What's new

2nd round Soap Pass-Around

Gents, My time with the 2nd round box has come to an end. I did not test many soaps because I was extremely busy over the weekend with work. I tried to two sample only soaps. #24 was a great performer and wow a little goes a long way. I was not too big on the scent though. Too bad this one is no longer made because it would find a place in my cabinet. #124 was a little disappointing though. I found the soap to be an average at best performer and it took quite a while to get a good lather out of it even using a quality badger brush. The shave again, was OK and there were no qualities of the soap that made it any better than my two go-to soaps TOBS and HTGAM. And, for the price of a jar of this soap I could buy a decades worth (or more) or the aforementioned soaps, and have an array of scents to never bore me.

I also gave #179 a shot and the scent was great but again an average performer at best. Again, a pretty high price point for an OK soap.

Finally, my takes. All three were from makers I had not tried before and I was almost sure they would be added to the collection as soon as I did the smell test. #379 Maggards Orange Menthol. I have a Maggard razor but never tried the soap. I found the soap to smell great and it was an above average performer in slickness and after shave smoothness. Took a little to get the right consistency but not bad. This will be a weekend soap for me, one that I use when I have a few extra moments. #253 Strop Shoppe Peppermint (regular, non-tallow version). A great wintery soap with a strong peppermint smell. Reminds me of candy canes and hot chocolate around Christmas time. I did not lather this soap, I made the choice solely on smell alone. I will give it a go next week sometime. Finally, what was thought to become a birthday soap, #310 Dapper Dragon Soaps (Cinnamon Bun). My wife got the box delivered at her office and she opened it before she left work! I recently got her to start using a DE and she has a nice collection of HTGAM soaps but fell in love with this scent immediately. She shaved with it yesterday and said it did a good job, but not as good at the HTGAM that she has been using. Considering she has let me take this hobby to the MAX, I gave in and she is keeping this one. It will go good with some HTGAM Autumn Factor A/S and maybe will go well with some Lucky Tiger because I think the Cinnamon and Orange will pair well together.

I also snagged a Beer Soap sample and a Spring Street from LASS as well.

I will post a pic of the takes this evening.

I addition to my normal soap adds, I threw in a ton of samples from Douglas at HTGAM, so enjoy!

I have had much fun with the box and wish I had a few more days to test lather, but time got the best of me this week.

**Sidenote - The box is completely full, we may want to look at taking out a few of the birthday soaps that have been in there for a long time. A few are getting pretty ragged looking and obviously no one is really interested in them. They are taking up some precious box space at this time.

sounds good, jadb!

another way for us to make room in the box is to encourage folks to add fewer soaps of greater cost/value (e.g.: one $30 soap or two $15 soaps instead of three $10 soaps).

That too is a good idea Brian. I find that my faves are not the expensive ones though and that is what we are supposed to add. I have some really pricey soaps and always find myself reaching for the mid-prices ones I have. Having a severe hoarding issue (about 40 soaps and creams) I would say 90% of the time I grab a 20 dollar or less soap to shave with. I find the expensive soaps nice but performance wise I always go back to TOBS and HTGAM and queen charolette, etc. it has become ever apparent to me that many of the pricey soaps are pricey because of their name and history but over time they have gone down hill quality whereas the artisan makers of late have done an extraordinary job with the chemistry of what makes a superior soap and their range of scents is well beyond that of the high end makers in my opinion.

sounds good, jadb!

another way for us to make room in the box is to encourage folks to add fewer soaps of greater cost/value (e.g.: one $30 soap or two $15 soaps instead of three $10 soaps).

Brian, your idea does make sense but I'd rather see some soaps removed that nobody's interested in than to add more mediocre mid to high priced soaps just because they cost more. For me, I find much better soaps in the $10 to $15 range that are excellent than I do in the $40 range so I hate to base anything on cost alone and wouldn't want to keep anyone from adding something really nice solely based on price. For example, in my opinion an $8 tub of RazoRock P.160 or a $10 tub of RazoRock Mudder Focker is better than 95% of what's in the box.

