What's new

28mm Finest F2 TGN hate it

I have a 28mm Finest F2 TGN knot in a black handle I got off BST
I also have a Whipped dog 24 and a B&B boar. I can't get used to the backbone in the finest.Any suggestions
Should I give up on it?

Remove the knot using the steam method and put whatever knot you want in there. Or if you are feeling lazy just resell it on the BST. I think the B&B boar has a lot of backbone in it, probably just as much as if not more than a TGN Finest. Seems kind of inconsistent, but you like what you like.

Put it back on the BST?

Use it to face lather?

I doubt it's gonna change characteristics so unless your preference changes...

Remove the knot using the steam method and put whatever knot you want in there. Or if you are feeling lazy just resell it on the BST. I think the B&B boar has a lot of backbone in it, probably just as much as if not more than a TGN Finest. Seems kind of inconsistent, but you like what you like.

The size diff of the knot is probably significant to create the preference.

The feel on the face is good but it's so dense it doesn't seem to release product well for second or third passes. Is this common with 2bands

The feel on the face is good but it's so dense it doesn't seem to release product well for second or third passes. Is this common with 2bands

Here is where the problem lies, I did not take into account the size difference. With a bigger brush you simply need to use more product. That's all there is to it. TGN knots are dense, but they are nowhere near Simpsons Chubby dense, and they should have a fairly decent flow through. I load all of my bigger brushes with soaps for an entire minute. Creams? I don't use them so I can't really comment. You probably just need a longer load time and/or some more cream and you should be fine.

The lather hog character seems to be more a matter of one of two things.

New brushes seem to have a greater than normal dislike for water and seem to repel water until they are used enough to loose that quality. The cure is more use. What I sometimes do with a new brush to get it past this characteristic is to lather it daily, even if it is only with bath soap, until it takes up water better. Sometimes it can take a few weeks. Shave with another brush until then.

Sometimes being a lather hog is simply that you don't have enough lather yet. It is learning the technique for that brush. A little more patience. A little bit of water on the brush, build what lather you can, add a little more water, build some more lather, and so on until you get what you need. Too much water at once won't get you there. Have patience. I had a good shave this morning with a brush that I originally deemed as a lather hog. I moved on to other brushes, but learned more over time until the brush now accepts water well and my technique has improved so that I recognize when a brush needs only a little water at a time.

If I would have learned that sooner, I may not have as many brushes as I do now.

I think there is far too much emphasis placed on badger brush break-in on this forum. I believe that it exists, but is mostly a subtlety. I wouldn't expect a drastic difference pending break-in.

Are you using enough product? If so, then you may need to spend more time working the lather on your face and use more paint-brush strokes to release it. Best of luck.

No I won't give up on it I'll post an update in a week or so. I'm going to give it more attention. Try some of the tips here . Like I said the density of the knot is amazing and the softness on the face is great. thanks everyone

I have that knot set at 52mm, I always try & load with the brush a little dryer than other knots. The brush holds A LOT of water and if you load with the brush too wet you will generate decent larger quickly but this won't have the legs for 2 - 3 passes.

Its a great knot with a special face feel; mine has hooked tips & feels soft but firm, don't give up! Good luck!

Don't give up on those knots. I have two and they are right up there with my favorites. You will definitely need more product as stated though. Those knots rock.

I have a 28mm Finest F2 TGN knot in a black handle I got off BST
I also have a Whipped dog 24 and a B&B boar. I can't get used to the backbone in the finest.Any suggestions
Should I give up on it?
In my limited experience a 28mm knot is huge. I know because I have a 26mm TGN Silvertip Grade A and it is too big already. It is an exceptional knot but huge. It takes an awful amount of product and it is a lather hog.

Now for the Finest. You will see many more short-loft brushes on BST since there was a trend with them and, in my opinion, the TGN finest is not very comfortable in a brush with a ratio lower than 1:2.2

My suggestion would be to sell it on BST.

I must say that I know very little about brushes.

I think there is far too much emphasis placed on badger brush break-in on this forum. I believe that it exists, but is mostly a subtlety. I wouldn't expect a drastic difference pending break-in.

You know I have a Finest in one of my rubberset 400 brushes (notice that name dropping?) and it was very stingy until I had used it a few weeks, no matter how much lather it made it wouldn't seem to lay it down on my face. I wasn't sure I liked it at first. Now it is great.

Top Bottom