What's new

$250 to spend... build a starter kit for pipe smoking.

Got a blend - sherlocks choice, and dark red.

Have two older Missouri cobs I dug out. Got a new stamper tool.

$14 total

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You could use this thread to start a pipe journal. Take notes on how many lights, flavors, etc. I do this in my iphone notes so that I have a log to refer back to. I started this because I notice cigar smokers have journals sometimes.

The advantage to posting it on this thread would be the experts can pitch in advice.

I'm contemplating giving this a try as well.

Thanks to those that replied so far.

Just curious on what your thoughts on Dr. Grabow pipes are?

Was thinking of getting one of them for a first pipe.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification

Grabow's are great first pipes. I own several and all are decent to great smoking pipes.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Dr. Grabow is a great first briar if you want something that looks a little better than a cob and won't break the bank. I have a Billiard and a Bulldog and there is not a thing wrong with them...unless you get into the snob factor. I do have a Dunhill, but like my Lane era estate Charatans better than the Dunhill. Grabows are easy to pick up at a store, and are classic Americana.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Dr. Grabow is a great first briar if you want something that looks a little better than a cob and won't break the bank. I have a Billiard and a Bulldog and there is not a thing wrong with them...unless you get into the snob factor. I do have a Dunhill, but like my Lane era estate Charatans better than the Dunhill. Grabows are easy to pick up at a store, and are classic Americana.
Nothing worse than snobs. There are cheap pipes that smoke as well as my most expensive. The one thing we share in common is that we enjoy some time to unwind. Whether a pipe is $20 or $200, we should be able to sit down, relax, and enjoy a bowl together.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My "Dunhills" are seconds, sold as Parker London, but work perfectly. I just got lucky in paying £25 each instead of £400 each, due to a couple of insignificant (to me) cosmetic imperfections. However, my most smoked pipe is a Missouri Meerschaum Ozark Cherrywood. It's brilliant! Best £5 I think I ever spent. Everything smokes great in it, from shag to flake. If Santa got drunk, came down my chimney, and nicked all my pipes for a laugh, that Cherrywood would be the first one I replace! Probably followed by one of my cobs.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My "Dunhills" are seconds, sold as Parker London, but work perfectly. I just got lucky in paying £25 each instead of £400 each, due to a couple of insignificant (to me) cosmetic imperfections. However, my most smoked pipe is a Missouri Meerschaum Ozark Cherrywood. It's brilliant! Best £5 I think I ever spent. Everything smokes great in it, from shag to flake. If Santa got drunk, came down my chimney, and nicked all my pipes for a laugh, that Cherrywood would be the first one I replace! Probably followed by one of my cobs.
I’ve had one or two of those cherry wood pipes and they are very good. I’ve never been able to afford a Dunhill. I’ll have to keep an eye out for the Parker brand.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Hey thanks. Good stuff and prices. Like the poker they are out of stock on. Will keep watching.

The first one listed? That's one of the two I've got! Though it's more of a cherrywood than a poker. The other is a smooth panel, which isn't shown on there right now.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose

I have a few Savory’s Argyle and Hardcastle pipes which are also Dunhill seconds. Every bit the smokers my Dunhills are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
The first one listed? That's one of the two I've got! Though it's more of a cherrywood than a poker. The other is a smooth panel, which isn't shown on there right now.
One of my cherry woods was a poker and I think had some of the bark left on it. I also had a Peterson Poker. I really liked that pipe. I will definitely get the Parker when it is back in stock. Hope they have the rough finish one. I had no idea Dunhill sold seconds under another brand name. Seconds are mostly cosmetic as far as I know. Shipping from UK isn’t all that bad either and no VAT.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
One of my cherry woods was a poker and I think had some of the bark left on it. I also had a Peterson Poker. I really liked that pipe. I will definitely get the Parker when it is back in stock. Hope they have the rough finish one. I had no idea Dunhill sold seconds under another brand name. Seconds are mostly cosmetic as far as I know. Shipping from UK isn’t all that bad either and no VAT.

Both mine are fantastic. I genuinely can't fault them for 25 notes. I had a bowlful of Squadron Leader in the Parker cherrywood this evening. Wonderful! After trying to enable you with that site, it backfired and I enabled myself :D so I now have a smooth poker on its way too.

So that's a poker, cherrywood, and square panel from there. I do like sitters. I've always liked the look of horn/zulu pipes, and seen a few bent billiards I liked too, but they won't sit upright without a stand. No good for me, that. I'd rather have a cob, and let the stem rest on my lighter/matches, than have to prat around with a stand.

When my delivery arrives, I'll do a separate thread showing my full array of pipes.

Top Bottom