What's new

2nd Quarterly Various Aquisition Disorder anti-Restraint (VADER)

Hi,

I need to join up here with a budget of $0. This is the only restraint I ain't In! :p

I know what Darth Dogg would say: Go Out in the the others then join up here! ;)

Stan

So I'm over budget lol. -$17

Hi,

I need to join up here with a budget of $0. This is the only restraint I ain't In! :p

I know what Darth Dogg would say: Go Out in the the others then join up here! ;)

Stan
I'll update the leader board to reflect Stan's attendance with a BOLD budget of $0 and Chad's over budget status. I am sorry to say that my preliminary calculations place me as much as $100 over budget. I bought 2 lots on eBay for purposes of performing razor restor and PIFing (with a couple of restored being sold to cover actual expense of the lot ...I'm nice but not THAT nice) and I have not excluded those purchases from my calculations.
With cvargo' permission I'll grab the details of what put him over budget and post my own spoils so on lookers can live vicariously.

With May now completely in the rear view it is time for the official month end recap. It looks like a few new players have joined the VADER ...Welcome cvargo, we knew you would not be able to resist the acquisition disorder we strive to enable here in the VADER. Let us not forget KQY61 who has joined with a most audacious $0 budget, pledging to participate in EVERY restraint available on B&B.

For those who might want to play along in the remaining days (this quarter will run until the end of June) please feel free to add yourself to the list with a proposed budget ...then SPEND! Feed your acquisition disorder up to the limits you set for yourself. Some call it a restraint I call it A CHALLENGE!

The line up and standings as of May 31:
Line up-

1)CBLindsay $300 budget for ALL shaving Items (no NIB, Brown Leaf or Bourbon limits)
2)Kevdogg329 $50 for Shaving & Nib items (Only exception is my 2016 restraint exception, an ATT razor)

3)Cvargo $100 budget for all shaving
4) KQY61 $0 budget for all shaving

We have a few lurkers but that's it for players. Now...who has spent what? For starters Kevdogg329 and KQY61 are professional restraint players, skilled in the art of stock-up and suck-it-up. As a Steward, Kevdogg329 is able to feed is VAD's through his good deeds and the occasional HOPE that an "I'm In" will yield a score. Stan (KQY61) has been know to MAKE from raw steel, anything he desires, he knows from which Hazel which hazel is made and he drinks his coffee black while enjoying fresh eggs, bacon and buttered toast daily, courtesy of his OWN egg-laying milk-pigs. Stan will NOT fail in this restraint my friends. Now for the other two players, cvargo and CBLindsay are they weak if will ...or do they know something the rest of you do not? Take cvargo for instance, he joined only last month with a $100 budget after completing a grueling MBA program. Surely an MBA would know how to stay on budget ...if it mattered. CBLindsay has a hefty $300 budget as well as a plan to use sales of gear to offset purchases ...and he too is financially savvy, a budget should be no problem right?

The standings:
1)CBLindsay $300 budget $350 spent (actual expenditures higher but only $350 count)
2)Kevdogg329 $50 budget $0 spent
3)Cvargo $100 budget $117 spent
4) KQY61 $0 budget $0 spent (is that like spending your budget?)

So what did cvargo buy that put him over budget? ...but the purple brush was for his wife and THAT does not count against his budget (so cvargo, if you didn't subtract that from your accounting then you may still have $ in your budget1)

proxy.php

What did CBLindsay by? ...What didn't he buy is a better question. Lets just say this, I (CBLindsay) bought a couple of hones including a cool little finishing stone and a hard Ark I am learning to use, I got a few new/old straight razors AND a couple of lots of DE razors. The DE razors and SE razors are mostly so I can restore and PIF them so a chunk of those dollars are removed from the SPENT column BUT I still have a FatBoy I can't seem to fix, if I can't fix it I can't PIF/Sell/Trade or do anything with it so those dollars remain on the books. I Really hoped I would be able to fix it up and give it to a client because it is his birth yr/qrt and that would be a cool gift to give someone who has not had a DE in ages. I have some orders pending for June as well as some sales for June but I project I may end up $100 over budget if I buy the few things I think I want (but I really can wait in those).

Anyone want to join in the fun?

Okay so I will update this then.

So the maggards order was $117 subtract $12 for wife's brush I am at $105.

