What's new

2nd DE razor recommendation

I've been using an EJ 89 (barley) since December and am thinking about getting a Weber when they become available again this month. Has anybody used both razors who could comment on whether the shave would be better? Threads on Shaveden suggest that the Weber DLC and ARC seem a bit more "efficient" yet still forgiving than the EJ. Some folks also thought the ARC was a bit slicker, which is suggested by the Weber site. I know that a slant is also often recommended. Any thought?

I think you'll find that most folks who buy a weber pretty much use it exclusively or more often than their other razors.

I know I do.

Yes, I've heard great things about the weber as well. I'm waiting till they are in stock this month as well to grab one. I prefer open-comb or more aggressive razors myself, so I'm not sure if I will like the weber. The Fatip is a modern open comb razor...its available from many places online (Bullgoose is one of our B&B vendors and he stocks them). You should buy the Fatip at some point, you will enjoy it. Weber is a must own from almost anyone I talk with that has one.

I started with a Merkur 23C and it proved too mild. I hear that the EJ89 is similar but has a better rep. I bought a Weber DLC last March and used it exclusively until early this month. It is much better than the beginner Merkur. I picked up a old Gillette Slim Adjustable early this month and have been playing with it, alternating with the Weber. The really like the Slim but the Weber is still my favorite. Just buy it. You'll love it. If you don't, I'm sure one of the fine gentlemen here will be happy to take it off your hands.

There are a lot of great options and it all kind of depends on what you want to try. If you want vintage, you could try an adjustable. You could look at modern razors like the Weber or FaTip. There are also vintage open comb razors you could try such as the Old-type, New Improved, or New. Let's not forget the slants either. Then there's crazy aggressive, the 2011 R41. Or you could spend a little extra and get a Tradere or Joris.

I haven't heard of a Fatip. I assume it's different than a Fat Boy?

Yes, its his Italian chubby cousin .........
proxy.php

Thanks for all the advice. I'm leaning toward the Weber at the moment as I don't want to go too aggressive (open comb) just yet. I'd like to try a vintage razor, but maybe later down the road. Plus that gives me an excuse to look in antique stores and ebay in the meantime. Now the only decision is DLC or ARC? From what I've read folks love both, again with some saying that ARC is a bit slicker on the face. But then there is the slant, which is cheaper and has a good reputation. Many folks say the aggressiveness is overrated. Ah, so many good choices, none of them really wrong.

Last edited:
I used to use a Futur set at 4, did so for almost ten years. I thought that was a really nice razor, especially coupled with some feather blades. Just recently, I purchased a ARC Weber and this thing hands down is a better razor. I use Derby's in it instead of the Feather blades and it just glides almost too easy. I sometimes think it's not even cutting, but it is. I can't say enough great things about it. I can not argue the merits of DLC vs ARC, but I don't care, this is THE razor for me. As an FYI I have a thick , corse Mediterranean beard and a face I thought was somewhat sensitive until the Weber. Whatever you choose, good luck!

I used to use a Futur set at 4, did so for almost ten years. I thought that was a really nice razor, especially coupled with some feather blades. Just recently, I purchased a ARC Weber and this thing hands down is a better razor. I use Derby's in it instead of the Feather blades and it just glides almost too easy. I sometimes think it's not even cutting, but it is. I can't say enough great things about it. I can not argue the merits of DLC vs ARC, but I don't care, this is THE razor for me. As an FYI I have a thick , corse Mediterranean beard and a face I thought was somewhat sensitive until the Weber. Whatever you choose, good luck!

Thanks. I'm really leaning toward the ARC.

I'm really enjoying the Weber Classic/DLC and the Muhle R41 Grande in my current rotation; it's a very nice combo. The Weber works pretty well with any blade I've thrown at it so far - always a great shave. The R41 is a bit more finicky I think about blades.

Top Bottom