What's new

23 Cocktails of the 1960s

Bloody Mary

proxy.php

For all late night roamers and early risers. The celery stalk lends an air of healthy respectability to this potent breakfast drink.
INGREDIENTS
1½ oz vodka
2 dashes Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp horseradish
Tomato or Clamato juice
4 dashes Tabasco sauce
Celery salt
Fresh ground pepper
Salt

INSTRUCTIONS
Put all ingredients in mixing glass, shake briskly. Pour into pint glass over ice. Add a celery branch to garnish.

Blue Hawaiian

proxy.php

With its pineapple garnish and tropical blue coloring, the blue Hawaiian was part of the Hawaiian craze in the sixties.
INGREDIENTS
1 oz blue Caracao
1 oz light rum
1 oz cream of coconut
2 oz pineapple juice
1 cherry
1 slice of pineapple
1 cup of ice

INSTRUCTIONS
Put all ingredients into blender, blend. Pour into highball glass. Add a cherry and pineapple to garnish.

Brandy Alexander

proxy.php

A creamy concoction with a nutty flavor for fans of White Russians and Panamas.
INGREDIENTS
¾ oz cream
¾ oz brandy
¾ oz dark crème de cacao
Nutmeg

INSTRUCTIONS
Pour the liquors and cream into a mixing glass. Shake and pour in martini glass. Garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg on top.

Classic Martini

proxy.php

The quintessential '60s cocktail that crossed the gender line.
INGREDIENTS
2½ oz vodka
1½ oz dry vermouth
3 Green Olives

INSTRUCTIONS
Rinse martini glass in dry vermouth and pour out. Shake vodka with ice until chilled. Pour into martini glass, add olives.

Dirty Martini

proxy.php

Extra olive juice makes this drink saltier than a sailor's limerick.
INGREDIENTS
2½ oz vodka
1½ oz dry vermouth
½ oz olive juice
3-4 green olives, stuffed with blue cheese

INSTRUCTIONS
Add dry vermouth to the martini glass, rinse and pour out. Pour vodka, olive juice and ice into mixing glass and shake until chilled. Strain in the martini glass and drop the 3 to 4 olives as garnish.

Gibson Martini

proxy.php

An apocryphal legend credits graphic artist Charles Dana Gibson for replacing the olive with pickled onions.
INGREDIENTS
2½ oz of gin or vodka
¾ oz dry vermouth
3-5 cocktail onions

INSTRUCTIONS
Stir gin or vodka and vermouth on ice in mixing glass. Strain into martini glass and add cocktail onions.

Greyhound

proxy.php

A tangier take on the screwdriver, grapefruit, not orange juice, gives it the extra kick.
INGREDIENTS
2 oz vodka
5 oz grapefruit juice

INSTRUCTIONS
Pour vodka and grapefruit juice on top of the ice in a cocktail glass. Stir well.

The Harpoon

proxy.php

This precursor of the Cosmopolitan switches out bottled lime juice for the fresh-squeezed variety.
INGREDIENTS
1½ oz vodka
½ oz orange liquor
¼ oz lime juice
Dash of cranberry juice
Slice of lime

INSTRUCTIONS
Add dash of cranberry juice, pour liquors and lime juice into mixing glass. Shake briskly and pour into Martini Glass. Add slice of lime to garnish.

Manhattan

proxy.php

Don't be fooled by the playful cherry; this potent potable demands to be taken seriously.
INGREDIENTS
1¾ oz bourbon
¾ oz of sweet vermouth
1 dash of aromatic bitters
1 maraschino cherry

INSTRUCTIONS
Pour bitters, liquors over ice in mixing glass. Stir and strain into martini glass, garnish with a maraschino cherry.

Mint Julep

proxy.php

Long beloved by Southern aristocrats, it wouldn't be Derby Day without it.
INGREDIENTS
2 oz bourbon
8 sprigs of mint
1 tsp of sugar

INSTRUCTIONS
Put mint and sugar with a dash of water in mixing glass. Add shaved ice and bourbon. Shake until frosted and pour all into rocks glass. Garnish with a mint sprig.

Moscow Mule

proxy.php

Invented to popularize vodka in the U.S., ginger beer and lime evoke the flavors of the tropics rather than the tsars.
INGREDIENTS
1¼ oz vodka
3 oz ginger beer
1 tsp sugar syrup
¼ oz lime juice
1 sprig mint
1 slice lime

INSTRUCTIONS
In a copper mug or cocktail glass, pour vodka over ice. Add sugar syrup and lime juice. Top with ginger beer and stir. Garnish with mint sprig

Old Fashioned

proxy.php

This mix of citrus, bitters and rye remains potently modern to this day.
INGREDIENTS
2 dashes aromatic bitters
½ tsp sugar dissolved with water and bitters
1½ oz of bourbon
1 cherry
1 orange slice
1 lemon wedge

INSTRUCTIONS
Fill glass with ice. Add cherry, orange slice and lemon wedge. Pour in bourbon. Serve in a rocks glass over ice.

Pink Squirrel

proxy.php

Almond and vanilla currents distinguish this cocktail's signature taste.
INGREDIENTS
¾ oz crème de noyaux
¾ oz crème de cacao
½ oz vodka
1 oz fresh cream

INSTRUCTIONS
Pour all over ice in mixing glass. Stir and serve in martini glass.

Sambuca con Mosca

proxy.php

The drink’s espresso beans represent health, wealth, and happiness.
INGREDIENTS
2 oz sambuca
3 coffee beans

INSTRUCTIONS
Pour sambuca into brandy snifter. Float three coffee beans.

San Martin

proxy.php

Called both the San Martin and Sand Martin, this drink with two names comes to us by way of South America.
INGREDIENTS
1½ oz gin
1½ oz sweet vermouth
1/2½ oz sweet vermouth

INSTRUCTIONS
Put all ingredients with ice in mixing glass, shake briskly. Strain into cocktail glass. Garnish with lemon slice.

Screwdriver

proxy.php

Orange juice and vodka isn't just a '60s sensation. It's timeless.
INGREDIENTS
2 oz vodka
Fresh squeezed orange juice
Orange wedge

INSTRUCTIONS
Pour vodka and fresh orange juice into cocktail glass and stir. Add orange wedge.

Sidecar

proxy.php

If apple brandy is used instead of cognac, it becomes an applecart.
INGREDIENTS
1½ oz cognac
¾ oz triple sec
¾ oz fresh lemon juice
1 orange slice

INSTRUCTIONS
Put all ingredients and squeeze lemon in mixing glass, shake briskly. Select sugar-rimmed snifter. Strain into glass and garnish with orange slice.

Sloe Gin Fizz

proxy.php

Many versions of the drink call for the use of egg white to produce a creamy head to the shaken drink.
INGREDIENTS
2 oz vodka
½ oz of fresh lemon juice
½ tsp sugar

INSTRUCTIONS
Put all ingredients in cocktail shaker, shake briskly. Pour it into a chilled highball glass. Fill the glass with soda water and stir lightly.

Stinger

proxy.php

Don't use green crème de menthe. White is the way to go.
INGREDIENTS
1 oz cognac
1 oz crème de menthe

INSTRUCTIONS
Put all ingredients in mixing glass, shake briskly. Select brandy snifter. Pour into glass.

Tom Collins

proxy.php

The perfect antidote to a hot summer day, this lively drink gets its kick from lemon juice then tempers it with sugar.
INGREDIENTS
1 oz fresh lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
1½ oz of gin
Lemon slices

INSTRUCTIONS
Mix sugar, gin and juice over ice in mixing glass, Stir, strain in cocktail glass, with ice and top it off with soda water. Garnish with lemon slices.

Vodka Gimlet

proxy.php

This tasty cocktail was Norma Desmond's drink of choice. A wedge of lime sharpens it even more.
INGREDIENTS
1½ oz vodka
¾ oz lime juice
3-4 lime slices

INSTRUCTIONS
Pour Stoli and lime juice into mixing glass, shake and strain into martini glass. Add 3 to 4 slices of lime.

Whiskey Sour

proxy.php

The whiskey sour is one of the oldest cocktails still in circulation and may be the first ever example of a sour drink.
INGREDIENTS
2 oz whiskey
½ oz fresh lemon juice
½ oz tsp sugar
1 cherry
½ lemon slice

INSTRUCTIONS
Put all ingredients in mixing glass and add ice cubes. Strain into highball glass. Add lemon slice and cherry to garnish.

White Russian

proxy.php

A sweet and creamy drink so popular, it survived the anti-Soviet tensions of the Cold War
INGREDIENTS
1 oz vodka
½ oz coffee liquor
1 oz heavy cream

INSTRUCTIONS
Pour vodka, coffee liquor and heavy cream into cocktail glass. Stir well.

Very nice, I used to tend bar back in the 80's in a restaurant that had an older cliental. I made all of these. I would add the Rob Roy, and the Sidecar.

Most of these listed ARE from the 20's 30's and 40's. They were very popular in the 60's. Most cocktails are from prohibition, when liquor quality was at best uneven, the cocktails hid the rougher qualities.

Why did you not include the Black Russian along with the White Russian? Like a white Russian but without the cream.

Great post even so.

I feel like I'm in a fern bar...

Actually, these are all good drinks. For the greyhound, swap out the vodka with gin and salt the rim (you can call it a Salty Dog at this point) and you'll be much happier.

I had a Moscow mule just the other day, the copper mug always gives them that certain tang. If only they were making them with ginger beer rather than ale, unfortunately just about every bar in the USA uses the latter...

I feel like I'm in a fern bar...

Actually, these are all good drinks. For the greyhound, swap out the vodka with gin and salt the rim (you can call it a Salty Dog at this point) and you'll be much happier.

I had a Moscow mule just the other day, the copper mug always gives them that certain tang. If only they were making them with ginger beer rather than ale, unfortunately just about every bar in the USA uses the latter...

Salty Dog is primary made with vodka...although differences in drink recipes are primary a regional thing so in your neck o' the woods the bars may make them all with gin... Great drink although I like my vodka :)

Nice job. I'd add two: the rusty nail, which I think was concocted in the 60s, and B & B, which had been around for a while but became popular in the late 50s -early 60s.

Top Bottom