What's new

3:10 To Yuma

What a tool. Oh look baby’s, lets go look. Isn’t that a violation of like the very first rule of hiking? I hope his girl rewarded him with a, “You’re an idiot.” and not a ”You’re my hero.”

I’m not a cat person in general but big cats scare me. I was at the dugout wells area of Big Bens NP about 10yrs back. I was was just kind of wandering the trails looking at this and that and started over a small bridge that spanned a shallow washout. I glanced to my right and there was a mountain lion no more than 15ft away from me. No idea if it was a male or female but it looked at me then turned and ran off. The thing that I’ll never forget was that it was absolutely silent as it ran, I mean no sound. If that cat had wanted me, I wouldn’t be here now. If I hadn’t been dehydrated from hiking around in the desert all day I probably would have had to change my shorts.
I reported the sighting to the Park Rangers and they said the cat had been seen 2-3 times in the past couple of months around there and hadn’t caused any issues.
When I told the Ranger about my bobcat sighting at Mesa Verde, she looked concerned and made notes about where and when I saw it.

Honestly, he did the absolutely right thing (other than filming this retreat). You have to back up, facing that cat, all the while sounding bigger and badder than she is. That momma will not back down, so you just have to retreat and not give her a reason to attack. Man, this is why I will not go into the woods without protection. Thankfully we dont have big cats in Ga (thankful they are few and far between) but we do have the uncommon black bear!

Pretty much this. Momma Cat was clearly more interested in moving him off from her brood than in killing him. If she was going to attack, she'd have done it on the first or second charge. Worse (for him) would have been if she'd have sought the cover of the scrub to stalk him.

And yeah, that phone is going away as soon as the Momma shows up.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Guy is still an idiot; truly an idiot.

Part of me struggles believing this was not a set up. He was so calm, he filmed it all instead of using both arms waving them over his head and screaming and jumping. She did not want to eat him, but he also did not make her scared enough of him to flee. Reminds me of some of the super calm Bigfoot videos. If you see Bigfoot are you going to be calm filming him, hell no.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Part of me struggles believing this was not a set up. He was so calm, he filmed it all instead of using both arms waving them over his head and screaming and jumping. She did not want to eat him, but he also did not make her scared enough of him to flee. Reminds me of some of the super calm Bigfoot videos. If you see Bigfoot are you going to be calm filming him, hell no.

Soooooo you think a couple of wild animal trainers just let loose a trained cougar and her kittens on a public trail? Then started filming and hoping the cougars training kicked in to protect her babies all the while not ripping his head off?

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Soooooo you think a couple of wild animal trainers just let loose a trained cougar and her kittens on a public trail? Then started filming and hoping the cougars training kicked in to protect her babies all the while not ripping his head off?

Yes

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Run, and you get that thing on your back and biting your neck. It's called a rout and you both lose and die.

310 rocks would have been thrown, if it was me. Give ground slowly and immediately, but if you are truly in danger, show you can fight. He retreated over a carpet of fine, heavy, sharp-edged projectiles.

AA
My lovely wife showed me this yesterday and kept yelling, "Pick up a rock, dummy!"

I too am amazed that this thing didn't kill him. If it weren't for her babies he'd have been the main course.

My lovely wife showed me this yesterday and kept yelling, "Pick up a rock, dummy!"

I too am amazed that this thing didn't kill him. If it weren't for her babies he'd have been the main course.

Strictly speaking, I am stunned she wandered so far from them in the first place. Video runs for a good 5 minutes after she appears. Even walking backwards, that has to be a quarter mile, easy. Long way off to be leaving the cubs.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
When she goes hunting she leaves them behind and roams a lot further than that. Basically whatever her home range is.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
The cat is never really in hunting or even attack mode. Even the display is controlled and limited. Throughout the whole event from beginning to end the cat is in total control; simply herding the human with impunity. Had she really considered the human as either food or a true threat she would have been off the trail in an instant and only feet away from him in the underbrush.

She's bring the kids to the treat later.

Top Bottom