What's new

24mm Best Badger from TGN in H40

Every Ready H40 Restore with a 24mm Finest from The Golden Nib fixed with Clear Silicone II from GE. But do not use if you are in California;
Walmart said:
WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including [name of one or more chemicals] which is [are] known to the State of California to cause reproductive harm.
I let the silicone set and cure for 36 hours before use. This morning I soaked the brush in hot water while showering. I shook the knot dry and lathered it with a watered-down mixture of Lemon-Lime ToOBS to help "clean and de-funk" the brush before it's maiden voyage.
Totally worked by the way. Not my favorite scent, but I will try it on a particularly funky Boar that I have.
The brush looked great and ready for action.
IMG_2369.JPG

TGN hails this knot as
TGN said:
Nice soft bristles slightly stiffer bristles than silvertip badger Densely packed, whips up a great lather with soaps or creams.

Loaded the mug...went to work on it...actually poured water out and added a little more cream while lathering it up, but it whipped the cream up nicely. Held enough for 2-passes with plenty left over...
IMG_1955.JPG IMG_4208.JPG IMG_2213.JPG IMG_1444.JPG IMG_1127.JPG

The knot is not floppy. It exfoliates well, without be "scratchy". I would not say it is as soft as my Maggard Razors Synthetic. The $7.95 20mm Maggard Razor B&W might be my best performer. This knot, brand-new, has a little more scritch than My Duke 1, but certainly gentler than any of my Boars or blends. I could be that it simply has a sturdy backbone.

The dry Bloom is unofficially 52mm.
The Loft is set at 46mm.
It opens up to about 90mm.
For the handle, The Opening is 25.26mm.

The handle is loaded with a wine cork. The cork was fixed to the base of the handle with the silicone and allowed to cure before locking the knot in place with the silicone.

I hope this is helpful. And @CigarSmoka, I am using the little guy, my 16mm Finest from TGN tomorrow. But, it is small and I am not sure what expectations to have.
IMG_9434.JPG IMG_3571.JPG

Thanks for the review. I might actually like my 22mm TGN finest more than my 24mm. They tend to be a bit of a lather hog so I have to load them up to get a good release. It seems the smaller they get, the better the release, or at least it doesn’t take as much soap/cream to get them loaded well. You might be surprised at just how good that little 16mm will perform. I’m guessing it won’t be nearly the hog that the 22mm+ knots are. They have excellent backbone but I’ve noticed after using them in a weekly rotation that after about a year the backbone eases up a lot and they splay a lot more, especially the fan shaped knots, which helps the release but at the cost of scrubbiness/exfoliation. Regardless, they’re a great knot for the money.

As much as I hate to admit it, the black synth is a great knot. It hasn’t lost any backbone and is still one of the softest feeling knots I’ve tried. I don’t like how wet lather always runs down the handle and my arm, or gets flung all over with the initial lathering, but it’s a solid performer and the only synth I’ve bothered to keep. I haven’t tried the b/w or tuxedo synths yet so I can’t comment on them.

As much as I hate to admit it, the black synth is a great knot. It hasn’t lost any backbone and is still one of the softest feeling knots I’ve tried. I don’t like how wet lather always runs down the handle and my arm, or gets flung all over with the initial lathering, but it’s a solid performer and the only synth I’ve bothered to keep. I haven’t tried the b/w or tuxedo synths yet so I can’t comment on them.

Won't these effectively perform at the same level and in the same way?

@REV579 - I don’t know to be honest. I made a brush for my brother with a Maggard’s b/w synth and it seemed that it had more natural bloom to it, as in the top is wider when new than the Gamechanger synth I have. The real tuxedo, which I believe is the one Maggard carries is made by the same manufacturer in China as my black synth, so it’s possible the fibers are the same which would mean they should have similar characteristics, although that can be changed by both the loft and the width of the hole it’s set into.

Very well done, TGN knots are very consistent. I am with CigarSmoka regarding the quality of the finest knots; my TGN 22mm Finest has become my daily/favorite knot.

Top Bottom