards the generations before me as a young person, and while there were certainly differences, the explosive pace of change in technology just wasn't there in the 60s - 70s when I came to adulthood like it is today.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
There are two things that are intuitively obvious at this point:

1. FarmerTan should absolutely not be shaving under his nose first!!!!

2. If you have a question you should ask the experts here, not at Gillette. We've got the answers - more than anyone can possibly fathom or use in this case.
I apparently don't do it right either. I start on my right cheek and when I get to my chin I shave that. It's amazing we still have faces!

The opposite is also true. People born in this generation have not grown up without internet, flat screens, cell phones, etc. and cannot understand how life could have been lived without them. I am trying to remember my attitude towards the generations before me as a young person, and while there were certainly differences, the explosive pace of change in technology just wasn't there in the 60s - 70s when I came to adulthood like it is today.
Deep thought post alert

I really think those of us born in the period 1950-1970 are the most privileged generations maybe in recorded history.

We provide a cognitive and memory bridge between the pre and post 'internet age' to ourselves, and those around us. When we are gone, that bridge will be no more. Almost a terrifying thought.

I well recall conversations with friends in the late 70's-early 80's when we would say things like 'wouldn't it be good if there was a computer that gave you access to all the books in the world' or 'it would be great if there was a computer that let you see all the films ever made'. I recall conversations like that vividly in the early 80's especially with the rise and availablity of home computers. It seemed realisable. However we never mentioned, as I recall, any concept of 'social media' like twatter, etc.

We could see the internet age coming. We also spoke of phones, much like modern cell phones, except we used Star Trek TOS parlance. 'Communicators' my friends and I termed them.

the difference between now and then was that we saw the future, while deeply respecting the technological past. I recall reading of the H2S centimetric radar system in the early 80's (a ground mapping radar that came out in 1942) and the first transatlantic cable from the 1850's where you could send a telegram to the States from Britain. Wow! Many, many scientific gifts from the then recent or not so recent past. Antibiotics saved my life a couple of times in the 60's.

My Grandmother was probably better off as a generational time traveller. She was born in 1895 and passed in 1984. I recall telling her that she saw the dawn of flight, spaceflight, radio and wireless, television, antibiotics, etc. She smiled vaguely and ate some more grapes, while turning back to the TV to watch the wrestling.

I think the 1950-70 generation had a keen realisation of what the future would hold, while at the same time realising that we 'stood on the shoulders of giants' for this.

This seems to have been lost. The 'internet generation' paradoxically have lost all sense of wonder or even basic knowledge for scientific advancement in the past in terms of scientific achievement and have retreated into a paranoid, somewhat fearful place in their heads it seems. A severe loss of imagination also seems evident. And so easily led by vague fears. Almost a crippled generation who would have no idea on any level of a great American Presidents' phrase "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"

That's maybe why there are also no great Sc-Fi films made anymore. This is the dull, banal and self-obsessed 'Selfie Future'.

I'm glad I am old but glad I saw the future in a wonderous sense.

Last edited:
Deep thought post alert

I really think those of us born in the period 1950-1970 are the most privileged generations maybe in recorded history.

We provide a cognitive and memory bridge between the pre and post 'internet age' to ourselves, and those around us. When we are gone, that bridge will be no more. Almost a terrifying thought.

I well recall conversations with friends in the late 70's-early 80's when we would say things like 'wouldn't it be good if there was a computer that gave you access to all the books in the world' or 'it would be great if there was a computer that let you see all the films ever made'. I recall conversations like that vividly in the early 80's especially with the rise and availablity of home computers. It seemed realisable. However we never mentioned, as I recall, any concept of 'social media' like twatter, etc.

We could see the internet age coming. We also spoke of phones, much like modern cell phones, except we used Star Trek TOS parlance. 'Communicators' my friends and I termed them.

the difference between now and then was that we saw the future, while deeply respecting the technological past. I recall reading of the H2S centimetric radar system in the early 80's (a ground mapping radar that came out in 1942) and the first transatlantic cable from the 1850's where you could send a telegram to the States from Britain. Wow! Many, many scientific gifts from the then recent or not so recent past. Antibiotics saved my life a couple of times in the 60's.

My Grandmother was probably better off as a generational time traveller. She was born in 1895 and passed in 1984. I recall telling her that she saw the dawn of flight, spaceflight, radio and wireless, television, antibiotics, etc. She smiled vaguely and ate some more grapes, while turning back to the TV to watch the wrestling.

I think the 1950-70 generation had a keen realisation of what the future would hold, while at the same time realising that we 'stood on the shoulders of giants' for this.

This seems to have been lost. The 'internet generation' paradoxically have lost all sense of wonder or even basic knowledge for scientific advancement in the past in terms of scientific achievement and have retreated into a paranoid, somewhat fearful place in their heads it seems. A severe loss of imagination also seems evident. And so easily led by vague fears. Almost a crippled generation who would have no idea on any level of a great American Presidents' phrase "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"

That's maybe why there are also no great Sc-Fi films made anymore. This is the dull, banal and self-obsessed 'Selfie Future'.

Well said from a fellow member of the old fogey club.

Deep thought post alert

I've been involved in training that touches on some of these aspects. Much of it dealt with how people of certain ages process or receive new information. Those of us born in the 60s/70s have dealt with information being provided to us in several fashions ( daily paper, tv, radio, books, phone, fax, computer, phone, library, magazines, smartphone, internet, etc ), and we are OK with all of it. That isn't the case with every generation.

I can remember many a late Sunday night me heading to the living room hoping the entry for Peru in the encyclopedia set we had was detailed enough for me to plagiarize for the paper I had due the next morning. In contrast, I've watched my daughter buy school reports off the internet before.

It's a magical world.

To answer OP my dad explained the 3 minute rule when he gave me the bird and the bees talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom