What's new

$250 to spend... build a starter kit for pipe smoking.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That is a really beautiful piece. You brothers have me wishing I still smoked a pipe. I used pipes to get off the cigs, and it's an entirely different experience, nothing in my life was ever quite so ..... "Zen" , if I'm using the werd korrectly.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Are you brand new to pipe smoking looking to build a kit for yourself? For someone else? I think we need more context.

Do you have to buy tomorrow?

grab a panel billiard Morgan bones pipe with lightning finish, Savinelli series iii unfinished bent brandy, a Missouri meerschaum cob, amphora sampler, three nuns, early morning pipe, nightcap, couple hundred pipe cleaners, a couple tampers, and a pipe lighter zippo.
I think that’s about $250...
This is fun!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Missouri Meerschaum Ozark Cherrywood
Box of matches
Tin of aromatic ribbon cut
Tin of English ribbon cut
Save the rest of the money for the time being.

There's a good chance of wrecking the first pipe with trying too hard to keep the pipe lit. I did, and I know others did the same. Learn how to pack, how to tend the pipe through the smoke, and how not to wreck the pipe.

If the pipe and tongue have survived, and the will is still there, buy a tin of flake. Learn how to smoke that.
Try a couple of other tobaccos too.

Were you clenching or holding in hand? Did you put it down a lot? Was the pipe over too quick, or was the bowl holding enough for more than one sitting? The answers to these will help you choose a briar. Start breaking it in, and start to find your tobacco preferences.

250 beer vouchers should cover most, if not all, of that initial exploration. However, I wouldn't recommend blowing it all right at the outset.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
A good place to start and get some good pipes is getting previously owned ones on eBay. They are already broken in and you can find quality brands on the cheap. Briar pipes can be easily polished to like new condition. I’ve acquired many this way. A couple of my favorite brands are Peterson and GBD

Mike H

Instagram Famous
If I had to start over, I would buy two pipes, a Peterson System pipe (312) and a Savinelli Straight (105 Billiard, or 202 Apple). I would also get pipe cleaners, a tamper, and a lighter (I like a Zippo with a butane pipe lighter insert).

For tobaccos, I would get an aromatic (Lane LL7), a Virginia (Capstan Yellow), a Virginia Perique (Escudo), and a Burley (Haunted Bookshop). You might also try a light English (Proper English), but I know that Latakia is not my thing.

Those are what I like, but everyone is different. Everyone's philosophy on what to get starting out varies as well. Some will recommend purchasing the best briar you can afford, others will say get a cob (which I love, btw). In the end, just follow your heart.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I would recommend grabbing 2-3 pipes to start, a simple "nail" pipe tool (these are like $1, but I prefer them to most more expensive pipe tools), about 5 packs of BJ Long regular pipe cleaners, and 4 or 5 tobaccos. There's so much variation you can put into those items that it really needs to be directed by you and what you want. Drawn to classic shapes like a billiard or canadian? Like the looks of a crazy danish freehand or a big churchwarden? Plan to smoke at home, while walking, while driving, while ? Not sure about any of this and just want to get started? All answers to these questions are totally fine, but it really depends on what you're looking for.

It's quite a bit like getting into wet shaving. The common advice is to start with one razor, one brush, one soap, and a handful of different razor blades and spend the first shaves (1) working on your technique; and (2) working through one variable (razor blades) to find a comfortable shave. Some guys do that. Other guys go out and buy a bunch of stuff and experiment. Everyone gets to the same place though.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If I had to start over, I would buy two pipes, a Peterson System pipe (312) and a Savinelli Straight (105 Billiard, or 202 Apple). I would also get pipe cleaners, a tamper, and a lighter (I like a Zippo with a butane pipe lighter insert).

For tobaccos, I would get an aromatic (Lane LL7), a Virginia (Capstan Yellow), a Virginia Perique (Escudo), and a Burley (Haunted Bookshop). You might also try a light English (Proper English), but I know that Latakia is not my thing.

Those are what I like, but everyone is different. Everyone's philosophy on what to get starting out varies as well. Some will recommend purchasing the best briar you can afford, others will say get a cob (which I love, btw). In the end, just follow your heart.
Escudo, Escudo, Escudo!

When I returned to pipe smoking after a 30+ year hiatus, I was mystified by all the choices of pipes and tobacco available through the internet world of smoking. I had no idea about varieties of tobacco and all the processes that make up blends, so I did a lot of reading on the forums and guessing.
I would suggest a classic Bones from morganpipes.com and one of the larger bowl size Missouri Meerschaum cobs. Those are pipes that smoke well and won't cost a fortune. You can branch out to more expensive pipes if it turns out you like the experience.
Tobaccos are another story; so many out there to try. The Amphora Sampler pack, mentioned above is a good choice to give you an idea how the different types/styles of tobacco smoke and to help you tell the difference. Then you can branch out.
Hirsute is spot on with the pipe nail recommendation. It is my go to tamper as well. Same with the pipe cleaners.
The big thing for me was learning to pack and smoke a pipe adequately, so I didn't fight the smoke and scorch my tongue. It is a learning curve for sure. The goal in packing the pipe is not to see how much tobacco you can stuff in the pipe. I learned that lesson the hard way. Watch some YouTube videos on packing and tamping a pipe, take what they say with a grain of salt, and practice. Don't be worried about a few re-lights and if your tongue starts burning, take a break. Puff lightly and slowly; enjoy the experience.
Save the remainder of the $250 for more tobacco and an additional pipe or two. Then save up more money for the next 50 pipes and pounds of tobacco!
Most of all, have fun!

proxy.php

Got an English blend, and cool smoking aromatic.

Time to get intellectual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
proxy.php

Got an English blend, and cool smoking aromatic.

Time to get intellectual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't leave us hanging, what are the names of the blends?! Hopefully you managed to keep most of your $250...a cob and two tobaccos ought to have run you in the neighborhood of $40 I'd think. Maybe $50 at B&M prices.

Top Bottom