What's new

2nd round Soap Pass-Around

Jon, it's not a problem at all. Please don't worry about the timing once you get the box. I'm sure we can work something out that'll take your schedule into consideration. Once you get it just send me a PM and we'll make sure you have all the time you need. Also please know that Kim is welcome to try anything and everything in the box. Enjoy.
I never thought that the 5 day rule was a real hard rule with no exceptions. Take the time you need to enjoy the box. I heard that Dr. Jon soaps are pretty good. You should try them.

Enjoy the box,
InNae

I never thought that the 5 day rule was a real hard rule with no exceptions. Take the time you need to enjoy the box. I heard that Dr. Jon soaps are pretty good. You should try them.

Enjoy the box,
InNae

That one made me laugh or loud - thanks!

Box sent! I sent the tracking to the next person and the box mods.

Ill post pics of my approved takes and final final impressions soon. Sorry for the delay, life got crazy plus I had a business trip in between.

Box is in my possession and I went through to check everything out this morning. There are 2 brands I haven't tried in the full size stuff which is great, there are also 3 sample sizes I have never tried so I'm really excited to get be able to get 5 shaves that are totally new to me. I'll be posting thoughts later today, tomorrow and then right before I pack up the box.

Ok, since we have 2 shavers in the house I figured we use two bowls so we could switch soaps in between passes, this way I can maximize my time with the box.

For my first pass I used sample#124, it's not the first time I had used it but I figured I would revisit while it was here. I love the scent on this soap, I could use soap scented exactly like this every day and be happy. The lather springs right up in seconds but is slightly more airy than is my personal preference. Outstanding slickness but for my skin the post shave is lacking, soaps with high percentages of coconut tend to leave me very dry. All things considered a very good soap but I never bought it do to my crappy skin.

For my second pass I used #735, I had never tried this brand so I was pretty pumped for it. The fragrance is very unique, I have never seen this combination used with any other brand and I really enjoyed the combination of earthy and bright citrus. The lather takes a normal amount of work and I only had to add water once, not a thirsty soap by any means. The slickness of the lather was good but not great, I got a clean shave with minimal tugging and one small nick on my usual location. The post shave on this soap was outstanding, I'm not sure if it's the addition of argan oil but this stuff really agrees with my face. I could see this staying at my house for sure.

Since I started with a classic I figured I would finish with one, I polished off today's shave with a little Alt Innsbruck followed by a couple of sprays of Bulgari Black.

I'll post Kim's thoughts shortly.

1. dfoulk - completed
2. Bj Rose - completed
3. Calhoun1 - completed
4. Bingo82d - completed
5. Corsair66 - completed
6. mrlandpirate - completed
7. shubes - completed
8. bobmsp - completed
9. tclobaugh - helping to moderate - completed
10. InNae - completed
11. mbkintner - completed
12. horvy - completed
13. sheashaves710 - completed
14. tarrant - completed
15. Joneplin - in possession
16. AndroiDad75
17. then back to dfoulk to prep for the next round

Jon, feel free to keep the box as long as you'd like to. I know it's month end for you so no rush is needed on your part.

It there's any of 131 or 132 left that would be a very good one to try if you haven't done so already.

Jon, feel free to keep the box as long as you'd like to. I know it's month end for you so no rush is needed on your part.

It there's any of 131 or 132 left that would be a very good one to try if you haven't done so already.

It's one of the three sample brands I hadn't tried before, on my list and really looking forward to it. As tomorrow is our wedding anniversary I'll probably use it tomorrow with my new straight from The Scottish Razor
Co. Should make for a really nice anniversary shave.

It's one of the three sample brands I hadn't tried before, on my list and really looking forward to it. As tomorrow is our wedding anniversary I'll probably use it tomorrow with my new straight from The Scottish Razor
Co. Should make for a really nice anniversary shave.

That's going to be an excellent shave. Happy anniversary!

Sorry for the delay, life has been crazy.

I got to try out the sample of #132 and I am just going to say that this stuff is all the way around amazing. I love the fragrance, slightly spicy while still maintaining a great citrus/floral balance. The lather was slick and creamy and offered a fantastic post shave. I will be picking this up next week for sure.

