What's new

.22LR Ammunition Prices - When do you walk away?

At what total cost per .22LR round do you just walk away?

• $0.05/round

• $0.10/round

• $0.15/round

• $0.20/round

• $0.30/round

• Cost is no object. I want/need the .22LR. If it's available I'm buying!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Without any speculation on current or past market forces, at what price point do you see a box of .22LR ammo on the shelf or available online and pass on it?

Last week I went to a popular online ammunition finding tool and found hundred packs for $0.12/round. After the $5.99 shipping fee was added to my order I just couldn't bring myself to complete the transaction. Yes, $0.12 was more than I wanted to spend per round but I was willing to do it. At $0.18/round I just couldn't do it.

I reload my own centerfire pistol ammunition for $0.14-$0.16/round so just can't bring myself to spend more than that for .22LR. If I weren't reloading I'd probably be willing to spend a bit more for .22LR might just give up shooting altogether.

So here's the real question. At what total cost (ammo + taxes + shipping) do you see .22LR available but just walk away due to price?

This is not a solicitation to buy or sell ammunition! Any such posts are unwelcome in this thread.

I was upset with myself the other day when I bought 100 rounds for ten bucks, but it was the first time I seen any in a year.:sad:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Speaking for myself as someone who just 5 days ago purchased his very first .22LR rifle......I probably don't walk away.

Gander Mtn. had a lot of these in stock when I bought the rifle. They were going for $5.99. I bought only 2. Hindsight...should have bought the limit of 10, next day they were GONE.

i wont spend more than $25 on 5xx bulk packs. walmart when they get them in is still at 15.xx for the bulk packs.

I haven't seen any on the shelves lately.

I've got a pretty decent supply that I've accumulated over the years. It's going to be a while before I need more.

i wont spend more than $25 on 5xx bulk packs. walmart when they get them in is still at 15.xx for the bulk packs.
Those are prices I would feel comfortable paying, but I've gone as high as $8.99 for a hundred pack just because it was the first I had seen this year.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
My wife wanted a 22/45, and I wasn't going to buy one until I could get some ammo, so when I had the chance I bought four 525 round boxes for $30 each.

I cast and reload so my 45 ACP pistol ammo is like eight or nine cents a round. I can't bring myself to buy .22 ammo that's not less than that.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Just placed my order for 375 rounds. with shipping came out to $0.10 per round. The best I've seen in a long time. I jumped on it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I followed a guy to the ammo at walmart yesterday (not on purpose, we just happened to be going the same direction). There was an employee working a cart of freight and the guy asks him "any 22 ammo?" the employee looked somewhat disgusted and simply replied "pssh, no. That's a joke".

I got a chuckle out of it.

I dont understand why you folks down south have a shortage. At my local ammo marts the shelves are loaded. I am sure we import the stuff from the US, maybe Canada is to blame on this whole thing?

I haven't bought or looked at any in a good long time. I bought 5000 rounds of Federal Match ammo about six years ago and think I have about 2000 left. I will have to keep my eyes open for good deals on ammo!

When it gets back to a more normal price I will start to shoot a lot more;until then, I will plink a bit with the stash that I have.

Occasionally one can find .22LR online (for a reasonable price) only to discover that shipping is outrageous. Many places have a one box limit but still insist on charging $15 for shipping!

I long for the days when I could walk into a local store and walk out with .22 at a reasonable price.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Occasionally one can find .22LR online (for a reasonable price) only to discover that shipping is outrageous. Many places have a one box limit but still insist on charging $15 for shipping!

I long for the days when I could walk into a local store and walk out with .22 at a reasonable price.

I wasn't in to firearms back then so this is all I know. I was billed $8.95 for shipping for my last order. That's the lowest I've seen it. And yup....1 box.

Top Bottom