What's new

2nd day stubble very itchy all of a sudden. Any idea why?

I’ve been shaving for nearly 20 years. My facial hair isn’t very thick, but it is thick enough to produce a reasonable beard. I’ve most commonly shaved every other day without issue, but even when I go days or weeks without shaving I rarely get itchy. But recently my stubble is very itchy the day after I shave. Could this be a problem with my equipment? Or is it more likely that my beard has gotten thicker slowly over the years and it’s gotten to a point where it’s itchy now?

In case it’s relevant, I’ve used Feather disposable blades in my safety razor for about 10 years, and have been using a straight razor for about 3 years. I almost never use my safety razor anymore so I’m not sure if it would cause this or not, but my straight razor definitely does. My straight razor still cuts as well as it did when I got it (I strop it with aluminum oxide or whatever it is, plus linen and then leather).

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
It is most probably your straight razor. Best you give up trying with a straight razor, sell it on BST, and go back to "safety" razors.

Perhaps your beard has gotten slowly thicker and you skin has also gotten thinner and dryer as you have aged? Does applying a face moisturizing lotion to your face provide any relief? I know i often have to use one to prevent the whiskers from irritation my skin as they grow back in.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It is most probably your straight razor. Best you give up trying with a straight razor, sell it on BST, and go back to "safety" razors.
You may be a guy like me whose dry/droll sense of humor can often come across as unhelpful advice without the use of an emoji to clarify that what you are saying is intended as humor.
At least, I hope that's the case!

You may be a guy like me whose dry/droll sense of humor can often come across as unhelpful advice without the use of an emoji to clarify that what you are saying is intended as humor.

Yeah, I think it was supposed to be funny, though maybe not so helpful to someone looking for real answers.

Is it an allergy to something? Did you change soap, shave cream, or aftershave recently? (Or did the formula of a product you've been using get changed?)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Yes, it's my English sense of humour. Also common in many other countries but often missed by Americans.

Faces change over a lifetime. Maybe that your face is currently doing so. Try changing one thing about the shave and see how it goes. Maybe skip the brush for a few shaves.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I’ve been shaving for nearly 20 years. My facial hair isn’t very thick, but it is thick enough to produce a reasonable beard. I’ve most commonly shaved every other day without issue, but even when I go days or weeks without shaving I rarely get itchy. But recently my stubble is very itchy the day after I shave. Could this be a problem with my equipment? Or is it more likely that my beard has gotten thicker slowly over the years and it’s gotten to a point where it’s itchy now?

In case it’s relevant, I’ve used Feather disposable blades in my safety razor for about 10 years, and have been using a straight razor for about 3 years. I almost never use my safety razor anymore so I’m not sure if it would cause this or not, but my straight razor definitely does. My straight razor still cuts as well as it did when I got it (I strop it with aluminum oxide or whatever it is, plus linen and then leather).

I'm wondering when "recently" is in terms of how long ago you got the increased itch. Three years of str8 shaving and only "recently" a change in resulting itch hints at it being something other than the razor itself (maybe).

I'm wondering if there was some other change in your routine or equipment that could explain the itch? Maybe a new soap or cream to lather with? Or a new aftershave? Perhaps something seemingly unconnected to shaving ... a change in diet or sleep pattern for example? Moved to a new house? Started or stopped using a water softener? Different laundry soap?

And maybe it could be the razor ... in that while you say you keep it just as sharp as ever ... well, maybe you do and maybe you don't. It might have been slowly getting duller and duller and you just didn't notice. Like the frog in the pot of slowly boiling water. You might want to see what happens if you just shave with the DE with those feather blades for a month or so ... see if the itch goes away.

Or maybe you are just getting old.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Well, it could be a lot of things, and there's nothing wrong with starting a long experimentation period to eliminate the possibilities.

But if you've not changed your soap or razor or other parts of your routine it's probably a change in your skin/beard and/or the ravages of time. I'd definitely try a moisturizer morning and night, as that could possibly be an easy solution (unless you've got oily skin).

My own take is that the universe is tired of seeing you with stubble and is insisting you shave daily - like a gentleman. :facep:

Generally when I end up with itchy whiskers it's due to needing a moisturizer for my skin. If you're in a temperate zone (like me), the onset of colder temps can dry your skin. Also, as we age, our skin loses a lot of it's natural elasticity. So, those are elements for my skin issues.

Great suggestions above!

My suggestion is that you change one item in your routine every few days until you get this figured out.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Sometimes, skin conditions seem to arrive out of nowhere with no warning. The first time psoriasis hit me, I was at work... my whole back broke out in very small red bumps... looked like measles....so close together, I could have been in a medical text book. My GP thought I had some strange fungus infection and prescribed something for that but it didn't help. Took me a while to get into a dermatologist.... and in the meantime, the biopsy results came back to my GP... they sort of arrived at the same time... Psoriasis.... It wasn't until a few years later that the psoriatic arthritis reared its ugly head.... one of the curves life throws at us.

Just a few months ago, I started getting similar red bumps to those first ones I'd had all those years ago.... seemingly out of nowhere. This time, I got into the dermatologist the same day I called... they had a cancelation... just luck. She prescribed Metro Gel (common name)... that cleared it up in just a few days.

As you age, both your beard and skin conditions change. Not everyone experiences the same things the same way. For me, my beard became super coarse and turned white; my beard is like steel wool.

In contrast, my skin became thin, dry and very sensitive.

You did not mention anything about your shaving soap. In recent years many artisans, especially in the EU, have jumped on the vegan bandwagon. You might have been using the same soap for many years, but it the formulation changed, it will work differently. Many other artisans, primarily in North America have recognized the skin care issues of aging shavers and have tried to introduce soaps that provide ingredients to soften, moisturize and condition your skin.

Since I do not know your age, or the condition of your skin and beard, or which products you currently use, I am not in a position to provide recommendations. If you are interested in exploring soap options further, send me a Private Message.

Top Bottom