What's new

2nd Time at the Range

A few weeks ago I went to the gun range for the first time (that was the first time I even held a gun let alone fired it.) It was a lot of fun. Last Thursday evening I went to a newly opened range very near my house, it was a lot of fun (just like the first time)

I still have loads to learn and I have some NRA safety classes to take next month, but I've been having a good time. I shot a Sig P229 and a Walther PK380. Both were very fun to shoot. I'm anxious for this range to get some more rental guns in to try out. Previously I've shot a Glock 26, Glock 17, Kimber 1911 (not sure specific model), Glock 23 (didn't like it), Glock 21SF, and a S&W SD9VE. I shot the Glock 26 first and it was the first gun I've ever shot so I remember it having very strong recoil, but now I'm questioning if it really did or it was just my initial experience having nothing to compare it to.

Does anyone have any general advice about concealed carry? What you carry, how you carry it, why? etc? I have a long way to go before I would ever consider carrying (experience, practice, education, etc), but I would like to begin gathering as much information as I can.

Thanks all!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Congrats on the range visits! I thoroughly enjoyed my first time at the range this past summer. I got to shoot several semi-auto rifles and handguns and one 12 gauge. After that first trip I was hooked.

Sorry I don't have experience with concealed carry but It's great that you are thinking about education, experience and practice first. :thumbup1:

Good for you for pursuing safety classes! No better way to start your shooting sports hobby.

Good for you for trying a number of different options too! There's a ton of options out there and before you spend your money, it's nice to sample as much as possible.

Nothing will elicit a million different opinions as a CCW discussion. The topic will touch on caliber selection, gun selection, semi or revolver, belts, holsters, hollow points or full metal jacket bullets, pocket carry, inside waistband or outside waistband carry.

CCW is a very personal decision on all levels and what's right for one person isn't right for another.

My suggestion is that you start by find a gun that you can shoot well and proves to be reliable. Buy quality ammo that functions well in your gun. Practice, practice, practice, practice then practice some more.

Caliber selection is a very important consideration. Many consider .380 to be the smallest acceptable defense caliber. That being said, .22lr can kill too. In general, the smaller the gun, the easier to conceal. However smaller guns in more powerful calibers may be somewhat difficult to control for some too.

Buy a quality belt and holster (don't go cheap here, good belts and holsters can make all the difference in the world in comfort and concealability).

My set up is typically an LCP (.380) loaded with 100gr flatpoint's. Sometimes I carry an LC9 with 124gr hollow points. On the trail, I carry a .357 revolver with 157gr hollow points.

All of these are carried in a quality holster that covers the trigger.

Good luck on your journey.

No conceal carry experience here as I live in Canada, but I'm an sport shooter. The glock26 can seem to have more recoil vs 17 or 19 but it's because the grip is shooter and it seem more snappy.

If if it was legal here to conceal carry, I would carry a glock26. I'm at ease with 9mm and 10+1 is enough to stop the threat. It's about shoot placement.take a look at the glock42, the new .380auto pistol, they are very slim and seem easy to carry .

Seek training. First the NRA class, then a dedicated handgun training class. I'd recommend a 2 day training class.

Remember, concealed carry means you must be more polite and never escalate.

To carry comfortably, one must have a good holster and concealed carry specific belt. Remember, concealed means concealed. Don't want to be that guy the cops are mistakenly called on? Conceal that weapon properly.

I would recommend a good 9mm pistol such as the Glock 17 or 19, Walther PPQ, or S&W M&P. Above all, I would recommend training on top of what the NRA offers.

I usually carry 9mm, either a Glock 19 or a Kahr CM9. I've noticed with +P ammo that the Kahr can be a little snappy, but it's a pocket pistol with a short grip, and it really conceals well. No trouble with regular 9mm, though. The Glock handles everything well, and with the right holster and belt, it conceals pretty well, too.

Lots of good advice here, especially re: training, practice and not going cheap on belt and holster. I believe in always keeping the gun in a holster for safety and consistency purposes. You will end up with a variety of holsters and perhaps a variety of guns to cover different situations. My ccw set-up depends on clothing which, in turn, depends on the weather. I like to carry the largest caliber that I can and that is consistent with good concealment. Generally, for maximum concealability and comfort, I try to carry the smallest, lightest, high quality gun that is available in any given caliber. So, in the winter, I usually carry a Springfield XDs (currently back at Springfield for a voluntary safety recall). In medium weather, I usually carry a Kahr CM9 (9mm). My "summer gun," and the gun I carry when minimum size and weight become the primary consideration, is a Kel-tec P3AT .380, the gun that started the trend to small, lightweight polymer .380 pocket pistols.