If you look at what's being taken out it's pretty much the ones that have just been added recently so I think that people are doing this the right way now. Please do review the soaps and give your honest opinions of the products, some clues help as well. If you have anything negative to say please direct it at the product and avoid anything directed at whoever might have added it. We're all not going to like everything that's in the box but as long as we do it respectfully then we can all benefit from each other's experiences. This will keep this thread interesting and ensure that more great soaps are added. If they know there soaps are going to get some honest reviews then they are less likely to add in something that they don't like. I also like for everyone to give their opinions of the soaps they added and why they chose them. It helps me guess what the soaps are and gives me some insight as to why they were added which makes this fun for me.

Back to the problem at hand though...
Unfortunately there are still soaps from earlier in the passaround when people were adding what I would consider to be the less desirable soaps (aka dumping stuff they didn't want). There are some obscure ones but a lot of the soaps in the box are the just the less desirable scent offerings from some well known manufacturers.

So here's my proposal, my vote would be for whoever has the box to work with Jason to find the oldest soaps in the box and write PIF FREE on them so that they don't count as someone's take. I'm sure Jason knows what's been in there for a while. Then others can take one PIF soap (or maybe two if they don't currently own a lot of soaps) in addition to their takes. This way they still move from the box to someone who hopefully likes them and will use them. Plus users would still get to see their soaps taken. I would use date added as the sole criteria for removal as I can think of some soaps that weren't dumps but have likely been in there a while for various reasons so we wouldn't want to call them out as dumps. Many of these soaps aren't going to be taken as someone's top choice and shouldn't be traveling the globe anymore.

I have no idea what was added to the box when, but maybe there can be exceptions made with some older soaps that Jason might think others would enjoy left in the box to try or possibly take eventually. There are a couple in there, like the soda soap for example, that I don't believe was a dump at all, but I'm not sure anyone would choose as their top choice right away. From the reviews, some have considered taking it already but it's a very large jar that is somewhat expensive and the scent is very different which make it more of a novelty type thing. It's not something that I would use every day, however it was different and very enjoyable to try. It's one that seems to bring back some really good memories for everyone so I'd consider it a nice addition and worthy of the postage so that more people can try it even if it were in the box a long time. Maybe something like this might be worthy of leaving in even after it's date has passed.

I would encourage you to please add a date to the soaps you add as well. This would make it easier to determine what should and shouldn't be in the box going forward. Doing it this was will ensure that the box is filled with desirable soaps going forward.

Please share your thoughts.

Last edited:
Dfoulk, I totally agree. I actually thought about the soda soap, but as you mentioned the price point on that one killed it for me. Not worth my only selection! I think you present a viable way of weeding out a few of these soaps to make room for newer ones.

Gents,

Just want to chime in here to address this, add some of my perspective and a possible vector. When the box started it had 12 soaps in it and could fit in a medium flat rate box. It has since swelled to around 30 soaps, plus samples and is now busting the seams of a large flat rate box. This is great as it adds variety, shows the generosity of our members who in most cases are clearly adding more than they are taking, but it also comes at a larger cost for shipping, and it appears we are now at a break point.

To realign some things; the initial intent of this box was to allow people to try a large variety of soaps, so they can identify without having to purchase, soaps that don't work for them. It also allows people to find some new favorites, as well as some soaps that might not be taken during the pass, but are noteworthy for future purchases. The ability to take and add soaps keeps the contents continuously fresh and changing.

There are no doubt going to be some brands/scents that are not liked. That being said, if that particular disliked soap wasn't in the box, you would never have first hand knowledge of that, and might make the mistake of someday purchasing that soap. There is value to finding soaps you do not like. At the same time, my goal was to have a box that had more likes than dislikes in it. I was hoping to acheive this by having people add soaps they truly have first hand knowledge with and enjoy. I think about 75-80% of the additions meet this criteria.

I believe one of the unintended consequences of having a large variety of soaps in the same box is with soaps that are pretty good in their own right, but not great when compared side by side with other soaps in the box. I think some of the RazoRock additions fall into this area. Most all of these are pretty good performers, but I believe many get overlooked when someone finds something else they enjoy more. As time goes by, these solid but not taken soaps get sampled more and more, and eventually the contents dwindle down to a level that people aren't going to want to have that soap as part of their take.

I knew this would happen at the start, but I didn't think the box would get too stuffed to create an issue. My thoughts were to let all soaps get through 2 passes. This ensures nearly everyone gets a chance to experience the soap. If a soap goes two passes without being chosen I was going to do a little PIF where people vie for a paricular soap. Again, I think most of these soaps aren't "Birthday Soaps" just soaps that lose out when you have other options next to them in the same box.

