What's new

$25 Double Ring?

I'm hoping I stumbled across an authentic Gillette Double Ring. It is stamped with the number 102459. There is writing on the handle where the patent stamp is located but it is very hard to make out. There are no cracks in the handle where some have been known to crack or split. I appreciate any info. Would you attempt to restore or polish it and if so, how? For $25 it was worth a shot.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thats a phenomenal find for $25. Given the box and everything appears period correct on the face (I’m no expert so I don’t know for sure) I may wouldn’t jump to polishing and keep the weathered look. I WOULD absolutely clean it as best I could with soap, water, and a stiff bristled nylon or even a copper (not bronze or brass) brush. See what you have after cleaning it up mildly first. The patina will still likely be too dark for many people’s taste but it’s worth looking at it first. That’s my advice anyway.

Edit: I just looked again. That patina goes great with the box 😍

Nice!

Aren't these things sterling silver? If so, you should try the aluminum foil/baking soda/hot water trick (Google it). You can do it two or three times and see what you are left with before you go to any actual physical polishing.

Looks like the real deal, though.

R

romsitsa

Really nice. The serial is 1905, Gillette moved out from 394 Atlantic on 1st April 1905, but I thought blade exchange (envelope in box) stopped in 1904?

Congratulations, I stumbled upon a misidentified one on auction a while back.

Looks like a lot of your silver is still intact. I wouldn’t buff it or polish, just clean with some Dawn and a toothbrush and avoid polishes. If you don’t like the patina, use the baking soda aluminum foil method after cleanup.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Congrats on a great find! I'm on the side of gently cleaning it, but leaving it as original as possible. But, really, whatever makes you happy.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Really nice. The serial is 1905, Gillette moved out from 394 Atlantic on 1st April 1905, but I thought blade exchange (envelope in box) stopped in 1904?

I have seen a couple other 1905 sets with the envelope. Maybe they just never got taken out of the cases when razors were added?

R

romsitsa

I have seen a couple other 1905 sets with the envelope. Maybe they just never got taken out of the cases when razors were added?

I could be perfectly wrong and resharpening could lasted longer, into 1905. Gillette got rid of resharpening as soon as possible (serious quality issues), so I don't think they left envelopes in the sets after service was cancelled.

Quite a find, especially with the original case and blade banks. Thanks for sharing the photos. Your choice, of course, but I agree with other replies which recommend keeping the patina.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I could be perfectly wrong and resharpening could lasted longer, into 1905. Gillette got rid of resharpening as soon as possible (serious quality issues), so I don't think they left envelopes in the sets after service was cancelled.

Either way I wish my set had the envelope.

Just found this guy yesterday, it also has the blade return envelope and is from 1905, serial number 82232.

Makes sense that the blade sharpening service would be discontinued, I can't imagine it would be sanitary either? Who knows, maybe you were getting someone else's blades??
IMG_6061.jpg

Mine was sub $25, Yeay US!

Top Bottom