What's new

.22 trap. Anyone? Not that kind of trap

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Considering buying one. Amazon has the Champion one on sale tomorrow for Prime Day. Not sure the price yet but if it's right, I'm in.

Anyone use a .22 trap? Reliable? Worth it?

Any alternatives?

I've got a neighbor somewhat behind me to the left and not much to the right but a trucking company of sorts. Can't exactly go firing willy nilly in either direction. But I think I'll be safe shooting the .22 as long as I have something to catch the bullets.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
What I used today in my Aguila SSS thread. Works as advertised. Kinda small if you shoot it from far away. Be sure of your ability to hit it a longer ranges. I built a wooden stand for mine so that it was portable. Has stood up being left outdoors for years. I also pop-riveted some angled aluminum rails to the outside upright edge to facilitate holding targets.

Had one years ago and they do work as advertised.

Couple of things to keep in mind though.

1. They are small and you need to ensure another backstop for the misses that are going to happen when you are training beginners.

2. Rimfire projectiles turn to dust when they hit the plate, wear gloves and mask when disposing of the residue.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Also, back up your paper target with a cardboard backer or lead splatter will tear up thin paper targets.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Had one years ago and they do work as advertised.

Couple of things to keep in mind though.

1. They are small and you need to ensure another backstop for the misses that are going to happen when you are training beginners.

2. Rimfire projectiles turn to dust when they hit the plate, wear gloves and mask when disposing of the residue.

Not if you put a piece of ballistic kevlar inside of the trap and in front of the plate. I have had this set up for quite a few years and it works great. I mostly use it for a high powered .177 pellet rifle, that I practice with or zero the rifle inside of my actual house.

I have about 30 yards between my den and a second living area with a long hallway inbetween. I do use an 3/4 inch piece of plywood behind the trap against the wall as a backstop, but in the 6 or 7 years I have been doing it, I have never missed the trap.

I have also used it outside in my back 40 with my Ruger 10/22 a few times. Seemed to work great. The kevlar absorbs and catches the lead at least it does at 25 yards or more. Have never tried it closer than that with .22. The kevlar also reduces the noise of the impact because it's not hitting the back of the trap.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Not if you put a piece of ballistic kevlar inside of the trap and in front of the plate. I have had this set up for quite a few years and it works great. I mostly use it for a high powered .177 pellet rifle, that I practice with or zero the rifle inside of my actual house.

I have about 30 yards between my den and a second living area with a long hallway inbetween. I do use an 3/4 inch piece of plywood behind the trap against the wall as a backstop, but in the 6 or 7 years I have been doing it, I have never missed the trap.

I have also used it outside in my back 40 with my Ruger 10/22 a few times. Seemed to work great. The kevlar absorbs and catches the lead at least it does at 25 yards or more. Have never tried it closer than that with .22. The kevlar also reduces the noise of the impact because it's not hitting the back of the trap.

When I set mine up to shoot at 100 yds, I had a 3/4 in. Marine grade plywood backstop. I was a bit chagrined when I saw how those subsonic "fliers" sailed right through the 3/4 in. into the woods beyond! I though for sure the subs would run out of steam at 100 yds.

OkieStubble

When I set mine up to shoot at 100 yds, I had a 3/4 in. Marine grade plywood backstop. I was a bit chagrined when I saw how those subsonic "fliers" sailed right through the 3/4 in. into the woods beyond! I though for sure the subs would run out of steam at 100 yds.

Yeah, I only use that plywood backstop inside the house with my pellet rifle. The wife would probably crap down my neck if she smelled gunpowder inside. :)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
This is the trap I'm considering

proxy.php

Amazon.com : Champion .22 Bullet Trap (Rimfire Only) : Hunting Targets And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

$73 now. Hopefully another 20 bucks off with the prime deal. So far I'm getting: use cardboard behind the target, and maybe build a plywood box to go around it to catch shrapnel.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
That's the one. You don't need a box around it to catch shrapnel IMHO. I built a frame that was free standing so that I could place it anywhere I wanted and was somewhat mobile, also able to raise or lower it so I could shoot from prone, sitting at a bench or standing. I could stick it out in a field and shoot over high grass, etc.. You just need to have some kind of backstop in case you miss the bullet trap.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
When I 1st read the post I thought you were going to shoot trap with a .22. I am thinking damn that guy is good.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It's on sale for $47. Not a bad price. I'm considering building my own though. I saw one on youtube made from 4x4's and a 1/4" steel plate. Gotta find the steel and i can build a better, bigger one for roughly the same price I bet.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Buy it for $47, you won't regret it. Then build a bigger one if you think you can do that to your satisfaction.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Wow, I read the title of this thread and thought, trap shooting with a .22? LOL. As fun as it may be, not a good idea haha, but i geddit now heh.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Order has been placed! Won't get a chance to test it out until next Tuesday/Wednesday.

I use one in the garage to break-in air rifles. 25 feet and lots of fun. Pretty good bwang with the high power guns.

@BigFoot & @Esox gawd I love you guys!

My suggestion, if you have an elevated spot you could comfortably shoot from, is counter sunk backstops down range at your desirable distances. Fliers and strays have a better chance of auguring down. I love the idea of kevlar backing and will be looking for a source of cloth. I too purchased my trap which is rated for .22 cal at 25 feet or more and use it primarily for .177 PCP powered rifle. As they say aim short miss short, then walk it out a bit until you get to your max intended range. It really does reduce splatter from the uprights.

OkieStubble

I love the idea of kevlar backing and will be looking for a source of cloth.

Just look for an army surplus, police supply, craigslist etc, that is selling an old LE ballistic vest. Most vest company's tell police dept's their vest's need to be replaced very 5 years. Because if they didn't, they would soon put themselves out of business.

I bought an old vest from a surplus store for $25, that was manufactured in 1985. Cut it in half at the shoulders, put the front side in my .22 trap and took the back side and shot the hell out of it with 00 Buck, Slug, 9mm, .40 and dumped the mothers load of .22 LR and Magnum into it, all at a distance of no more than 25 ft.

Not one projectile penetrated.

I have one of these. Works fine for .22 . Some concern about dust, but outside is OK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Now I have another question - How do you dispose of the lead fragments that build up inside the trap?

Top Bottom