What's new

2nd brush advice

I've been shaving with the same brush for the past 10 years and it's the one area of shaving where I've never tried a different product. This is more curiosity than anything, especially since curiosity has helped me find a better way to shave! My challenge is that I don't know where to begin because I've only used 1 brush (2 if you count my travel brush).

My brush is the Black Pure shaving brush from Art of Shaving and it's served me well. I use Crown Shaving cream and a bowl.

Because I've never really used another brush I don't know what constitutes better. What I know is that I've steadily improved my shave by trying different products and approaches. The one thing I think I'd like is a slightly smaller brush, since I feel it's easier to use my travel brush, although the travel brush is smaller than I'd like.

It would be helpful to hear what's "better" for the same price or less ($60) and the best brush you'd recommend for $100 or less. What are your recommendations?

Happy to answer questions, too, thanks!

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
For a less expensive brush I would recommend an Omega Evo Synthetic. For a less budget friendly option I would go for Simpsons or Shavemac.

You are going to get a lot of recommendations, so here is mine. Go to the Italian Barber and pick out a Plissoft knot in a handle your style. I used the same Badger brush for 11 months before I gave in and spent $20 on my Razorock brush. Now I want to shave with it every day.

A Plissoft knot is good. Look on Amazon for a Simpson, in synthetic the Trafalgar series are nice and some Best Badger fit into your budget. I started with an inexpensive Badger then moved to Synthetics and now have a preference for Silvertip, Manchurian and Best Badgers. Today many will have specials on brushes, so is a good time to look.

I recommend the Executive Shaving Company Synthetic brush. You can choose between small, medium and big size. Incredibly soft and lather cream or soap in no time. Also on the cheaper side. I have the medium size and it is one of the finest brushes I know

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've been shaving with the same brush for the past 10 years and it's the one area of shaving where I've never tried a different product. This is more curiosity than anything, especially since curiosity has helped me find a better way to shave! My challenge is that I don't know where to begin because I've only used 1 brush (2 if you count my travel brush).

My brush is the Black Pure shaving brush from Art of Shaving and it's served me well. I use Crown Shaving cream and a bowl.

Because I've never really used another brush I don't know what constitutes better. What I know is that I've steadily improved my shave by trying different products and approaches. The one thing I think I'd like is a slightly smaller brush, since I feel it's easier to use my travel brush, although the travel brush is smaller than I'd like.

It would be helpful to hear what's "better" for the same price or less ($60) and the best brush you'd recommend for $100 or less. What are your recommendations?

Happy to answer questions, too, thanks!
Copying a portion of my response to another synthetic brush thread:
Was reading my posts in this thread. Interesting how my synthetic brush preferences have evolved.

It's also really cool just how good synthetic brushes have gotten.

My 'Really Good' list has expanded:
Full Moon
Silvertip Fiber
Shavemac
EVO
Zenith
Original BOSS Fan
Quartermoon
Timberwolf Fan
PAA Roswell Grey Hybrid
PAA Amber Aerolite Stygian Synth Hybrid
PAA Nexus Hybrid
Tuxedo

I'm even enjoying the big Plissoft knot on the RazoRock Butterscotch Beehive.

Seems like a wonderful selection of brushes to choose from. :)

YMMV

Synthetic brushes have gotten really good.

My current list of knots and brushes in my extended synthetic rotation:

Full Moon
Silvertip Fiber
Shavemac
EVO
Zenith
Original BOSS Fan
Quartermoon
Timberwolf Fan
PAA Roswell Grey Hybrid
PAA Amber Aerolite Stygian Synth Hybrid
PAA Nexus Hybrid
Tuxedo
Plissoft knot on the RazoRock Butterscotch Beehive.

You can get quality brushes with any of these knots for under $100. Just depends on what you want in a brush - and only you can answer that.

YMMV

Budget?

Synthetic or boar are less expensive for good quality brushes.

If you want to go badger, then expect to pay more.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
If I were spending your money I'd sample a synth, a badger, and a boar and hand you change from your $100 when I was finished. You can get a Simpsons Berkeley 46, a fine quality Best Badger brush from Amazon for $38 shipped; a Plissoft from Italian Barber for about $12, and a terrific Razorock (Zenith) boar for $9 to $25 depending on the handle, also at Italian Barber. Comes out to $75 or less, total.

Simpson special in best or a simpson 55 in best. Both small brushes. Both great brushes!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

You need to get with the crowd. With the many rabbit holes in this forum, a more common question would be “What do you suggest for my next (12th) brush.” 🤡🤡

I favor badger brushes. When you consider a quality badger brush will last 10 to 20 years I would get an expensive brush that costs at least $100, maybe $150. You will never regret the decision.

I'd rather have one high quality brush than several mediocre quality brushes. The cost would be the same.

Thank you for all the quick replies! I had my eye on a Simpson brush, I went with a Berkley 46 in Best based on the suggestions in this thread, and since synthetics and boar brushes are so inexpensive (had no idea) I picked up one of each to try them out. That should help me figure out what I really like.

Simpsons Berkeley 46 in Best is way beyond an awesome brush. Love mine!

IMG_0056.jpeg

I'd recommend a simple synthetic! They don't break a bank and work so well for the price.

There are many great options like Razorock plissoft, Stirling synthetic, Yaqi timberwolf, etcs.

Top Bottom