What's new

24x68 or 28x70 Boar Knot?

24x68 or 28x70 Boar Knot

• Total voters
I am planning to re-knot a handle I have after the first of the year. I like the handle but have found that I'm not crazy about badger, I much prefer boar and synth. I already have 2 synths and an Omega 10098 Pro Boar so i will be getting a boar knot to make a second boar.

Both of these knots are from Shave Forge so I just need some advice on which one I should get. I want something close to the 10098 which is 27x65 but the handle is already drilled for a 24mm knot which is what it has in it now.

Can any of y'all that like boars maybe tell me what you perceive as the difference in a 24mm boar and one larger?

I also face lather more than I use my scuttle. I generally only use my scuttle on cold days. I also use harder soaps (Wiiliams, etc.) and Artisan soaps (TASS which is the same consistency as Stirling poured bowls.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Brian C.

I prefer smaller knots so I voted for the 24mm.

But this is going to be your brush so pick what will make you happiest!

If I were to get a 24mm boar, I would like it to be with a lot less loft. Maybe 55mm loft at most. 24X68 will feel quite floppy given my experience. I think 28X70 has a much better balance in terms of feel and backbone and I don't mind the big splay.

How deep is the bore for the knot? If it's the usual 15mm either one should be ok. How do you feel about opening up the handle to ~30mm? Is there enough meat to do that?

Do you care to post a pic of the handle just for kicks if you have one?

How deep is the bore for the knot? If it's the usual 15mm either one should be ok. How do you feel about opening up the handle to ~30mm? Is there enough meat to do that?

Do you care to post a pic of the handle just for kicks if you have one?

I don’t have any problems opening it up to 30mm. That’s kinda what I was guessing for the 28mm knot.

I know I could get the closest to the omega size with the 28 but just don’t really know how the 24 would be. I know it would be a shorter loft than what I have and I can open the handle to 26mm and set the loft on it to maintain backbone but I know it wouldn’t splay like the 28 would.

I can also make the bore as deep as needed so that’s no issue.

proxy.php

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Last edited:
Very cool! So you can build whatever you like. Face latherer and my preference is for smaller knots. I'd go 24mm and be done with it.

However, boar knots are cheap enough you could buy both. Go with the 24mm first and if you didn't get along with it yank out the 24mm, bore out the handle and stuff the 28mm in there. Either way you have an extra knot on hand and an excuse for another brush!

Very cool! So you can build whatever you like. Face latherer and my preference is for smaller knots. I'd go 24mm and be done with it.

However, boar knots are cheap enough you could buy both. Go with the 24mm first and if you didn't get along with it yank out the 24mm, bore out the handle and stuff the 28mm in there. Either way you have an extra knot on hand and an excuse for another brush!

You must be a member of the enablers club. Lol.

I have considered that but once I bore out for the 28, there’s no going back to the 24.

The 24x68 would be closest to an Omega 10049 Pro. Who uses one of these and what are your thoughts on it?

I steamed the badger knot out this morning as I was bored. I wanted to make sure I could get it out without issues before next month when I get a new boar knot for it. I have decided to do with the 24mm x 68mm just to have a somewhat smaller boar than the Omega 10098. I'm hoping the current depth of the bore will work perfectly but I have no issues modifying it if needed.

Now just to wait on the sabbatical to be finished. :)

There wasn't any damage to the handle and the badger knot even seems reusable as well.

IMG_4358.jpgIMG_4415.jpg

The 24x68 would be closest to an Omega 10049 Pro. Who uses one of these and what are your thoughts on it?
I actually have 2 they are my favorite knots. Once broken in properly they are fantastic and using them to re-knot custom handles is easy. Plenty of backbone for hard puck soaps and fantastic face lather knots!
15764212706995990544616214367871.jpg

I actually have 2 they are my favorite knots. Once broken in properly they are fantastic and using them to re-knot custom handles is easy. Plenty of backbone for hard puck soaps and fantastic face lather knots!View attachment 1043805

Those are very nice brushes. I really like the brass one.

I am planning to re-knot a handle I have after the first of the year. I like the handle but have found that I'm not crazy about badger, I much prefer boar and synth. I already have 2 synths and an Omega 10098 Pro Boar so i will be getting a boar knot to make a second boar.

Both of these knots are from Shave Forge so I just need some advice on which one I should get. I want something close to the 10098 which is 27x65 but the handle is already drilled for a 24mm knot which is what it has in it now.

Can any of y'all that like boars maybe tell me what you perceive as the difference in a 24mm boar and one larger?

I also face lather more than I use my scuttle. I generally only use my scuttle on cold days. I also use harder soaps (Wiiliams, etc.) and Artisan soaps (TASS which is the same consistency as Stirling poured bowls.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Brian C.

I'd stay out of this, but you mentioned Williams.

In my opinion, the trend towards big knots is another way to say "my thing is bigger than your thing." It has nothing to do with performance. The Cremo Horsehair brush is 20 or 21 mm. I can load the brush with Williams in about 10-15 seconds for face lathering. I can get slick lather in about a minute. Cushioning lather in about 90 seconds. The best lather comes when you can see soap throughout the hair. A big brush results in a lot of waste.

I don't like light colored bristles because you can't see how much soap is loaded.

I'd stay out of this, but you mentioned Williams.

In my opinion, the trend towards big knots is another way to say "my thing is bigger than your thing." It has nothing to do with performance. The Cremo Horsehair brush is 20 or 21 mm. I can load the brush with Williams in about 10-15 seconds for face lathering. I can get slick lather in about a minute. Cushioning lather in about 90 seconds. The best lather comes when you can see soap throughout the hair. A big brush results in a lot of waste.

I don't like light colored bristles because you can't see how much soap is loaded.

Can’t argue or disagree with this, but I don’t really worry about how much soap I use. I generally don’t use more than necessary and don’t send much down the drain.

I don’t care for badgers because they are too soft. I really like the scritch and scruff of boats and synths. All of my synths have black knots but all of my boars are or will be white. I haven’t seen very many dark boar knots.

I thought about trying a horse hair but I read they gave a tendency to tangle and I want the least amount of maintenance.

I haven’t seen very many dark boar knots.
If you haven't seen them, Zenith has several brushes using unbleached boar knots. Some of them look quite dark. A few members here have reported that the unbleached knots feel and lather better than the bleached knots.

@GaryTha, my synths actually lather my Williams better than any of the others.
I agree. I've found that synthetics are pretty much foolproof with any soap or cream.

@GaryTha, my synths actually lather my Williams better than any of the others.

Badgers are ok I have 3, synths I had to try and only have one I dont care for them, boar I have 5 to include a travel size they all workgreat for me, it's a brush for Pete's sake lol! But you can keep the plastic stuff my synth knotted custom 6160 Ali handle sits on the shelf gathering dust with the Badgers for company. Boar is King for me regardless of which soap... Badgers are gready lather whoops almost used an obscenity... synths are plastic wannabes...Boar is KING... ANYWAY we all March to a different beat enjoy whatever you like!!!! Happy shaves !!!

I like the combo of big boar brushes and face lathering, it works best with a shorter loft, IMHO. I have a Zenith 26x57 that is a nice size. I have an Omega 49 that is 27x59. Much loftier than that, it seems they begin to get too floppy.

If I were going to reset the Omega 49 in a nicer handle, I'd like to set it deep, similar to the Omega jade 27x52.

jade-boar-1.jpgzenith-b03-a26.jpg

Top Bottom