What's new

22mm or 24mm?

Hello, I am looking at buying my second Whipped Dog shaving brush, but I am running into a problem. I know there is only a 2mm difference but for me that is a big deal. I bought a 30mm High Mountain Badger brush from Whipped Dog and love it, but... I am not the biggest fan of bowl shaving so I want a brush for face lathering. I think I want a Silvertip Badger Brush, but my current predicament is I don't know what size I should go for? I run into a problem with my 30mm that it is too big for loading off a puck in a plastic bowl. So I want a brush that will fit in a normal size tub of shaving soap, also I want it to be firm enough for a face lather.

Any ideas?

I'd go with a 22mm finest banded badger from TGN. It has great back bone, fits any mug or cup that holds a 3 to 4 ounce puck of soap easily, and produces great lather.

I have a Semogue 620 which is too small (22mm over 50mm loft)for my taste; a Stirling 26mm which great for the bowl but is too big and soft for face work; a VDH and an Omega 20106 (28mm over 65mm loft) which are both about right except they give me brush burn or I have a reaction to the boar hair.

Larry at WD suggested a 24mm in Synthetic. at $24 delivered, I couldn't say no.. And I'm so looking forward to the brush that I check my email every 30 minutes to see if he's sent it.. I've had to wait almost 2 whole days already!!!

Seriously, I am really eager for this brush. I think it might just be the brush-of-all-trades that I want.

Hello, I am looking at buying my second Whipped Dog shaving brush, but I am running into a problem. I know there is only a 2mm difference but for me that is a big deal. I bought a 30mm High Mountain Badger brush from Whipped Dog and love it, but... I am not the biggest fan of bowl shaving so I want a brush for face lathering. I think I want a Silvertip Badger Brush, but my current predicament is I don't know what size I should go for? I run into a problem with my 30mm that it is too big for loading off a puck in a plastic bowl. So I want a brush that will fit in a normal size tub of shaving soap, also I want it to be firm enough for a face lather.

Any ideas?

what is the size of your hand?

I prefer 24mm knots, especially if they're synthetic since they don't bloom like a badger. My 24mm synth has a smaller head than my 20mm finest fan.

The WD brushes and Larry are great:)

I recommend:
24mm and sunk 5mm lower than standard for silver tip and face lathering.
22mm and standard loft for high mountain (2-band) and face lathering.
26mm and standard loft for synthetic and face lathering.
These will give you nearly identical size, and backbone :)

I like the high mountain the best for face lathering.
But only by a teeny tiny margin.
All 3 are very close together in terms of performance.

Last edited:
And I agree, if you want to face lather and be able to load soap easily get 5mm more drilling. It's kind of the sweet spot for getting both.

I've got a WD 24mm/48mm silver tip. I think that ratio is the sweet spot, face lathering one of his. I don't remember his standard loft, but a 22mm standard loft was too floppy for my taste.

I don't have a HM, so can't speak to that.

depending on your budget, I found that the SOC 2-band is my favorite face latherer. just enough backbone, cloud soft on the face.

Go for the bigger knot 24mm, especially if you 're going to FL.
I prefer always big knots. Life is too short to not enjoy a good lather.

My hand is large. The only thing I worry about is after having this 30mm knot it does not have enough backbone for me to face lather.
24mm Silvertip Badger drilled 5 or 10mm gentlemen?

like I said, my 24mm has a 48mm loft. my big hands handle it just fine. drop an email to Larry and ask him what he thinks. as I said in my first post, I can't remember his standard loft. just ask him and let him know what you think of what you've experienced to date. 5mm will make a significant difference in my opinion (between 5-10mm). 10mm may end up too stiff for your tastes.

I have a HM 24mm drilled 5mm deeper and a 22mm ST drilled 5mm deeper and both work well for face lathering for me. I have some 26 mm bushes (A Monster and RR Olive handled boar) and they are probably the limit for what I'd face lather with because any bigger brush won't fit on the side of my face!

Twenty two is the magic number for face lathering with a badger knot...bid enough to load a lot of soap, small enough to be precise...

Top Bottom