What's new

2nd round Soap Pass-Around

In post #2247 you can all see that the WSP Rustic Summer Breeze was indeed one of my takes, I apparently forgot to update it as a take in the list though.

Last edited:
Today's shave:

Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1st shave)
Soap: #746
Aftershave: VIBR

Having picked five soaps to try following my sniff pass through the box, I decided to begin this morning with #746 . This soap had a strong and pleasant bay rum scent on the clove-y end of the spectrum - which I prefer, as evidenced by my regular usage of VIBR aftershave. In fact, I tend to use it following most of my non-citrus soaps.

True confession time: I tend to prefer vegan soaps (with a few exceptions), as I don't enjoy the distinctive tallow feel. Something about the character of tallow slickness reminds me too viscerally of its origin… That said, the scent of this morning's soap tempted me to give it a try despite its being tallow-based.

Though the lather wasn't hugely peaked - and didn't remind me of the exceptional slickness and protectiveness of, say, Nuavia - it performed well enough. The post-shave feel was nice and my face still feels good some three hours later.

Sorry about the temporary lack of a pic. Photobucket is apparently down for maintenance. I'll add the photo when they get back up.

Photobucket seems to have fixed their little problem, but I couldn't edit my previous post (bizarre), so here's yesterday's pic:

Brush: Dr. Jon's Silvertip

proxy.php

Another weekday, another shave:

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2nd shave)
Soap: #744
Brush: Simpson PJ2 Best
Aftershave: Arlington

Today's soap was especially intriguing to me, as I've been looking for an agreeable lime scent. Unfortunately, so many lime soaps seem, for lack of a better term, artificial to me. This one, offered by a popular craft maker, was perfect.

The lather was slick, cushiony, and lasting. The scent was very pleasant throughout the shave and detectable for an hour or so thereafter. My wife really liked it, too, so that's a bonus.

proxy.php

Today's soap was especially intriguing to me, as I've been looking for an agreeable lime scent. Unfortunately, so many lime soaps seem, for lack of a better term, artificial to me. This one, offered by a popular craft maker, was perfect.

The lather was slick, cushiony, and lasting. The scent was very pleasant throughout the shave and detectable for an hour or so thereafter. My wife really liked it, too, so that's a bonus.

proxy.php

For me this one ended my search for a really great lime soap. Most lime scented soaps smell synthetic and fake like lime candy. For me this one is perfect, closely resembling the scent of my backyard lime tree. If I pull a leaf from the lime tree and scratch it with my thumbnail before putting it to my nose that's what this soap smells like. The scent is perfect. I find it to be a great performer and used it again just the other day. The matching aftershave is excellent with the same great scent.

Sounds as though I'll be adding another aftershave to my den… :)

I have the splash though they just came out with a balm version that I'm interested in.
I tend to use balms way more frequently than splashes as I feel they do more for my skin and have better moisturizing properties.

I'm just the other way 'round. I prefer splashes and never cared much for anything "lotion-y". Definitely one of those YMMV things…

Love the lime scent, though! I've gone back to sniff it a few times already today - I'm betting it'll be a keeper!

proxy.php
Going to have to watch this one as I love the citrus scents.

InNae

Going to have to watch this one as I love the citrus scents.

Me, too. The ones I like best, though, are more redolent (at least to my nose) of citrus blossoms than ripe fruit. This lime soap being the single exception thus far.

If you like citrus scents, you'd love this one!

Since this soap was a vendor donation you can refer to it by name. I feel this soap is a lot better than it gets credit for. In fact, in my opinion, it's every bit as good as the big name more popular artisan soap makers. I bought this soap for myself after trying it in the soap sample passaround and it instantly made my must buy list. I and asked the vendor to include a second for the passaround box. Not only did he oblige, but he sent me a hand written letter thanking me for thinking of him and for my efforts to help a small business out.

After all, giving the vendor some positive publicity is the least we can do to help him out in exchange for his generosity. Ken, feel free refer to the lime soap by name and to post a pic of the lime soap if you don't mind.

Since this soap was a vendor donation you can refer to it by name. I feel this soap is a lot better than it gets credit for. In fact, in my opinion, it's every bit as good as the big name more popular artisan soap makers. I bought this soap for myself after trying it in the soap sample passaround and it instantly made my must buy list. I and asked the vendor to include a second for the passaround box. Not only did he oblige, but he sent me a hand written letter thanking me for thinking of him and for my efforts to help a small business out.

After all, giving the vendor some positive publicity is the least we can do to help him out in exchange for his generosity. Ken, feel free refer to the lime soap by name and to post a pic of the lime soap if you don't mind.
Well if it's a vendor donation please do share a name. Might just pick it up nose unsmelled.

InNae

I noticed the label says "manufactured for". Did they have someone else make it for them?

Good question. In ever noticed that. CC performs really well, and CC was already known in the AS world for their great scents. This lime caused me a slight reaction (not uncommon for me) and was not my favorite. I prefer a scent more like lime juice or maybe even key lime but not too sweet. I agree with David that most limes either smell synthetic or like candy. CC does not - and is well done. Just not for me

I noticed the label says "manufactured for". Did they have someone else make it for them?

Yes, they do have someone make it for them. Scott did mention that to me a while back when I asked him if he'd like to send some pictures of the soap making process for me to post in the thread. However, I don't know who it is that makes it and I didn't ask.

Today's shave:

Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3rd shave)
Soap: #734
Brush: Wolf Whiskers Silvertip
Aftershave: VIBR

I really liked the scent of this soap right off the bat. Citrus and cedar were the two obvious notes to my nose, though there's more to it that I wasn't able to identify. It's another tallow formulation, but with the addition of shea butter, so I was intrigued to see how I'd like the consistency and post-shave face feel.

The lather whipped up easily, though a bit more water than usual was required to get it right. Once the proper ratio was achieved, it came together nicely and lasted throughout my usual three passes & touchups. It hasn't been long now since I finished shaving (<30 minutes), but my face feels good and I can still smell the soap's pleasant aroma. Very nice!

proxy.php

Top Bottom