In the meantime, if you're seeing things in the box that are looking pretty ragged, let me know/see what it is, and let me know if you want it. If it is in the state you claim it is in, I don't think it will be an issue if you take it without having it count against your $30.00 choice(s). Also, if you are still waiting to get the box, know that it is pretty full and try and plan you additions and takes accordingly.

Does anyone have any objections to this way forward?

I just want to say I'm happy the problem is with the box beeing too full and not with it being too empty/gone. It says a lot about the generosity and restraint the members here consitently show.

Last edited:
Jason,

By full they are meaning that the box now contains only soaps with no packing material present and it is completely full to the top without being able to add anything else to it. When I had it I removed the last of the packing material and the one PIF soap that was present. I passed the PIF soap on to a friend who didn't have much and he appreciated it. I would have been hard pressed to add even one more soap to the box and still be able to close the lid when I sent it on. If you have a plan that's cool but I'm not sure this this will wait until the end of the second pass before needing a larger box or pulling some more items out. There is one soap that the tub is pretty smashed up so that would be a good candidate for removal as a free take by someone who likes it.

I don't think that we're looking just to rid the box of all of the older soaps but to make a little room to actually add some additional soaps. By taking a proactive approach and allowing some soaps to turn into PIF soaps now you can make room for some new additions while still letting the older ones go to someone who might appreciate and use them. This doesn't have to be something that is always done when soaps hit a certain age but maybe could be useful as an option when the box becomes too full.

I do agree that this is a good problem to have and that the box should stay as close to full as possible. It doesn't cost any more to ship that way and it's nice to have more to try. However, I'd rather see someone pull something out as a free take who will actually use and enjoy it rather than someone else pull it out just to make room.

Obviously it's your box and your rules and I really enjoyed participating in it but I wanted you to know just how full the box is so that you can address the space issue as you see fit.

I will take a look tonight before I ship and message demaskee of the ones in poor shape. Last night when trying to pack the box once I added Douglas samples the box was bulging at the seems. I think there is one stirling and one Razorock that have been in since I had it last and one tub is cracked and broken pretty good. I'll let jason make the call before I send it off tomorrow or Wednesday. There are tons of great soaps I'm there folks so losing a few won't make a difference!

Another good idea might be to have the following requirement:
All soaps added to the box must have been purchased for the express purpose of adding them to this passaround box.

This would mean that contributing brand new/unopened soap(s) that one already has in his or her den is not allowed. Yeah, I know --- MWF, or Cella, or {fill in the blank} might be your favorite soap, and you might just happen to have one (or two ... or three!) new/unopened pucks/tubs in your den right now, but that's not going to cut it --- go buy a brand new one to put in the box. This rule would (I hope) help curb folks from merely contributing "good" soaps that they already have just sitting in their den, and -- as a result -- should all-but-eliminate so-so contributions. If folks want to throw-in stuff they already have in their den, that'd be fine, but it wouldn't count towards their required contribution. Seeing as how we already have to send Demaskee pictures of our contribution(s) and take(s), we could easily include the receipt in the picture of our contribution(s).

Just a thought.

That too is a good idea Brian. I find that my faves are not the expensive ones though and that is what we are supposed to add. I have some really pricey soaps and always find myself reaching for the mid-prices ones I have....
Same here, but if all the soaps in my (very limited) den were the same price and equally replaceable, then my "expensive" ones would be getting just as much (and probably more) action than the "cheap" soaps in my den. Cheaper soaps are easier for folks to try on their own than are expensive soaps, so contributing expensive soaps would allow folks to try soaps they might otherwise not bring themselves to try. YMMV, and that's totally cool. :)

Gents,

Just want to chime in here to address this, add some of my perspective and a possible vector. When the box started it had 12 soaps in it and could fit in a medium flat rate box. It has since swelled to around 30 soaps, plus samples and is now busting the seams of a large flat rate box. This is great as it adds variety, shows the generosity of our members who in most cases are clearly adding more than they are taking, but it also comes at a larger cost for shipping, and it appears we are now at a break point.

