What's new

.22 Conversion Kit

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Do any of you have any experience with a .22lr conversion kit for an AR? I've been debating about getting a Ruger 10/22 for a little while. It seems to be one of the most popular "must have" guns, especially when considering a survival or apocalyptic type of scenario. So, I was thinking, why not get a .22 conversation kit for my Colt AR. I would still have some 5.56 for a hostile situation, but could also easily carry plenty of. 22 for hunting critters.

Any thoughts or opinions on this? Are the conversion kits even reliable? Can they negatively affect the rifle in any way?

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have no idea, but the Colt Ace conversion for the 1911 was pretty popular. The old AR-7 that the Air Force used to issue has been around forever if that tells you anything. Be just as compact as the conversion kit for a .223 AR and probably more convenient and practical. They have updated the stock though.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Do any of you have any experience with a .22lr conversion kit for an AR? I've been debating about getting a Ruger 10/22 for a little while. It seems to be one of the most popular "must have" guns, especially when considering a survival or apocalyptic type of scenario. So, I was thinking, why not get a .22 conversation kit for my Colt AR. I would still have some 5.56 for a hostile situation, but could also easily carry plenty of. 22 for hunting critters.

Any thoughts or opinions on this? Are the conversion kits even reliable? Can they negatively affect the rifle in any way?

Good way to train cheap, when practicing for the run&gun with an AR. Every gun lover should still have a 10/22 though. You can even make it look like an AR it's so modular. :)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Get the 10/22!

You might need both at once.

Think the last gun I bought was the 10/22 takedown model in stainless. Put an AR style red dot on it. Very useful thing.

Those conversions can be jamomatics, and strike me as a legal workaround. Have a dedicated .22.

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
No experience with the AR conversions, but if I was so inclined, which I'm not, I'd go with a dedicated .22 LR upper , or better yet a complete gun. I'm a big fan of the Ruger 10/22 platform. I have a heavy custom 10/22 target gun, I'd like to have a couple more 10/22 's in lighter configurations. Whether you pursue an AR .22LR or not, you still need some variant of a 10/22 IMHO!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Good way to train cheap, when practicing for the run&gun with an AR. Every gun lover should still have a 10/22 though. You can even make it look like an AR it's so modular. :)

Upon reflection after reading the reviews on Brownells website, the CMMG conversion may be the way to go. But you still need a 10/22!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
AR conversion kits are good, but dedicated uppers are better. The twist rate is attuned to .22 LR ammo, which means much tighter groups. That said, everybody should also own a 10/22. Just too much fun not to.

Friend has one for his AR and loves it. For some reason, I have no interest in them. I have enough things that shoot .22LR already. And I'm just not that enamored with the AR15 to invest more money in one.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
AR conversion kits are good, but dedicated uppers are better. The twist rate is attuned to .22 LR ammo, which means much tighter groups. That said, everybody should also own a 10/22. Just too much fun not to.

this is true.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I have no idea, but the Colt Ace conversion for the 1911 was pretty popular. The old AR-7 that the Air Force used to issue has been around forever if that tells you anything. Be just as compact as the conversion kit for a .223 AR and probably more convenient and practical. They have updated the stock though.

I forgot about the AR-7. Thanks for the reminder.

The CMMG kit was the one that I was thinking about. It looks like it would only take about thirty to sixty seconds to swap the parts.

That's a great point about the twist rate.

Friend has one for his AR and loves it. For some reason, I have no interest in them. I have enough things that shoot .22LR already. And I'm just not that enamored with the AR15 to invest more money in one.

My dilemma is somewhat the opposite. I have absolutely no money invested in .22lr. So, my thinking was why get another rifle (from a practical, non recreational viewpoint) when I can just convert my AR15.

Get the 10/22!

You might need both at once.

Think the last gun I bought was the 10/22 takedown model in stainless. Put an AR style red dot on it. Very useful thing.

Those conversions can be jamomatics, and strike me as a legal workaround. Have a dedicated .22.

AA

Upon reflection after reading the reviews on Brownells website, the CMMG conversion may be the way to go. But you still need a 10/22!

Thanks, guys.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
It sounds like pretty much everyone's on the same page. A dedicated .22lr rifle (or a dedicated upper) would be better than getting a conversion kit.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
A dedicated .22lr rifle (or a dedicated upper) would be better than getting a conversion kit.

A dedicated upper was what I thought you were originally talking about. 10/22 is great...I would like to get a better trigger for mine though.

I have the cmmg conversion kit. It works well and is easy to set up. You need the mags that go with it.

I bought it when I was stocking up for during the Obama days like everybody else. I haven’t used it much, though. My 10/22 is more fun with my kids.

Thing IS: if you have a 5.56 upper (only one) , why fill in the grooves of the rifling w cheap/dirty 22lr lead/copper powder....

I would favor what others say: get a 22lr rifle ... they cost the same... given it's different manual of arms unless you get a 22lr AR style.

CMMG conversion works BUT not with all ammo (cheap 22lr will jam)

Top Bottom