What's new

2nd Resto - Rubberset 400-3

Nice work Ratty! Your brush turned out marvelously. I hope it preforms even better than it looks, if that's possible. :) Enjoy the fruit of your labor!

Well yes I did have to stave just a fraction around the widest part of the plug at the bottom of the knot - it was the only time the dremmel was employed. I probably lost around 200 hairs at the periphery of the circumference going round the knot - this way I was also able to feed the knot in from the top (it was still a v v tight squeeze) - I know the good Doctor is able to get his and feed them through the handle but I ended up doing mine in reverse as I thought it just too big to pass through the handle. Photo attached. Ratty $IMG_7543.jpg

Well I've been living with the brush for a few days and its fab. Lathers really well on cream as it should but it handles hard soap so much better than anything I've ever had before. The handle is simply fantastic - and is a joy to hold - so ergonomic. Here's a couple of photos of the bloom - taken about an hour after a shave. I have a stand that I 'adjusted' with a pair of long nosed pliers and reduced the mouth gap slightly - it's nothing special - just one of the chromed wire stands that most shaving sites sell - but it fits a treat now and can stand the brush in either direction. Couple of photos attached here. Ratty $Bloom 2.jpg$Bloom.jpg

How did you get it to a mirror finish?

I think Matt stated it most concisely:

I went: WD40/scouring brush -> 220 dry sand -> 220 wet sand -> 320 dry -> 320 wet -> 400 wet (all wet from here on out) -> 600 -> 800 -> 1000 -> 1500 -> 2000 -> 2500 -> 3000 -> 3M rubbing compound x 4 -> PlastX x 3

You can also employ the assistance of a Dremel when polishing. All sanding, and the final touch polishing should be done by hand. If you'd like a more detailed explanation, please PM me your email address, or visit the "400 Club" thread for more community input.

I've never seen/heard of 400-1 or -2, but I'm pretty sure the 3 and 4 indicated different lengths of the bristle. The top portion unscrews so that barbers could buy one handle and multiple heads to choose between.
Has anyone come across the replacement heads for these? I've only been able to find complete brushes so far.

Has anyone come across the replacement heads for these? I've only been able to find complete brushes so far.

I have been thinking on these quite abit, i think a copper or pvc cap if found with the correct threading can be drilled out and used with these as replacement caps. I havent gotten to a hardware store yet to buy some stuff but i may this weekend. There was a guy on the Rubberset 400 club that was looking into getting caps 3d printed but i think that died out havent heard anything since.

Wow, beautiful restores!

And yes, you guys (and many others, I'm sure) have really driven up the prices:

<Nothing to see here, move along, please>

Last edited:
Top Bottom