What's new

2nd Attempt at straights...

Hi gents,

My name is Dow, I posted on the "general shave clinic/newbie" introduction page last week, and a few members suggested I post here in the "straights" forums as well.

I'm 36 and used a Mach 3 all throughout high school and 8 years in the Navy on submarines...except bootcamp...disposable Bic single bladed, against my will of course. Terrible razor burn and irritated skin all through boot camp....makes me quiver thinking about it.

I work for the railroad now, and I had a buddy of mine there introduce me to straights several years ago. I had also previously inherited a few straights from my great grand-father, and great uncle...along with their barber's hones, but never used any of them, but i did have the good sense to save them. My friend at the railroad sold me a few vintage razors that he had restored, and also sharpened my inherited razors so I could use them. I shaved for about 6 months with them, stropping before and after use, but they became in need of a honing again, and my friend had transferred to another region. So...in the drawer the straights went....until now.

I picked up the Mach 3 again, but became fed-up with the prices for blades...so I have been using my old Schick injector razors, which do a fine job for me. But I've become interested in my straights once more and broke them out again too. I cleaned up/lapped one of the barber's hones I have...and am in the middle of lapping the other...hoping I can learn to sharpen my straights on them and get back to shaving as it was meant to be. It's been pointed out to me that these hones are not the best...but I figure i'd give 'em a try.

The green pearloid scaled razor was my great grandfather's.

Glad to be here....Dow

IMG_E8349.jpg IMG_8345.jpg IMG_8503.JPG IMG_8524.JPG IMG_8528.JPG

Nice set of razors, there. As for hones, you don’t need the best. Welcome to straight shaving. Honing isn’t difficult. I’m confident you’l be shaving with the cut throats again in no time.

First off - thank you for your service!

Best of luck as you retry SRs! I took the opposite route...DEs, SRs, SEs, all of various types, and am just now coming around to injectors...man, it feels like cheating! Such good shavers though.

Nice set of gear to get you started!

Good thing you picked up your injector, those things are a real treat! I use mine XTG under my chin, it is the only thing that will get those pesky whiskers and finish my shave with a BBS.

I'm glad you are giving the straights another go! There are a bunch of us here that would be happy to help you in any way possible. If you are in need of help, by all means PM me and I'll touch up your razors for you.

As far as finishing them on those old barbers hones, people get mixed results. Some of them are still really good finishers while others have started to breakdown with age and provide a sloppy edge. If you are interested in learning to hone from bevel set to finish, I suggest you check out the Honing section of the Straight razor subforum.

Congrats on the family razors, believe it or not most of the guys on the forum are not lucky enough to own family heirlooms such as yours. I cherish my Great Grandfathers Fatboy and my Great Great Grandfather's 6/8 Torrey.

I wish you luck in starting again!

Matt

If those barber hones hones don't do it - don't give up. They can be hit or miss and most say miss. Some synthetic stones like the norton 4/8K and a naniwa 12K are pretty consistent unlike variation you can find in nice natural stones. Much cheaper is of course the lapping films and even pasted strops (several options and even more opinions). Just don't let a barber hone be your determining factor is all.

Thanks very much guys! Haven't found time to finish the hones yet.....BUT.....I did find a Weck Sextoblade for cheap! can't wait to try it out!

Also...I have a couple old Durham Duplex razors that were my great-grandfathers too...and I never gave them the time of day until recently. Took them out of the curio cabinet and have been trying to find some of the Personna Pathology blades.

And Matt....thanks for the offer to touch up the razors....if I can't figure it out...I may reach out to you.

Dow

Top Bottom