I also shaved with #126 and really enjoyed the shave. Lathers very easily, has very good slickness and a good post shave. The scent was very reminiscent of Cella which I have no qualms with. The post shave actually surprised me as immediately after my shave I felt slightly tight, 10 minutes later my skin felt really good. I could easily use this in my rotation if it was available.

This morning I used #762. The scent is just a tad bit sweet for me as a "barbershop" scent, it's not unpleasant but probably not something I would use often. I tried bowl lathering at first but just couldn't get any volume at all, it was just a creamy coating on my bowl, after I moved the brush to my face I was able to get the same creamy coating applied to my skin which allowed me to have a very pleasant shave. I think the combination of slickness and protection is outstanding, I was actually kind of speeding up my strokes to see what would happen and got perfect shave even on the scar on my neck. I easily use this brand again if not this fragrance.

Since I won't have time to use everything I'll just toss out some quick thoughts.

#764 - This is my soap making "man crush", I love that he pushes the boundaries of what fragrances should be in a shaving soap. Now that I have the nice part out of the way, I hate this fragrance. I bought it a while back, tried it three times and passed it on to find a loving home. It just smells dirty and musty to me.

#765 - Still on the soap making man crush. This one I love. It just has an amazing smell of liquor and some time of candy to me.

#764 - Man Crush. This is a very good bay rum if not one of my favorites, I could use this with no problem even though I don't currently own it.

#755 - I currently have this soap and the splash, just a nice crisp lime scent.

#748 - I have a couple of soaps from these very nice folks but this isn't one. This fragrance just kind of reminds me of medicine which would prevent me from using it, just not my gig.

#754 - I have a lot of this brand but not this one. I really enjoy the fragrance, it's a very nice blend of citrus and spice. I'm not sure if it's currently in production but the next time I raid his house I'm looking for this one.

I'll post some more thoughts in a couple of days before I pack this best back up.

I messages the next person on the list to get an address for shipping but have yet to hear back. I never received any kind of a list so I don't know exactly what numbers to put on my adds. As soon as I have these two things I will be posting my takes and adds, the box will hopefully leave Monday. I'm hoping to have time to post additional thoughts today but as my in laws dropped in for a multi day visit I'm not so sure.

I messages the next person on the list to get an address for shipping but have yet to hear back. I never received any kind of a list so I don't know exactly what numbers to put on my adds. As soon as I have these two things I will be posting my takes and adds, the box will hopefully leave Monday. I'm hoping to have time to post additional thoughts today but as my in laws dropped in for a multi day visit I'm not so sure.

PM David and myself about your adds and takes for approval and we can help you pick numbers.

How long ago did you PM the next person in line?

David/Christian,

It has been a long time, but I was wondering if I could jump back in on the next round? I was part of the first 2 pass rounds, and David and I actually had quite a few off line convos about soaps as well. Let me know,

David/Christian,

It has been a long time, but I was wondering if I could jump back in on the next round? I was part of the first 2 pass rounds, and David and I actually had quite a few off line convos about soaps as well. Let me know,

Sure, you're welcome to join in. Here's where we're at right now.

1. dfoulk - completed
2. Bj Rose - completed
3. Calhoun1 - completed
4. Bingo82d - completed
5. Corsair66 - completed
6. mrlandpirate - completed
7. shubes - completed
8. bobmsp - completed
9. tclobaugh - helping to moderate - completed
10. InNae - completed
11. mbkintner - completed
12. horvy - completed
13. sheashaves710 - completed
14. tarrant - completed
15. Joneplin - in possession, about to send
16. AndroiDad75
17. then back to dfoulk to prep for the next round

I'll give you the option of going after AndroiDad75 this round, or to pick your spot for the next round once we open it up.

Just let me know.

David,

Thanks so much, I think I will pick an early spot in the next round, since I see you make sure the box is cleared up properly and ready to head out at the beginning of each round. I look forward to being involved again.

Top Bottom