What's new

25 things about to become extinct in america

You should try working at a movie theater. If you think people are rude when you are a guest, wait until you are an employee.
Yeah, people act as if you providing a service for them somehow makes them better than you.
Even before I was a cop, I'd say what was on everyone else's mind, namely, "Be quiet." One of the more memorable times was when we had a VERY rude bunch come in, talking loud for a normal situation, let alone a theater. One guy must have had 40 keys on his belt, from the sound of it. He even used the back of my friend's chair to get up out of his(snapping him back while doing so) and jingle all de vay down the aisle. After a while of listening to nonsense I said,"If we want to hear a running commentary, we'll buy the DVD. Please be quiet." We had silence for the rest of the movie.

Yeah, people act as if you providing a service for them somehow makes them better than you.
Even before I was a cop, I'd say what was on everyone else's mind, namely, "Be quiet." One of the more memorable times was when we had a VERY rude bunch come in, talking loud for a normal situation, let alone a theater. One guy must have had 40 keys on his belt, from the sound of it. He even used the back of my friend's chair to get up out of his(snapping him back while doing so) and jingle all de vay down the aisle. After a while of listening to nonsense I said,"If we want to hear a running commentary, we'll buy the DVD. Please be quiet." We had silence for the rest of the movie.

Yup, the only time people shut up is when our cop goes in there. Two guys actually got into a fight the other day because one would not be quiet. I am just waiting for the day that one tries to screw around with out 6'5" cop.

17. Ash Trees
In the late 1990's, a pretty, iridescent green species of beetle,
now known as the emerald ash borer, hitched a ride to North
America with ash wood products imported from eastern Asia .. In less
than a decade, its larvae have killed millions of trees in the
Midwest , and continue to spread. They've killed more than 30
million ash trees in southeastern Michigan alone, with tens of
millions more lost in Ohio and Indiana . More than 7.5 billion ash
trees are currently at risk.

- Tom Paciorek, a former announcer for the Chicago White Sox, called this one several years ago. Whenever someone broke a bat he exclaimed that it is getting harder and harder to find a good piece of ash.

Saddening? I see nothing on there that is relevant or that technology has not beaten.

I do not think HAM Radio will go away as long as there are hurricanes, ice storms and things like that. My HT is in my pack when I hit the trail because I know my network won't be where I am going. Of course I am relying on a repeater. As far as bees if they go we might not bee very far behind. I wonder how much a pollinators job would pay. Or we could make a nano tech pollination device?

L

Lo'Tek

If "video killed the radio star",

then - MP3 is killing the Audiophile.

My status with all this:

25. U.S. Post Office - I still use the USPS on a monthly basis, though much less than a year ago when I began transitioning most of my bills over to online payments.

24. Yellow Pages - Yellow what? Haven't used the Yellow Pages in almost a decade, even though their door stops continue to be delivered to us.

23. Classified Ads - Haven't used the classifieds in about 5 years.

22. Movie Rental Stores - The local video store recently shuttered it's doors after 25 years and there isn't another available within 15 miles of us. Netflix put him out of business.

21. Dial-up Internet Access - We were early adopters of DSL and have never looked back.

20. Phone Land Lines - Just got rid of our land line in the past 6 months. Feels weird not to have one.

19. Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs - Having lived in the Bay region since the mid-1970s, this one really hurts. Earlier in the summer we were stunned to see a bushel of #1 males going for $315 (see photo below). Too rich for our blood.

18. VCRs - Got rid of ours years ago.

17. Ash Trees - Didn't know anything about this until a few months when we first noticed hundreds of purple sticky traps strung up in local trees by the state.

16. Ham Radio - Don't know of a single ham operator anymore and only see their license plates infrequently.

15 The Swimming Hole - All gone around here. Most of the local lakes are now "fresh water reservoirs" and forbid swimming as well.

14. Answering Machines - Got rid of ours when we stopped the land line service 6 months ago.

13. Cameras That Use Film - Got rid of my film cameras when I could get better results with digital, about 8 years ago.

12. Incandescent Bulbs - Switched over to compact fluorescent bulbs almost 20 years ago and never looked back. Will switch to LED bulbs when the price becomes affordable.

11. Stand-Alone Bowling Alleys - My last bowling experience was over 20 years ago.

10. The Milkman - We had milk being delivered to our house as recently as a few years ago, until the cost became too prohibitive. Sure miss it, though.

9. Hand-Written Letters - I still write letters to friends and family with a fountain pen, though not with the regularity that I once did.

8. Wild Horses - Still have a stable herd of them on Assateague Island here in Maryland, but I haven't seen any out in the western states since I was a kid.

7. Personal Checks - I wrote 3 checks last month, only to the businesses that didn't have an online payment process.

6. Drive-in Theaters - Used to love these as a kid, but haven't seen one since I was in high school.

5. Mumps & Measles - Remember my brother getting the mumps when I was kid, but I have a natural immunity to them.

4. Honey Bees - Not sure what to make of this. We've noticed the honey bee populations plummet in our area, but the local fruits and vegetables that require pollination haven't seemed to suffer from their decline. Odd.

3. News Magazines and TV News - Haven't watched the evening news in close to 10 years and stopped getting the major news magazines about 5 years ago. Still listen to news radio though.

2. Analog TV - Switched over to satellite service 15 years ago.

1. The Family Farm - We still buy local produce from local family farmers. Here in our area they seem to be generating more business than in the past.

Whoa wait! There are still milkmen that deliver to your home?:eek: Seriously? Where? That would be awesome!!!:w00t:

Top Bottom