What's new

.22lr AR-15's

Any of you guys running dedicated .22lr AR-15's. They really are a lot of fun and CHEAP to shoot! Good practice for your regular AR's too...

If you are PLEASE share pics of your gun/set up.

Here is mine... and yes all the Class III stamps have been paid for.

Its set up with a 4" barrel so CCI 40gr solid point Mini Mags are subsonic. I have an AAC Pilot can on it. Magpul stock/grip and angled forend. Yankee Hill Machine forend. Aimpoint Micro dot on a Larue mount. I think I have troy sights on it now. It took a little while to get it to run smoothly. It runs like a sewing machine now though!! :)

proxy.php

THANKS!

Tom

that looks like a TON of fun!

I have some 22 rounds that don't have any powder in them, the first time I shot them I didn't realize that I had fired 5 rounds already it was that quiet. Dirty as heck though, spent twice as long as usual cleaning the gun afterwards.

Very nice!!

No 22 AR, I have a Walther G22 tho and the wife is bugging me for one of the Sig 522s next. Another board I hang on we have been discussing the idea of having Family Tactical 22 shoots. Basically think the same kind of carbine/pistol competition you would do, but do it with 22 tactical guns and 22 pistols so the whole family can enjoy it without sweating the ammo cost. Still discussing particulars but we'll figure it out.

Jay

Last edited:
Sounds like a LOT of fun Jay! You could even do it cowboy style with lever guns and single actions...

Tom

Very nice!!

No 22 AR, I have a Walther G22 tho and the wife is bugging me for one of the Sig 522s next. Another board I hang on we have been discussing the idea of having Family Tactical 22 shoots. Basically think the same kind of carbine/pistol competition you would do, but do it with 22 tactical guns and 22 pistols so the whole family can enjoy it without sweating the ammo cost. Still discussing particulars but we'll figure it out.

Jay

I would move to AZ to do that!

Sounds like a LOT of fun Jay! You could even do it cowboy style with lever guns and single actions...

Tom

Don't want to hijack your thread but yeah, thats what we kind of thought. Heck a cheap tactical carbine & pistol shoot might be $80-100ish for ammo plus another $10-15 per shooter in entry costs. Kind of expensive even just for a husband and wife once a month. Now take the same idea and adapt it all to .22s and a full days match might be shot for $20-25 per shooter including the entry fee! And your absolutely right it could be adapted to CAS/SASS type shooting. We figure scoring will be simpler and no one will have a major/minor advantage/disadvantage, plus for folks with kids it lets the kids be able to compete at or near the same level as the adults(maybe just use one class?)! Still in the talking phase but it seems to be a sound idea that could be competitive, alot of fun, and it still reinforces the fundamentals of shooting.

Jay

Last edited:
I looked into these a while back. Anyone have any recommendations on models? As much fun as shooting the real deal ARs is, last time we went through $100 worth of ammo in the blink of an eye.

I built this one, but my other .22 lr AR is a Spikes and I have had good luck with it. Took a little while to figure out what ammo it liked and get it broke in. RUNS GREAT now though..

Yeah with ammo costs my .223 AR's don't see as much use!!

Tom

Yup.
CMMG upper on one of my lowers, lots of fun and cheap to shoot.

They don't like Remington Thunderbolt 22, but I actually have to force those into my SA revolver too so I'm more inclined to think it's just crap ammo.
Feeds Winchester 555 nicely.

The other two... 20", basically an A2 clone, but with a comp instead of a FH, and my carbine is a Daniel 14.5 midlength with a Smith Vortex pinned to keep it out of NFA territory.

No pictures of the 22, but here's the carbine:

$ar145-2.jpg

Top Bottom