What's new

250 Blue Personna Super (Med/Lab Blades)

I'm not really sure how to feel about them. I expected them to be sharper, they didn't seem to slice hair all that well and left quite a bit more than I expected after the first pass. Smoothness wasn't bad though. I think it may have been a bit of a lather issue, it seemed dry for some reason (new brush maybe). I will try them again over the next few days and then compare to a Feather. I may also need to try them in a heavier razor. But, if the Feather wins, I'll either be doing some trading or selling via B/S/T.

Thanks for the update. I've got some coming my way.
I'm a Feather man 100% so I'm curious how these are going to work for me.

Most definitely try different razors with these blades. The blades may work great in one razor while suffering in another. A perfect example is Feather blades. They work great for me (for one shave) in a Tech but not in an adjustable or SS. I use the Personna Reds for the rest of my razors.

Anxiously awaiting your results.....:thumbup:

Second shave with a Med Personna in my Blue Tip. Still lots of stubble left behind after pass one although I did a true "WTG" pass first as opposed to shaving straight down. I have no burn at all right now so they are certainly smooth, but they don't slice whiskers as well as I hoped. This could be due to crappy lathering that is just not softening the hair or it could be that my wiry hairs just need something sharper. I certainly didn't get a DFS everywhere today but in some places, I did. My chin is still rough, my jawline is still rough, almost everything else is as close as I dare take it lest I get more ingrowns.

Testing to continue tomorrow though I might need a new blade already.

I wouldn't mind testing these in a 34c, although I do not have one.

4th shave was earlier this morning. Seemed as though perhaps it's getting a big rough so I'm not sure if I'll try a 5th or not. I might replace it for safety's sake.

If I look very closely at the blade edge, even with the naked eye, i'm pretty sure I can spot damage to it so I think it's worn out.

I have had some blue wrapped Personnas for some time now. I'm not sure if they are the same blade as the 250 pack, especially if I recall someone mentioned that the medical blades come in the same wrapper.

When I first used them I thought they were great blades. Then I put them away and went back to them later. Then I thought they were pretty dull. Problem is that I don't remember which razor in which I first used them and I think the razor and blade combination is really what makes a blade sine or fail.

...and I think the razor and blade combination is really what makes a blade sine or fail.

+1. The Personna Meds are wonderful in my HD, and judging from other member posts they seem best in a medium-to-aggressive razor handle. Open that adjustable up wide!

I'm not really sure how to feel about them. I expected them to be sharper, they didn't seem to slice hair all that well and left quite a bit more than I expected after the first pass.

The "Hospital Use" blades that I bought from Robbins are very sharp for me.
I haven't tried the other blue wrapped blades so I can't compare.
But, have you seen this post:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2415584&postcount=32

If you want a few Hospital blades to compare PM me and I will send you some.

I had not seen that post. They have the same markings and wrapper though...how could they be different?

Yes...I'd like a few to compare...ill PM my address when I get home.

In regards to a more aggressive razor I had a WTB for a HD and got a few offers but I think I'd actually prefer a Progress so I can test blades more easily. There is a WTB on it now if anyone knows of a good place to get one for cheap.

There must be three kinds then. Mine say SUPER.

I have some Hospital too.

I am pretty sure from trying them both head to head that the SUPER lab blades are on par with the Hospital ones.

I can't complain. I got a case for cheap and love how smooth they are. Even if they only last two or three shave it's still a great value.

For me it's like a Feather on the second shave every time. Or a Kai that's been corked.

I like them.

See my post here.

There are two different blades: the medical grade Persona blades which are meant for hospital use and the lab grade blades. However, for shaving purposes they are identical. There is also the Super Blades. My comments are limited to the medical grade blades and lab grade blades.

I wrote to ASR, the parent of Persona at that time, and they told me that the medical blades are made by their medical division and go through an extra cleansing step to make them suitable for hospital use. The Lab Grade blades are made from the same process but are made by the Industrial Division.

The rep from the medical division said that the blades were meant for hospital use but she said "they could be used for every day shaving." However, she confirmed that the extra cleansing process should have no impact on the way they shaved.

The medical blades can be purchased from Robbins Interestingly, Robbins is now selling them in lots of 100 or 250, at a cost of $25 and $55 respectively, plus shipping. There are a few sources for the lab grade blades and one of them is EMS. The EMS blades are $44 for 250 plus shipping.