All are carried in a holster, usually on my belt. However, I do have pocket holsters that I use when I am wearing a coat. I started out carrying in a pocket holster in my pants pocket, but I soon realized that I spend a lot of time sitting and it is next to impossible to draw a gun from a pants pocket quickly and safely while seated.

I generally carry highly rated, hollow point defense rounds, such as Hornady Critical Defense and Speer Gold Dots, usually in +P when available. Small, light guns are not fun to shoot, especially when loaded with "hot" ammo. However, I am not carrying for sport or target shooting, and my range time is for skill maintenance, not fun (although I do get a lot of pleasure out of it until my hands start to hurt).

Finally, no matter how and what you carry, practice my son, practice. You need to be able to draw and fire your weapon safely, quickly and consistently, and there is no way to acquire those skills other than practice.

I hope this helps. Keep the questions coming. And when you get your permit, be sure to familiarize yourself with laws covering cc. You'll be surprised to discover places that are illegal to carry and that vary from state to state. And you might find that there is a zero tolerance approach to carrying concealed with any blood alcohol content. Carrying is a serious responsibility and needs to be taken very seriously. Sorry for the lecture. :001_rolle

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
+1 to the above. Above all, get additional training. NRA safety and CCW class are just the beginning, not the end point. You need additional training in mindset, tactics, gun manipulation, malfunction drills, legal issues, force on force, low light, vehicle defense, etc., etc.

From what I've been told, there has never been a CCW permit issued in the county where I live.
A recent court decision may change that, but I'm not holding my breath. The criminals, paroled felons, six year old wannabe ganstas, and anyone but us law-abiding citizens, all seem to carry with little or no punishment when caught. Gotta love Oakland.

Last edited:
A bit late to the discussion, but I'll toss in my 2 cents.
I've been carrying for two years (WA CPL). Everyone has their favorite carry set up, and opinions on what everyone else should carry, and I suppose I'm no different. One thing I've learned, as I've lived in different cities in very different parts of the country, is that your carry should be taylored to the environment and the threats you are most concerned about/most likely to face.
For example, when I lived in Seattle I was riding my bicycle throughout the city often, and my major threat was a tweeked out homeless guy on an early morning downtown street. I carried a S&W 638 .38spl snubnose revolver. Very easy to carry, and five shots of very adequate man stopper. I wasn't concerned with multiple threats. 5 shots seemed like plenty, and I often scoffed at those folks who carried two guns, 3 mags for each, etc.
Then I moved to southern VA. Very different place, with very different socioeconomic issues. After a couple of personal experiances, and after seeing a couple months worth of police reports, I decided that the threat here was very different. If I ran into trouble it would much more likely be a group of ill-intended persons, possibly armed themselves. My handy-dandy 5 shot snubbie was no longer very comforting when venturing out of my neighborhood. So I started EDCing my Glock 22. I personally feel more comfortable with a hammer fired DA/SA, so when I get back I'll be looking into a 9mm of that nature, but the point is I wanted something with more capacity, and was willing to sacrifice ease of carry.
In summary, you have to evaluate what size of a gun you are going to be comfortable with, how well you shoot various size guns - I have a hard time with subcompact semiautos, but am very proficient with full size - and what your anticipated threat is. It really is a personal choice, and one that will likely change as your body, location, habits, and comfort evolve. Learn to operate safely, don't read too many internet forums, and take everything you read with a grain of salt.
Best of luck.

P.S. If you don't mind me asking, what prompted you to start shoting handguns? I'm always interested in why/how people come into the hobby/lifestyle.

Good advise already. Concealed carry discussion, like someone already said, could cover pages and pages. I've carried for a long time in a few different states. Lucky enough to live in a part of CA that will issue permits. Only advise I have is whatever you pick for your carry pistol stick to just that pistol, and practice practice practice.

From what I've been told, there has never been a CCW permit issued in the county where I live.
A recent court decision may change that, but I'm not holding my breathe. The criminals, paroled felons, six year old wannabe ganstas, and anyone but us law-abiding citizens, all seem to carry with little or no punishment when caught. Gotta love Oakland.
You might want to contact the NRA to see if they have any advice or can provide any assistance in getting a permit there, especially since the recent decision (in Maryland, IIRC).

Glad you enjoy the shooting sports! Concealed carry is not comfortable, its comforting. It really depends on body type and how you plan to carry. I find a full size 1911 easier to carry then a compact 9mm. Its all about what safely works for you.

Late to the dance here, but a lot of good advice. You might want to give the Glock another try just to be fair. Personally I do not care for the Glock, preferring a 1911 type or a Browning Hi Power, but that's just me. I have Colt, Kimber and a couple of Para Ordanace for the 1911 types as well as the BHP. My other preferred type is a S&W K frame, caliber does not matter there, anything from 22 LR to 357 Mag. I have matching 22 and 38 spc models in the K-22 and K-38 target models.

Top Bottom