What's new

3:10 To Yuma

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Make that, 3:10 into the video: “Gosh, where’s my gun”?! If I were him, I would have chunked the iPhone & then, some fair-sized rocks ... but then, I’m no millennial 😬

I’ve had a couple encounters with cats, but neither as harrowing as this.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
He was interviewed on the news tonight. He said at first he thought they were baby Bobcats and he rarely sees them so he wanted to get a video. I don’t care what his excuse is, I still think he’s stupid. “Ohh look, cute little wild Bobcats. Let me get a video and walk up on them”. You deserved what you got dude. Even Bobcats are not worth walking up on. No wild animal is.

First thing he should have done was put the camera away. Shouted, screamed, made himself look big. Hard to do while holding a damn camera trying to be famous for getting wild ”bobcats” on film. He got what he ultimately wanted....15 minutes of fame.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Where is my gun? He is asking US where his gun is?

The most significant and educational part for me is watching just how fast that cat can run when she wants to. Just look at how long it took her to leave him and pass the bend in the road. Even now I get the feeling that idiot does not realize that she could have moved that fast forward as well.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Run, and you get that thing on your back and biting your neck. It's called a rout and you both lose and die.

310 rocks would have been thrown, if it was me. Give ground slowly and immediately, but if you are truly in danger, show you can fight. He retreated over a carpet of fine, heavy, sharp-edged projectiles.

AA

Honestly, he did the absolutely right thing (other than filming this retreat). You have to back up, facing that cat, all the while sounding bigger and badder than she is. That momma will not back down, so you just have to retreat and not give her a reason to attack. Man, this is why I will not go into the woods without protection. Thankfully we dont have big cats in Ga (thankful they are few and far between) but we do have the uncommon black bear!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
He did hit her with a rock, that was when she turned and ran according to the article. He waited for the right time to grab the rock as he didn’t want to crouch down and appear small.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yes he did the right thing. Turning his back would have resulted in a cougar backpack. He said when he tried to bend down for rocks she would lunge forward. He managed to get one rock and throw it and it sent her on her way. Without the camera in his hands and if he would have continued to back up while shouting and flailing his arms I bet it wouldn’t have been a 6 minute encounter. Bet she would have ran away a lot sooner.

I would have thrown rocks at the cat....there were many of those.... Lucky he wasn't suffocated by the cats jaws....
Always bring a knife to the fight and fight to the end (if unable to avoid).
Dude got lucky this time and I bet it will not be his last time, as I think he will continue playing with fire till he gets burnt....

I always said jogging isn’t good for you.

I came across a bobcat in Mesa Verde 10 years ago when I was riding into the park on my Goldwing. Had I been riding a Harley I would not have seen her. As soon as she saw me , she ran off the road and into the brush. At the closest point I was 50 yards from her and that was closer than I cared to be. On another motorcycle trip in Custer NP, I rounded the corner and was about 100 yards from a herd of bison. That was even scarier. They didn’t move, the just glared at me. I stopped in the road for about five minutes to see if they would clear and they did not. So, I turned around and found another way around. While I was watching, a Harley rider came up from the other direction and proceeded to ride through the herd. A couple of juveniles charged at him but pulled up short. I doubt the guy ever realized how much danger he was in.

Plain and simple, the great outdoors is the domain of wild animals and wild animals are not cute, they are dangerous.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Yes he did the right thing. Turning his back would have resulted in a cougar backpack. He said when he tried to bend down for rocks she would lunge forward. He managed to get one rock and throw it and it sent her on her way. Without the camera in his hands and if he would have continued to back up while shouting and flailing his arms I bet it wouldn’t have been a 6 minute encounter. Bet she would have ran away a lot sooner.

I was thinking the same thing. Jumping up and down and waving both arms would or should have scared her off. Her cubs were no longer in danger and she knows that. I seriously think she was debating if this was lunch or not as she was not recognizing human behavior.

Or it was a trained cat and the whole thing is a hoax.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I was thinking the same thing. Jumping up and down and waving both arms would or should have scared her off. Her cubs were no longer in danger and she knows that. I seriously think she was debating if this was lunch or not as she was not recognizing human behavior.

Or it was a trained cat and the whole thing is a hoax.

Up until he threw the rock she wasn’t scared at all. She was cautious because she was still unsure if this thing could hurt her. “Can this thing harm me? No? Good I’m gonna eat it.”. He didn’t exhibit any signs of a prey animal, like turning and running, which would trigger her “get some lunch” response. So she was just chasing him off trying to figure him out. And when she charged it was a reaction to whatever he was doing at the time. She saw it as a challenge to fight and she was saying “You wanna go!!? Let’s go!!”.

He said every time he would bend to get a rock she would charge which makes sense. He’s taking up a fight posture while facing her. Finally when he was able to hit her with a rock she realized oh snap! This thing is bigger than me AND it can hurt me, I’m outta here.

If he had a firearm he wouldn’t have even needed to shoot her. Just shoot in her direction and she’s gone.
Or just anything on his body he could have thrown at her.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
If he had a firearm he wouldn’t have even needed to shoot her. Just shoot in her direction and she’s gone.
Or just anything on his body he could have thrown at her.

Yep a shot in the dirt would do the trick.

@BigFoot I could not help but notice your tag line under your avatar. It makes me chuckle every time I see it because Muskogee is probably the Marijuana capitol. They grow it and smoke it. Merle Haggard probably knew that too.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
@BigFoot I could not help but notice your tag line under your avatar. It makes me chuckle every time I see it because Muskogee is probably the Marijuana capitol. They grow it and smoke it. Merle Haggard probably knew that too.

Exactly, but it is such a good ole country song.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’m not a cat person in general but big cats scare me. I was at the dugout wells area of Big Bens NP about 10yrs back. I was was just kind of wandering the trails looking at this and that and started over a small bridge that spanned a shallow washout. I glanced to my right and there was a mountain lion no more than 15ft away from me. No idea if it was a male or female but it looked at me then turned and ran off. The thing that I’ll never forget was that it was absolutely silent as it ran, I mean no sound. If that cat had wanted me, I wouldn’t be here now. If I hadn’t been dehydrated from hiking around in the desert all day I probably would have had to change my shorts.
I reported the sighting to the Park Rangers and they said the cat had been seen 2-3 times in the past couple of months around there and hadn’t caused any issues.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I’m not a cat person in general but big cats scare me. I was at the dugout wells area of Big Bens NP about 10yrs back. I was was just kind of wandering the trails looking at this and that and started over a small bridge that spanned a shallow washout. I glanced to my right and there was a mountain lion no more than 15ft away from me. No idea if it was a male or female but it looked at me then turned and ran off. The thing that I’ll never forget was that it was absolutely silent as it ran, I mean no sound. If that cat had wanted me, I wouldn’t be here now. If I hadn’t been dehydrated from hiking around in the desert all day I probably would have had to change my shorts.
I reported the sighting to the Park Rangers and they said the cat had been seen 2-3 times in the past couple of months around there and hadn’t caused any issues.

That area has the biggest Mountain Lion population in Texas. 100 plus per TP&W.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Top Bottom