To realign some things; the initial intent of this box was to allow people to try a large variety of soaps, so they can identify without having to purchase, soaps that don't work for them. It also allows people to find some new favorites, as well as some soaps that might not be taken during the pass, but are noteworthy for future purchases. The ability to take and add soaps keeps the contents continuously fresh and changing.

There are no doubt going to be some brands/scents that are not liked. That being said, if that particular disliked soap wasn't in the box, you would never have first hand knowledge of that, and might make the mistake of someday purchasing that soap. There is value to finding soaps you do not like. At the same time, my goal was to have a box that had more likes than dislikes in it. I was hoping to acheive this by having people add soaps they truly have first hand knowledge with and enjoy. I think about 75-80% of the additions meet this criteria.

I believe one of the unintended consequences of having a large variety of soaps in the same box is with soaps that are pretty good in their own right, but not great when compared side by side with other soaps in the box. I think some of the RazoRock additions fall into this area. Most all of these are pretty good performers, but I believe many get overlooked when someone finds something else they enjoy more. As time goes by, these solid but not taken soaps get sampled more and more, and eventually the contents dwindle down to a level that people aren't going to want to have that soap as part of their take.

I knew this would happen at the start, but I didn't think the box would get too stuffed to create an issue. My thoughts were to let all soaps get through 2 passes. This ensures nearly everyone gets a chance to experience the soap. If a soap goes two passes without being chosen I was going to do a little PIF where people vie for a paricular soap. Again, I think most of these soaps aren't "Birthday Soaps" just soaps that lose out when you have other options next to them in the same box.

In the meantime, if you're seeing things in the box that are looking pretty ragged, let me know/see what it is, and let me know if you want it. If it is in the state you claim it is in, I don't think it will be an issue if you take it without having it count against your $30.00 choice(s). Also, if you are still waiting to get the box, know that it is pretty full and try and plan you additions and takes accordingly.

Does anyone have any objections to this way forward?

I just want to say I'm happy the problem is with the box beeing too full and not with it being too empty/gone. It says a lot about the generosity and restraint the members here consitently show.
Cheers to this!

Gents,

Here is a pic of my takes from the box.

$Takes.jpg

Gentlemen,

I have messaged Jason with a pics of the soaps in disrepair or that have been in the box since I had it last. I will await his decision before sending the box out to the next in line.

- Brad

With my idea I was hoping that one person wouldn't pull out three soaps to keep for free and that maybe instead the next three people could each choose one "free take" to clear some space in the box.

Here's another idea. If you pull an old soap maybe create a few samples from it and leave them in the box as well for others to take and try. A half dozen samples of something would take up a lot less space than a tub would and there would still be some in the box for others to try and review going forward.

I am open to whatever Jason wants to do.

I offered to donate any soaps he would like removed to a charity in the Dominican that I donate excess shaving gear to. It would go to help some worthy young men get a clean shave so they can more easily transition into the workforce and it helps them gain confidence in themselves. Some of the great men on this forum have already helped me and together we have donated over 30 razors, brushes, and shave soaps that they no longer wanted and it has went to a worthy cause.

That said, the box is completely full but I can get it all to fit with a little bulging so I can easily ship it to Android75 as is. The decision is up to Jason and/or the group.

- Brad

Maggards was great,I used it this morning and the scent is VERY nice! The Strop Shoppe is really strongly scented but it makes me think back to Christmas as a kid on the farm. The Dapper Dragon is all my wife but I am sure I will give it a go eventually. There were so many great soaps to choose from but I went with makers I had not tried before to diversify. I have to clean out the shave den for my winter Dominican trip and this will make thinning the older and less used stuff a little easier.

Brad,

Way to go on the charity thing, that's a nice thing to do and seems like a worthy cause for unwanted shave gear. I'd be all for something like that as a destination for some aging soaps. I likely have some things on hand here as well. Maybe post a thread next time you're sending a package.

As far as your takes go, I have the Strop Shoppe Peppermint soaps in the Special edition tallow version and it's excellent. I've been thinking about the Limes and Peppercorn Maggard soap but lime soaps sometimes don't agree with me and lite my face on fire. I'll have to take a look at what scents they have and add them to my list of soaps to try down the road. I know they do samples as well so maybe I'll go that route. I'm interested in the how the performance is on the Dragon soap so once you give it a try maybe put a review up here if you haven't already.

Top Bottom