What's new

3 minute shave tip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found this thread, wow!!
I'll be checking it periodically, Lol!
I guess though that the OP is asking a legit
question(s) that he's curious about.
First thing I thought of though was the fact that my grandfather's had no 1800 number to call or the Internet. They just figured out what worked and what didn't!
I think most of us have!

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just found this thread, wow!!
I'll be checking it periodically, Lol!
I guess though that the OP is asking a legit
question(s) that he's curious about.
First thing I thought of though was the fact that my grandfather's had no 1800 number to call or the Internet. They just figured out what worked and what didn't!
I think most of us did!
Yes, I believe he is serious, and I wasn't right in "piling on" I suppose. I apologize @larryjohnson .

I think that much is lost in translation my friend. Keep asking questions. That is still a free activity here at Badger and Blade!

Yes, I believe he is serious, and I wasn't right in "piling on" I suppose. I apologize @larryjohnson .

I think that much is lost in translation my friend. Keep asking questions. That is still a free activity here at Badger and Blade!
Absolutely!

You are getting a bit of a ragging @larryjohnson but It's not meant badly. All these guys are good hearted. I think your question just threw everyone!

In England we call it "winding you up".

A question never hurt. Just stick to 60 words next time maybe?

Questions make B&B what it is.

See you around!

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Icalled gillette in the u.s. and asked them about late 1999/early 2000 about shaving tips online. They told me that in early 2000 consumers had to call by phone to 1800gillette in the u.s. since more than likely specific shaving tips werent posted online. But if someone called and asked about what shaving tips 1800gillette could give out, wouldnt up to a certain point we would be guessing or it might even be a matter of trial and error in order to have a specific knowledge? In 2005 on a different website i came across a very clever shaving tip posted online. It said leave lather online for at least 3 minutes while in the shower before shaving as to soften facial hair and condition skin. But in early 2000, how were consumers supposed to gain this specific knowledge by calling then? How was this supposed to cross their mind in such a way for 1800 gillette to give them this very clever shaving tip then? How should they have asked to be told this in this very specific manner? Not only gillette but also schick, bic, edge shave gel, merkur, muhle, ect... for early 2000 none of these guys had posted a very specific shave tip saying, "shave while in the shower, lather up and leave it on for at least 3 minutes prior to shaving." If consumers called by phone to any of these guys then how were they supposed to ask so they would get this answer/reply from any of these companies?

OK, I'll buck the trend and offer a serious answer...

I learned double edged shaving in the early 1990s, if that's close enough.

No internet, no telephone helpline, no friends or family to ask (they either didn't shave, or used cartridges or electric razors). I just put a blade in the razor and figured it out myself. That's how things were done. However, I never needed that tip, and even now, I don't find it relevant.

The only time I leave lather on my face for three minutes or more, is if I made it a bit too wet, and am waiting for the excess to be absorbed. Otherwise, at the three minute mark, I'm probably on my second pass, or rinsing everything off to put it away.

lasta

Blade Biter
Gillette has been emphasizing "several minutes" pre-shave since 1904.

proxy.php

Absolutely!

You are getting a bit of a ragging @larryjohnson but It's not meant badly. All these guys are good hearted. I think your question just threw everyone!

See you around!

Very well said, and quite diplomatic, as usual. 🙂👍🏻

My reply was intended to be serious, and an attempt to lighten things up without insulting the OP.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I usually shave 1. Under my nose 2. Chin 3. Cheeks, and then 4. Neck....

Or not. I am usually on autopilot.

Um.. what was the question?
There are two things that are intuitively obvious at this point:

1. FarmerTan should absolutely not be shaving under his nose first!!!!

2. If you have a question you should ask the experts here, not at Gillette. We've got the answers - more than anyone can possibly fathom or use in this case.

The responses to the OP’s cryptic question (?) are fantastic. I literally had to wipe tears from my eyes.

I think the answer to the question (if it’s an actual question, at this point I’m still not sure) is that leaving the soap on your face for a few minutes is great prep for your shave. It helps hydrate your whiskers.

This might not be necessary with pre-shave items or if you face lather and take time building the lather on your face.

The last folks I’d ask about shaving is the folks that now provide battery operated,vibrating, multi blade, dirt removing, cleansing razors with $48 refill cartridges but hey that’s just me.

Absolutely!

See you around!
Not the first time it's been asked. It's just this time, no one knew what the OP was asking or talking about. There are numerous threads on the topic (like most here).

Thread 'face prep: lather on face= How long?' face prep: lather on face= How long? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/face-prep-lather-on-face-how-long.207272/

2014:
Thread 'Shave right away or let lather sit on face?' Shave right away or let lather sit on face? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/shave-right-away-or-let-lather-sit-on-face.419816/

2015:
Thread 'Leaving lather on' Leaving lather on - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/leaving-lather-on.469449/

I think it actually had a B&b dubbed name at one point, like "Jeff's lather method" or something in a few threads.

I've tried it once and tore my face apart. The lather dried up. Maybe if if relathered after it sits, but I just lather up and shaved.

Last edited:
In 1999/2000 shaving was not something I thought about much less something I thought about enough to call for tips. I used a Mach 3 or whatever multi blade razor Gillette sent me for free, and canned shave foam or gel if it was available then. I had to shave daily for work and the Mach 3/foam/gel worked just fine for what I needed it to do. Anyone remember the razors the you'd randomly get in the mail from Gillette? Maybe I signed up for something, I don't remember, but I know I got an Atra and Mach 3 from them.
assuming you're US based, I think they had access to the Selective Service lists. I got one when I turned 18. maybe another later on, at a different address. that one is a head scratcher, because this was pre-internet days like you by the models.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
An important thing to remember about Gillette’s products and advice are they the best a man can get, but they never specified which man and there’s over 4 billion of us toddling on the planet’s surface like algae defying a pool skimmer.

What I’m saying is:

I don’t own a pool. And I want one, but am intimidated about how to keep it useable year after year and all the $$$ involved.

It’s difficult to say how a product or technique will work for a particular individual nor if the advice conveyed is the advice received.

Read this guide by @AimlessWanderer Every time I screw up, the answers are in that thread. Getting back to over 4 billion biological males, it could only tell you what I’ve done wrong and not what you can do right, but you won’t know until you read/try/apply.

Do you own a pool? They seem awesome.

I read an interesting article several years back about how generations are born without any knowledge of things past. Some examples that come to mind - the chatter of a typewriter, using a library card catalog, phone booths, black and white television sets, etc.

We can apply that same concept here. I am of an age with those who grew up before the internet. We figured stuff out in other ways, usually through libraries, friends, families, mentors, etc. Now, apply that in shaving. I watched my dad and older brothers shave and copied what they did. While they didn't apply shaving cream and leave it on their faces for three minutes, they shaved the way they thought best. Truthfully, shaving as a hobby never occurred to me until I went back to wet shaving in 2013. Before then, I just shaved. Others on this forum may have experimented and stumbled on practices that went beyond just slapping lather on the face and shaving, but folks like me just bought the same product everyone else did and shaved.

Let's not overthink the past. We humans figure a lot of stuff out by trial and error. The difference today is the explosion of methods to disseminate and discuss information instantaneously.

I had no idea of the Gillette resources @larryjohnson is referring to, nor would I have been able to unless I stumbled on it accidently.

All that said, I cannot think of a better source of good information for all things shaving than Badger & Blade, nor a finer group of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom