What's new

3 expeditions in 6 months time for a new watch

I was a big fan of the Timex expeditions. In fact I've had only one other type of watch in 18 years and I quickly went back to the expedition. I am not easy on my watches and they used to take a licking and keep ticking. Not anymore. I killed one about 6 months ago and that had lasted 2 years. I have been through 3 since then. Knocked one off the sink and broke the crystal, something that never phased the others. Broke the winder on one getting it snagged in a coat, and the third never kept the right time. the time/date winder never stayed pushed in. The store took that one back and I just got a refund. Now, after researching this forum I am thinking seiko 5 or vostock.

Give me your best used car salesman pitch for the one you like best. No store here has either to look at. I have thin wrists so I like a smaller face seiko is ahead on that front.

Buying a blender and a watch in the next couple days.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Do not under any circumstances put the watch in the blender. No matter what anyone says.

I have owned more than a few time pieces over the years. One of the best was my first watch, a Timex given to me around 1973.

Currently I have a mechanical pocket watch purchased new in 1982, a Sieko quartz dress watch I've had for more than a decade, and a Sieko 5 automatic. I like both Sieko watches for different reasons though it is getting harder to read the Seiko 5 dial with each passing year.

don't drive over the watch. Seiko 5 does have good bones as far as many folk on the web seem to think. Aside from buying a Seiko for my boot camp graduation and loving it for many years / I have no idea where/when I lost it now. I have no experience with them. Good hunting! a watch you're going to enjoy looking at for many times to come is a difficult find. ...unless you're deeply into watch AD and you need a new experience every time -- but then, there are things like the Huawei first gen smart watch which is a joy for watch face novelty! anyway, wayyyy off topic: good luck~!

Watches are such a personal item it is hard to comment on which you would like the best. Vostock is well liked by many people and it appears to be a solid watch. I once considered buying one but the styling was a little too causal for my tastes. Seiko 5 is another solid choice. Note that the seiko 5 movement is used in a wide range of styles and size choices. There are the SNK8xx field style watches, diver, dress, and the larger recraft series to chose from.

If I read between the lines of your post, the Expedition that kept poor time was because of a loose watch stem, rather than a slow or fast movement? The reason is important because you are considering replacing your accurate quartz watch with a relatively less accurate Seiko 5 or Vostock. If you value accuracy you may want to consider some other quartz model, whether that is a Seiko, Casio, Timex, etc.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Consider a Seiko skx007. Automatic. Excellent movement. Indestructible. Popular in Vietnam era. Known as the poor mans submariner. And that's a high compliment. Not sure if op is looking for a dress watch or not. But that's my2 cents.

I would probably go with the Seiko 5, though they are a bit small for my liking.

I know the Orient wasn't one of your choices but I've had the M-Force beast on for the past 3 weeks. On wrist it tends to lose about -5 sec a day. Off wrist at night and face up, it gains the majority of that back in an 8 hour period.

It got hacked against time.gov 3 weeks ago and this morning it was running +5 sec.

+5 in three weeks! I hope that sort of accuracy keeps up.

PS - Which ever you get, do please post up some pics. Thank you sir!

proxy.php

Maybe try a Casio G shock, this time

This is all my brother wears. He's the lead engineer somewhere doing classified government things. He's pretty smart, but we have never seen eye to eye on anything. He loves all the bells and whistles. I don't. I want something that I don't have to change the battery, has an hour, minute, and second hand. Date is good because I can never remember that.

This is all my brother wears. He's the lead engineer somewhere doing classified government things. He's pretty smart, but we have never seen eye to eye on anything. He loves all the bells and whistles. I don't. I want something that I don't have to change the battery, has an hour, minute, and second hand. Date is good because I can never remember that.

Maybe a Citizen Eco Drive?

I was considering the Flieger because of the of the placement of the winder. I like how it is at 4 o'clock instead of 3. It won't get in my way. I realize the Vostock winder is at 3 0'clock which is another strike against it. I considered the citizens. Nice watches.
Maybe a Citizen Eco Drive?

I've worn a basic Seiko, similar to the Core series, for many years as a work watch. Lots of bangs, drops, etc., it just keeps going.

upload_2017-7-30_12-11-38.jpeg
Have you ever seen a movie called "The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou"?
If not. stream it, download it or watch it on DVD - it's a very funny movie
If so, did you notice the watch that Bill Murray wore? Look closely during the scenes with the apple and the lizard !!
The watch is a Vostok Amphibia 420 - available online for $50 to $60 - usually with free shipping from Russia
It is based on the Soviet era Russian military watches, shock resistant and water resistant to 200m, and has an automatic movement that can also be hand wound, and fully wound has a power reserve of 30 hours +/-
Add an aftermarket 18mm Seiko style diver strap and you've got a very cool looking, durable watch - and you can say it's a movie watch too !!

proxy.php

proxy.php

upload_2017-7-30_12-12-38.jpeg

The question that should be asked is" how much are you willing to spend"? Then what style of watch fo you like? Then how wide is your wrist?

I have a Bell and Ross Hydromax that you couldnt kill if you tried but its not for everyone do to cost/size/avail/maintenance etc....

I would probably go with the Seiko 5, though they are a bit small for my liking.

I know the Orient wasn't one of your choices but I've had the M-Force beast on for the past 3 weeks. On wrist it tends to lose about -5 sec a day. Off wrist at night and face up, it gains the majority of that back in an 8 hour period.

It got hacked against time.gov 3 weeks ago and this morning it was running +5 sec.

+5 in three weeks! I hope that sort of accuracy keeps up.

PS - Which ever you get, do please post up some pics. Thank you sir!

proxy.php

Are you left handed? If not, what do you think of the crown on the opposite side of that M-Force? This is the first time I've seen this.

I'm in the market for a new watch as well....and love the idea of having a mechanical power reserve. But I'm not sure I want to pay out an extra $150 for it. May stick with the SKX007/9 with hopes of modding it myself in the future (my newest research AD)

For the OP - I'd go for a Seiko - but that's coming from A biased Seiko owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to buck the trend - I haven't worn a watch for years now. Still ogle them :D You will be amazed how quickly you body gets to know what the the time is & quite accurately. Not for everyone but works for me.

Top Bottom