What's new

2nd Phase Beginner (but really the first)

About 6 months ago I decided to give the pipe life a go. I went down to my local smoke shop and from what little choice they had, purchased a small (tiny) cob pipe and a fresh baggie of Mac Baren PlumCake.

I've enjoyed it far more than I suspected. At first, it was something of a forced calm - I had to really put some effort into relaxing, which sound funny to write. What started as an enforced calm moment in the evenings turned into a really rejuvinating almost zen-like excersise. Of course, like most of us I'm sure, I also am enjoying the physicality of smoking ritual and accessories.

A few months ago I found B&B and started upping my shaving technique and gear. I've been eyeballing The Brown Leaf but didn't start digging into the posts till a few weeks ago. I am just now starting to get my head around what all it is I don't know. :) I did quickly realize it was time to upgrade my kit, however.

I purchased what seems (to me) to be the "standard" B&B recommendations from SmokingPipes.

1668732831211.png

Just shipped out today. I wanted to say thanks to the members here, this recommendation was easy to suss out in the threads (it's made A LOT! lol) and I'm looking forward to my future smoking adventures.

Welcome to the Brown Leaf! There is a lot to learn from the enablers who hang around here, not the least of which is how to part with a good bit of hard earned cash as you engage PAD & TAD. Do remember, pipe and tobacco purchases are an investment against the uncertain future (see how that works?). You've a good start with your upgraded kit. My best advice is to stick with the SWR until you get the basics smoothed out; packing, lighting, tamping, cadence. Once you feel good about those elements, then you can enter the wonderous world of tobacco blends without having to fight the pipe. Enjoy the journey!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Welcome! Just about every thing you read here is experience based knowledge heavily skewed with personal opinion. At the same time a lot of us seem to have the same experiences. In the end all we want is for you to enjoy the hobby to the utmost :).

Did anyone mention you need to start hoarding, err, stocking up on tobacco before the inevitable Tobaccolypse? :lol:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The key to this is enjoying the journey and having fun with it.
There are no "rules" that have to be followed, it should be a relaxing enjoyable hobby for you, whatever iteration that becomes.
I've read some posts on a few pipe forums and it's apparent that the pipe snobs are alive and well and doing a bang up job at telling others what they are doing wrong.
Fortunately this site seems to be free of that kind of condescension.
If it is a fun relaxing hobby to you, then you're doing it right!

Phil is spot on. Smoke how and what you like. Like many maxims for life, the advice is simple, but not easy. Discovering the best "how" for you takes time, experience, and some focused experimentation. The same goes for the "what". You will get much advice on both, but in the end, it is your enjoyment that matters. The good news is that all the experimentation is mostly enjoyable. I've only found a couple of blends that were, for me, distasteful, the rest are on a sliding scale from meh to great.
And, I have received some great advice here, like, 'find what you like and stock up', 'if you need to spend a little more to get that free s/h, add Escudo', stuff like that. Like I said earlier, enablers abound, but they have your best smoking experience at heart. Have fun.

@luvmysuper, @KellyG thank you both for the sage advice. I appreciate the wisdom and the warm welcome.

'if you need to spend a little more to get that free s/h, add Escudo'

quickly scribbling that down
I've found those pieces of advice to be great. The SWR wasn't my favorite, but I seem to be in the minority with that. And despite it not being me favorite, it's very well behaved in a pipe, very forgiving of the mistakes we all make when learning.

Tobacco is a lot like shaving soaps and creams. We all have our favorites but they're all going to be decent at least. Just go show, take your time, learn the mechanics, and ask what questions you have when you have them. Don't worry about relights, it happens to everyone.

Once you're done, or almost done that pouch of SWR, Smokingpipes has one ounce samples of their bulk tobaccos. I would recommend going nuts on those one once purchases. Getting like 6 or 10 at a time is a fast effective way to see what you like without spending paychecks at a time.

About 6 months ago I decided to give the pipe life a go. I went down to my local smoke shop and from what little choice they had, purchased a small (tiny) cob pipe and a fresh baggie of Mac Baren PlumCake.

I've enjoyed it far more than I suspected. At first, it was something of a forced calm - I had to really put some effort into relaxing, which sound funny to write. What started as an enforced calm moment in the evenings turned into a really rejuvinating almost zen-like excersise. Of course, like most of us I'm sure, I also am enjoying the physicality of smoking ritual and accessories.