But a memorial day sale at Shave Revolution got the best of me: I bought Soap Commander Confidence, Sir Hare Third Eye, and Reef Points Test Depth. Totaling $39.69 so let's say $40. Then I received an email that they were actually out of Reef Point so they refund that so my new total is $25.20 So let's say $25. This brings my total spent to: $130. So I am over by $30.

But I do have a Puck of Soap Commander 3 oz Wisdom and Matching aftershave, that I am looking to sell. They have been used twice. So if I ever list the ad I could recoop some money. But Probably would have to sell for $15 + $3 shipping. So would only recoop $15. Still causing me to be over. UGH Maybe I will sell more.

The standings:
1)CBLindsay $300 budget $350 spent (actual expenditures higher but only $350 count)
3)Cvargo $100 budget $130 spent
4) KQY61 $0 budget $0 spent (is that like spending your budget?) ​Yes LOL he's out too!

Hi,

What I need is an Equipment Restraint. Farm equipment. Heavy equipment. With a budget of $25k for the rest of the year. And, I just spent $6k of that on a flail mower.

But, we don't have an equipment forum on B+B, so that won't work. :p

Stan

Okay so I will update this then.

So the maggards order was $117 subtract $12 for wife's brush I am at $105.

But a memorial day sale at Shave Revolution got the best of me: I bought Soap Commander Confidence, Sir Hare Third Eye, and Reef Points Test Depth. Totaling $39.69 so let's say $40. Then I received an email that they were actually out of Reef Point so they refund that so my new total is $25.20 So let's say $25. This brings my total spent to: $130. So I am over by $30.

But I do have a Puck of Soap Commander 3 oz Wisdom and Matching aftershave, that I am looking to sell. They have been used twice. So if I ever list the ad I could recoop some money. But Probably would have to sell for $15 + $3 shipping. So would only recoop $15. Still causing me to be over. UGH Maybe I will sell more.

The standings:
4) KQY61 $0 budget $0 spent (is that like spending your budget?) ​Yes LOL he's out too!

Hi,

In mathematics, Zero can be a bit tricky. As in, if you have Zero lottery tickets, you have Zero chance to win. If you buy One ticket, you now have a tiny chance to win. But, since you went from Zero to One, you have Infinitely improved your chances to win!

Applying Zero here means I am both In and Out simultaneously! :p

Stan

Hi,

Back to the equipment budget.....I have a bulldozer which, like some of my razors, came from my Dad. It is now pushing 60 years old as well as dirt. I plan on getting a 'new' one, meaning a decent used one which is only around 30 years old. I figure that the one I have in mind will cost between $15k and $20k.

There is an online forum where such things are the main topic of discussion. It is even a more civil place than B+B, if anyone would care to believe that. Anyway, those guys are anti-restraint. They are trying to convince me I need a newer and slightly larger machine which would be almost double the cost.

See why I need a Vader Restraint?

Hey! Maybe a dozer *does* fit in here! They do Shave Dirt! And, they can have a Safety Bar (regular blade) or an Open Comb (root rake blade)!

So....my Equipment Vader can read a budget of $25k with $6k spent! :p

How is that for a 'stretch'??

Stan

Edit: BTW, changing from SB to OC is a Royal Pain. So, once I get a 'new' dozer, I will leave the OC on the older machine. That way it still gets a little use and it will be an even better piece to show at old tractor meets. :)

Last edited:
So Stan, what you are saying is you need a Grader-Vader? I don't see why you couldn't just joint the VADER with a budget of $25K, you could report in on the various vintage open comb, safety bar and straight edgers you pick up.

UPDATE:
The standings:
4) KQY61 $25,000 budget $6,000 spent

@Kqy61 is now officially in the lead, having spent more than CBLindsay has by just a little bit. Stan finally broke down and bought a new flail mower for his heavy growth areas and has plans to feed his open comb desires with a larger purchase in the future. Stay tuned folks as Cvargo and CBLindsay try to find enough soap commander and Fine aftershave in stock to catch up. ...Always a gentleman, Stan is more than willing to pause long enough to let the boys stop and smell the fresh cut fields of hay.