I have a very thick, curly beard that grows very fast. I also have sensitive skin that is prone to irritation on my neck area. As some of you may know, both of these blades are among my favorite blades. They may not be as sharp as the Feather blades - but for me they are far smoother and last much longer. I am willing to do a four pass shave and get a BBS shave with zero irritation, cuts, or nicks - which I get from these blades - rather than use a sharper blade. In fact, these are the ONLY blade so far that has given me six to seven shaves without any irritation.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Jim...when you say "Super" blades, which ones are you referring to?

We need a pic here unless all 3 blades come in the same wrapper. Mine do not say "For Hospital Use" but they come wrapped in a blue Personna wrapper that is the same as the photo on the EMS website. So I assume they are the Lab blades.

If they are all wrapped the same, and the labs and supers both say SUPER on the wrapper and blade, how do you know the difference when you order them?

AFAIK there are only 2 different kinds. They both sport the same wrapper. The Medical blades say "For Hospital Use" on them and the Lab blades say "Super" on them.

Where did the idea of a third type come from? What did I miss? EMWTK! :001_smile

AFAIK there are only 2 different kinds. They both sport the same wrapper. The Medical blades say "For Hospital Use" on them and the Lab blades say "Super" on them.

Where did the idea of a third type come from? What did I miss? EMWTK! :001_smile

I'm thinking the "3rd type" might be these. They are also sold in a 5-blade metal dispenser at this link from the same vendor. Clearly, the metal-dispenser type is marked differently, since it has the arrows indicating the slide direction for dispensing the blades, but the wrapper and the blade markings on the bulk pack seem identical to the Lab blades. The vendor also claims these are made in the USA, as the Med/Lab blades are. If they truly are different somehow, this is going to get very confusing. The pricing seems in the same ballpark. They don't seem the same as the "barber personnas" on sale at David's razorbladesandmore.com web store, which come with a plain white wrapper in his pictures (no picture of the barber-type's blade marking is included, unfortunately).

I personally believe he is thinking of the original Israeli Personna's. They come in a white wrapper with blue dots and say Super Platinum on them.

proxy.php

Jethro, did your box of 250 come from bestgroomingtools.com? If not, where did you get them? (Sorry if you've already mentioned this somewhere in the thread.)

P.S. I see you said "the Bay," any particular seller?

Last edited:
Jethro, did your box of 250 come from bestgroomingtools.com? If not, where did you get them? (Sorry if you've already mentioned this somewhere in the thread.)

I got them from the Bay so it is probably next to impossible to track down the origin short, of course, of asking the seller who might not give up the supplier.

The seller was "ebeautycenter"

Man00ver,

The barber blades look like the Tesco Blades in the Israeli Guide 1st page that come in white wrapping. These blades also come in 250bulk and in the same package as the Lab Blades. These barber personnas are intended for Barbershops. I think these blades are also sharp and smooth. This remind me so much of the Personna Dispenser of 10 pcs in red and black packing.

I will see if I can take a picture of these and post ;).

Man00ver,

The barber blades look like the Tesco Blades in the Israeli Guide 1st page that come in white wrapping. These blades also come in 250bulk and in the same package as the Lab Blades. These barber personnas are intended for Barbershops. I think these blades are also sharp and smooth. This remind me so much of the Personna Dispenser of 10 pcs in red and black packing.

I will see if I can take a picture of these and post ;).

Yes that would be helpful. If they come in the same blue wrapper as the Lab/Med blades, there's going to be some scrapping going on out in the yard!

Edit: AH HA...same model # as the ones I got from eBay. They seem to refer to these are barber blades. Crap!

http://www.bowmanbeauty.com/page/BBS/PROD/1-6080/BP9000

Last edited:
Jim...when you say "Super" blades, which ones are you referring to?

We need a pic here unless all 3 blades come in the same wrapper. Mine do not say "For Hospital Use" but they come wrapped in a blue Personna wrapper that is the same as the photo on the EMS website. So I assume they are the Lab blades.

If they are all wrapped the same, and the labs and supers both say SUPER on the wrapper and blade, how do you know the difference when you order them?

I can understand your confusion. All of the blades from the wrapper look the same. The only difference is that the actual medical blade has written on the blade itself "For Hosptial Use." Here is what the Medical Prep Blade looks like. View attachment 141702 However, before you unwrap the blade you would see no distinction in the packaging.

Here is the regular non-medical, lab blade. View attachment 141701

The blades from EMS do not contain any mention of hoptial use.

To add further to the confusion, some suppliers are selling the blades for shaving and just call them Super. However, if you go to the Persona website and look under shaving you will find none of these - only the medical blades under the medical division website.

:w00t:

Top Bottom