What's new

.22 WMR

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I thought this was a pretty good article on the ballistics of the .22 mag. Kind of got my interest up after Mike’s posting of the HS Derringer.

BTW I want one in .22 mag.

Yes! And here's another great and timely read:

I'm not qualified to judge; however, it seems that 22 WMR will penetrate to the same degree as 9mm and 45.

It just has a smaller weight slug.

22 magnum does seem to punch way above its weight, i.e. it's a nice improvement on 22 LR.

It also said to be more reliable (ignition) than LR. Important in SD!

Probably should never be a first choice, but as a back-up gun (BUG) ... it has been known to work.

Many great loads, such as:

AA

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Why don’t they ever test these gel blocks with clothing around them? Like a thick flannel shirt around the gel block. Or a sweater and winter coat around the block.

Something real world besides just flesh. If you are firing you are likely not shooting a naked assailant. If it’s summer a T-shirt even. Or winter a shirt and coat. I’d like the see the data of a .22 WMR from a dressed up gel block. Or any other round.

Why don’t they ever test these gel blocks with clothing around them? Like a thick flannel shirt around the gel block. Or a sweater and winter coat around the block.

Something real world besides just flesh. If you are firing you are likely not shooting a naked assailant. If it’s summer a T-shirt even. Or winter a shirt and coat. I’d like the see the data of a .22 WMR from a dressed up gel block. Or any other round.

That reminds me of an article I read when the military adopted the Beretta 92. It stated that during the Korean Conflict, 9mm bullets bounce off the enemies’ parkas, but .45ACP didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
During the winter I might be wearing a t-shirt, sweater, and coat. So that’s 3 layers of clothing. Maybe actually 2 or 3 more depending on the coat. You have an outer fabric, inside fluff/insulation, and an inside liner. So just say 4 layers of clothing of various fabrics that a round would have to penetrate. A thick canvas on the Carhartt.

Bad guys get cold too. Or some psycho walking through the mall. Whoever.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Back when we used to hunt Coons we started using a .22 WMR. .22 LR would take several shots to knock them out of a tree and then he was just hopping mad. The .22 mag dropped them dead.

Back when we used to hunt Coons we started using a .22 WMR. .22 LR would take several shots to knock them out of a tree and then he was just hopping mad. The .22 mag dropped them dead.
Growing up in Kansas farmers would gladly paid an enterprising kid such as myself a few bucks per badger tail. Badgers too will shake off .22LR like a bad dream but the .22 WMRF would drop 'em neat as a pin. When I got a little older the .22 WMR morphed into an intense affair with the .22 Hornet, thanks to a re-stocked Savage model 342 that came my way.

A North American Arms 22 magnum PUG has been in my collection for many years. It's the one gun that can always be pocketed wherever; it's a "get off me" gun- not really good IMO for much else. But, like is said- it's surely better than nothing. My buddy used it to qualify for his CCW in Nevada. He's a competitive marksman and they stopped laughing after he outshot the group with that little gun.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Out of a rifle-length barrel, it's really respectable:

I used to think 22 WMR was too expensive, but not when you compare it with centerfire.

And I've found 22 mag on store shelves twice in a month. Demand is much, much less than LR.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Fired some of the Hornady FTX 22 magnum ammo today, and the difference between it and regular CCI "ball" ammo is amazing. Billed as "flashless," the Hornady really was ... the CCI makes an impressive fireball out of a 3.5" barrel, but the Hornady was just a kind of half blue wave ... remarkable, and definitely the go-to carry ammo.

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have the High Standard Derringer, a Ruger Super Single Six and a 10 inch TC Contender pistol in .22 WMR. I wish I had the S&W kit gun in .22 WMR and a decent accurate bolt action in .22 WMR. Those last two would round things out nicely for me (at least for .22 WMR). I have little interest in the Kel Tec pistol.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I have the High Standard Derringer, a Ruger Super Single Six and a 10 inch TC Contender pistol in .22 WMR. I wish I had the S&W kit gun in .22 WMR and a decent accurate bolt action in .22 WMR. Those last two would round things out nicely for me (at least for .22 WMR). I have little interest in the Kel Tec pistol.

And the ammo's on shelves! I saw and picked up some semi jacketed Aguila just to try! I've got tons of WMR (meaning a few hundred, but hey).

Keltec Pmr30 is interesting! Wish it was better made. People love and hate them. Heard they're good, when you get yours back from being fixed!

AA

Last edited:
Top Bottom