Hi,

Ha! Yup, I am in the lead, all right! ;)

And, man, I could make good use of a road grader. This dirt road I have by way of a driveway is a mile long. I do OK with dozer and tractor, but a grader.... Now that would be a fine luxury. Maybe one of those old pull-behinds from the 1920s. :)

The flail mower not so good for hay. Actually, just the opposite. It chops the high stuff up nicely without tending to clog up like the rotary mower does. I use a sickle bar for hay, which leaves it long for bailing. Used to hay a lot, when the neighbor was boarding horses. One by one, the owners sold them off starting back in 2008. So, now there are only his two left. They have more than enough pasture so we converted both his and my hayfields into pasture and got us a few cows.

So, now the Vader thread has become the homesteading and farming thread. :p

Oh, and the gang over on the crawler board are now saying I ought to pick up both a dozer and a loader machine with my budget. They have kindly pointed me to one of each, each at around $15k......both a little too far away to go look at, much less haul or pay for hauling. So I am safe at this point.

Stan

Hi,

The mower arrived on the farm Friday afternoon, just a bit too late in the day to try it out. Total cost was $6302.20 for it. I could hardly wait for Saturday. New Toy Syndrome...... :)

I haven't mowed with a flail in decades. They surely do cut nice, especially since I opted for the smooth-cut knives rather than the side-cutters. Plus, unlike a rotary, flails don't care how tall or heavy the grass is. I had forgotten, though, they do consume a bit more fuel.

I have all of two neighbors (one of those differences living rural), and we all have pastures, but neither have ever used a flail. They have only seen them used by the highway departments who use side-cutter blades which whack up brush and debris but leave a rough cut on grass and weeds. Both want one now seeing how nice smooth-cut knives work.

I guess I am a Dark Lord of Mowers.... :p

Stan

Edit: To put it in perspective, this 8-foot flail mower cost 3x what the local Farm Store gets for an 8-foot rotary mower. Darth, indeed! ;)

Last edited:
Hi,

Hmmmm. Pictures. As it sits, all you'll see is a big green rectangle sitting on the back of a green tractor. If I drop down for a low shot, all you'll see is the big steel roller it rides on. The working part is seen from forward, but there is a tractor in the way - won't see a thing. Maybe a couple flail knives as the unit is wider than the tractor tires. Not a very good pic....

I will be taking it off soon for something else. Maybe later today, or tomorrow morning depending on the heat today. Then, I can take a shot of the working part - the flail shaft and cutting knives.

Everyone knows what rotary mowers look like underneath. The old one was simply wider with five rotating blades and went on back of the tractor and was powered by the PTO shaft. Boring. Flails are a bit more interesting. ;)

Stan

Hi,

Hmmmm. Pictures. As it sits, all you'll see is a big green rectangle sitting on the back of a green tractor. If I drop down for a low shot, all you'll see is the big steel roller it rides on. The working part is seen from forward, but there is a tractor in the way - won't see a thing. Maybe a couple flail knives as the unit is wider than the tractor tires. Not a very good pic....

I will be taking it off soon for something else. Maybe later today, or tomorrow morning depending on the heat today. Then, I can take a shot of the working part - the flail shaft and cutting knives.

Everyone knows what rotary mowers look like underneath. The old one was simply wider with five rotating blades and went on back of the tractor and was powered by the PTO shaft. Boring. Flails are a bit more interesting. ;)

Stan

A lot more in my opinion.

Alright, with about 2 weeks to go Stan is definitely impressing us all with his ability to spend large $ on earth shaving gear while still staying within the allotted budget for such items.

...But I have BAD news on the CBLindsay front. With a budget of $300 I had spent a bunch but had $350 of VADER qualified expenses on the books as of last check in. Since then I have successfully PIF'd a full $50 in items obtained via eBay during this VADER making it look as if I MIGHT come in on budget on a technicality (if I test it but PIF it, the expense doesn't count against the budget ...don't try that with the capital one card). Perhaps inspired by Stan or more likely CHAD [MENTION=87630]cvargo[/MENTION], and other members of CEC [MENTION=89999]skypsyd[/MENTION] [MENTION=102600]Devonmoonshire[/MENTION] [MENTION=82524]cmh737[/MENTION] [MENTION=92153]labrax[/MENTION] I proceeded to purchase more (much MORE) stuff that I needed to have. The total amount of these purchases and the ones still in the mail put me significantly over budget. So unless I sell a car or one of my children, I am definitely over budget again.