A few months ago I found B&B and started upping my shaving technique and gear. I've been eyeballing The Brown Leaf but didn't start digging into the posts till a few weeks ago. I am just now starting to get my head around what all it is I don't know. :) I did quickly realize it was time to upgrade my kit, however.

I purchased what seems (to me) to be the "standard" B&B recommendations from SmokingPipes.

View attachment 1558424

Just shipped out today. I wanted to say thanks to the members here, this recommendation was easy to suss out in the threads (it's made A LOT! lol) and I'm looking forward to my future smoking adventures.

Looks like a solid start, all good choices.

Tobacco is a lot like shaving soaps and creams.

Once you're done, or almost done that pouch of SWR, Smokingpipes has one ounce samples of their bulk tobaccos. I would recommend going nuts on those one once purchases. Getting like 6 or 10 at a time is a fast effective way to see what you like without spending paychecks at a time.

Ahhh.

That's exactly what I'm doing with soaps. I started with a Mike's Natural Barbershop and have been going through a ton of samples since, both to learn what I like and to refine my understanding of what's "good" in my terms. Which is turning out to be a real moving target here at first of course :).

Thanks @RookieGuy, that seems like a very fun yet economical and logical approach to explore the different realms of tobacco.

Wow, two-three days later and SmokingPipes delivers.

1668908050898.png

I'm going to brush up again on the basics again here in a little bit, looking to avoid moving any bad habits forward with the new kit, and give it a spin this evening.

Thanks for the guidance, encouragement and serious B&B generosity - THANK YOU @RookieGuy for offering to send me some tobacco samples. I don't even know what to say, other than I hope to have the experience and stash to follow in your footsteps someday. When I help those new guys out I'll think of you.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Wow, two-three days later and SmokingPipes delivers.

View attachment 1559503

I'm going to brush up again on the basics again here in a little bit, looking to avoid moving any bad habits forward with the new kit, and give it a spin this evening.

Thanks for the guidance, encouragement and serious B&B generosity - THANK YOU @RookieGuy for offering to send me some tobacco samples. I don't even know what to say, other than I hope to have the experience and stash to follow in your footsteps someday. When I help those new guys out I'll think of you.
SP is one of the fastest out the door guys I have dealt with.
If we could just get Smoking Pipes to share shipping ideas with Tobacco Pipes, and Tobacco Pipes to share computer crash prevention with Smoking Pipes, we'd be set!

I wanted to wrap this thread with the first smoke report and a last thank you to the group.

I had a very enjoyable pipe last night. Easily the best smoking experience I've had.

For the first time I think I managed to pack the bowl semi-correctly and used the tamper appropriately. Somewhere I read that the tamper was critical to keeping the bowl lit and that just clicked for me. Using just the weight of the tool, I did the initial tamp and then two other tamps, each as I felt it about to go out. And each time the cherry roared right back.

Ahh, I see.

I only used the bic lighter twice: The first time - which I decided to call a charring light after it died, lol - and then the second light. I'll admit I got more excited as the bowl kept going, watching my previous re-light records fade away. That's 3x fewer re-lights than the best I ever managed with my mini-cob. Which I was packing far too densely, in hindsight.

The SWR struck me as mild but rich and very pleasant. It seemed very easy to load in this pipe - forgiving, perhaps? I enjoyed it and feel it was a great recommendation. As is this Country Gentleman! Feels great in the hand and gives off this vibe like it's been used for decades already. The bowl seems huge to me, but I think this is the first "real" pipe I've ever held so I didn't really know what to expect. I know it feels good though, comfortable and ergonomic to smoke with.

In all, it was enjoyable, technically mostly-successful (finally!) and very very encouraging. I'm already looking forward to the next session.

Thanks for all your help and encouragement!

SP is one of the fastest out the door guys I have dealt with.
If we could just get Smoking Pipes to share shipping ideas with Tobacco Pipes, and Tobacco Pipes to share computer crash prevention with Smoking Pipes, we'd be set!
My Tobacco Pipes orders have always been fastest with free shipping. Maybe SP would be faster if I chose a non-free shipping option. TP takes 2-3 days for me, and SP about a week. But I'm not complaining. A week is reasonable for free shipping.

Top Bottom