What's new

250 Blue Personna Super (Med/Lab Blades)

Yes that would be helpful. If they come in the same blue wrapper as the Lab/Med blades, there's going to be some scrapping going on out in the yard!

Edit: AH HA...same model # as the ones I got from eBay. They seem to refer to these are barber blades. Crap!

http://www.bowmanbeauty.com/page/BBS/PROD/1-6080/BP9000

I dont know about you guys but these do have info in the model number:

BP9000 means: Barber Personna 9000

I know many barbers have this blades but I am not sure they are the same blades as the Medical Ones. I have still to test both since I only have currently this as well.

I think I have a solution. Let's all send 1 or 2 blades that we have to Steve (SiBurning) and have him put them under the microscope and compare the edges. That should give us a definitive read on the blade.

Steve, if everyone else is on board with this idea would you help us out with that?

I'm thinking the "3rd type" might be these.
Those look like the Lab blades to me.
They are also sold in a 5-blade metal dispenser at this link from the same vendor.
Now, that's interesting! The vendor claims it's the same blade, but it sports yet different markings on the blade. This could be a 3rd type.
Edit: AH HA...same model # as the ones I got from eBay. They seem to refer to these are barber blades. Crap!
http://www.bowmanbeauty.com/page/BBS/PROD/1-6080/BP9000
To me, those look just like the Lab blades.
I dont know about you guys but these do have info in the model number:

BP9000 means: Barber Personna 9000
Wow - are we all confused yet? :blink: Could it be that the Lab Blades == Barber Blades?

Wow - are we all confused yet? :blink: Could it be that the Lab Blades == Barber Blades?

I'm starting to think this very thing. And since someone tested the lab blade and the med blade and found no difference in shave, that would mean they're all the same.

I seriously don't believe that Personna or ASR or any of the factories that make these different blades (if they are different) would package them in the same wrappers unless they shared the same manufacturing specifications. That's just overly confusing, even for the manufacturer. The wrapper is one of the primary ways that DE blades are identified by vendors, if there were several types with the same wrapper, how would you know what you had and what you were selling.

Just a thought.

Jethro,

The pricing is what tells you what you have. All depends on wholesale cost.

Regarding the Lab blade, there is another blade that is coated and no label and is identical to it but no name. Same process and it is cheaper since it has no Personna Label.

It would be nice to see them all in different microscope settings. I know some are oiled, and coated where others are not.

So, it is hard to tell on that part.

Those look like the Lab blades to me.

Now, that's interesting! The vendor claims it's the same blade, but it sports yet different markings on the blade. This could be a 3rd type.

To me, those look just like the Lab blades.

Well, I think I'll eliminate my own confusion by sticking to bulk buys of my beloved Med blades, although I'm a mite tempted to grab one of those 5-packs from Bowman Beauty and a small order of Barbers and Labs from David just to satisfy my curiosity. :001_huh:

I don't think mine are oiled but I haven't really rubbed a new blade to see for sure. I will tell you that once you open the wrapper, you better have it flat or evenly balanced or that sucker will come zinging out (there's NO glue and they don't stick to the paper at all).

I don't think you will know if it is oiled by rubbing it. I believe by the time you get the blade there will be no oil residue or the wrapper would be soiled.

I hope it's ok to reproduce the image here. I received a couple of these from David along with my 10-pack of Medical Personna blades. I think they shave well, but are perhaps a shade less smooth than the hospital-labelled blades.

Reference to the photo....that is NOT what I have. Mine say Personna Super on them and came in the blue wrapper as depicted in the OP.

So for clarification then, the lab blade is the same as the medical prep blade made for hospital use without the sterilazation. Is this right?

So for clarification then, the lab blade is the same as the medical prep blade made for hospital use without the sterilazation. Is this right?

That is what ASR told me originally. The only differnce they said was that the medical blade goes through an extra cleaning process so that they can be used in hospitals. However, they are made in a different facility. Further, when I went to the Personna website I could not find any information about Lab grade blades at the present time.

Hope this helps! :w00t: All I know if that the Lab blades I used from EMS for me shave the same as the medical blades I got from Robbins.

Almost exactly correct, except that the medical prep blades are NOT sterilized. None of the blades is sterile. There is apparently an extra stage in the preparation of the blades, but it is definitely not a sterilization.

I've tried both the lab blades and the med prep blades (thanks ackvil) and to me they feel and shave exactly the same. If you like the med prep blades and can get the lab blades for slightly less coin, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the lab blades.

Almost exactly correct, except that the medical prep blades are NOT sterilized. None of the blades is sterile. There is apparently an extra stage in the preparation of the blades, but it is definitely not a sterilization.

I've tried both the lab blades and the med prep blades (thanks ackvil) and to me they feel and shave exactly the same. If you like the med prep blades and can get the lab blades for slightly less coin, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the lab blades.

I've tried both. They seem the same, to me.

I tried a Med blade today. OUCH! It tugged and pulled like nobody's business for the first 2 passes. The third was better but not great. However, the ATG buffing I do at the end was relatively smooth and left me nearly BBS.

If, with only one shave, had to tell the difference between the two, I would say the lab blades are better.

Top Bottom