But I now have:
3 more soaps and an aftershave from Sapanoficio Varesino
another Fine soap and matching aftershaves for all 3 flavors I now own.
3 pucks of Musgo Glyce in flavors you can't just find anywhere.

So I figure I am now at about $530 for the quarter. Anyone know an acronym that sounds more sinister than VADER?

Okay it was hard but I sold something!

I sold my Soap Commander Wisdom set for $20. It was the small tub and smaller aftershave balm.

[FONT=&quot]The standings:[/FONT]
1)CBLindsay $300 budget $530
3)Cvargo $100 budget $130 spent Sold $20 Over $10

Hey Chris you are already over budget... would you like the Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill and aftershave? Or maybe the Soap Commander Renewal(fougere) Set? :thumbup1::a30:

Okay it was hard but I sold something!

I sold my Soap Commander Wisdom set for $20. It was the small tub and smaller aftershave balm.

The standings:
1)CBLindsay $300 budget $530
3)Cvargo $100 budget $130 spent Sold $20 Over $10

Hey Chris you are already over budget... would you like the Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill and aftershave? Or maybe the Soap Commander Renewal(fougere) Set? :thumbup1::a30:

Over budget, HA! I am not over budget I am under funded
I promised Darren I would buy some soap from him soon so I better do my soap commander from the source (even though yours has proven to lather better and smell better than any other in the universe ...in case anyone is interested) I just need to figure out how I am going to introduce all this new stuff to the Den without SWMBO noticing the rapid influx of NEW.

Over budget, HA! I am not over budget I am under funded
I promised Darren I would buy some soap from him soon so I better do my soap commander from the source (even though yours has proven to lather better and smell better than any other in the universe ...in case anyone is interested) I just need to figure out how I am going to introduce all this new stuff to the Den without SWMBO noticing the rapid influx of NEW.

My recommendation. Wait about 1 week or so. He is releasing the Summer scent soon and trust me it is good!

The Final Tally of the second quarterly Various Acquisition Disorder anti-Restraint VADER is upon us. It would appear a Acquisition is no longer considered a disorder so much as a condition for enrollment into a new club here on B&B, The Central Enablement Center C.E.C http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/493840-Central-enablement-center?p=8326977#post8326977 a place were members attempt to stimulate the worldwide economy through continuous acquisitions ...those that find themselves unable to locate a new item to purchase need only browse the thread's casual banter to locate the most incredible must have items of the shaving world. A word of warning... Don't join the club or follow the journals of those who have if you are not able to control your urges. The race is long, pace yourself. IF you feel the need to set limits (that you will most likely blow past) I suggest you participate in a VADER by setting a reasonable budget.

When Stan (@KQY61) entered the VADER with his $25k budget for earth shaving gear we thought his $6k expenditure in June would be hard to match. [MENTION=80119]kevdogg329[/MENTION] remained strong spending Nada, Chad (@cvargo) came on strong with a new Wolf Whiskers purchase (his number was called ...will you be next?). But it seems CBLindsay (me) was tempted outspend Stand. Already way over budget I headed the Clarion call of the C.E.C., what WAS purchased no longer mattered only what was arriving in the mail counted. I fell to the siren song of Saponficio Verisinio and Fine Accoutrements first. Then the discussion turned to Genco razors, I had one but needed another. Before long I had nearly every SV soap, most SV and a couple AS's, All but one Fine soap and AS combo, a cool Genco "safedg" AND a Genco "Easy Aces" (you KNOW that's a great find), a Klas Tornblom and a couple of injector razors. ...basically I blew my third quarter budget too.

So were do we stand?

The standings:
1)CBLindsay $300 budget Spent ...Lets just call it $1000 since I don't want to know if it was any more.
3)Cvargo $100 budget $130 spent Sold $20 Over $10 Plus a Wolf Whiskers Brush

So what did we learn? Don't take up earth mowing as a hobby because Stan still spent more! ...And the other C.E.C. Brethren (ladies welcome) [MENTION=89999]skypsyd[/MENTION], [MENTION=108196]dexutter[/MENTION], [MENTION=102600]Devonmoonshire[/MENTION], cmh737, @smattayou, [MENTION=108546]Thundert65[/MENTION] as well as the "covert" operatives as yet identified, are VERY good at Enablement.

Top Bottom