What's new

22-24 mm Badger knot for a custom handle

I am bit away from a custom brush handle being created. I am leaning towards a two-band badger fan-style knot. Does anyone have any recommendations on knot providers (and experience with the brand they recommend)? I am looking at Maggards (of course), AP Shave, Shavemac ($$)--not really DG, but it's certainly a fantasy option. I should say price is not a consideration as I gather opinions. It certainly can be a factor in the end. Thanks to any and all for their opinions.

Last edited:
I do not have a Maggard SHD, but I can say my Shavemac fan is incrediburgable. I also picked up (on a whim) an Nordic Shave Company High Mountain White. For the price I paid I'm incredibly happy with this fellow. Decent backbone, very soft tips. I had a great lather on a hard puck just yesterday using this.

Shavemac - great knots.

Agree with Shavemac! Photos below are of 24/46mm bulb. I have several Shavemac knotted brushes; they are all excellent! Also, Rudy Vey makes custom brushes, and he is fond of Shavemac 2band.

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

picasso smac.jpg

Last edited:
This is a 22mm Maggards 2-Band in a ~24mm bore. Not an SHD just the ordinary bulb. It's set at 48mm and the glue bump is below the handle rim. It gives up some fine backbone and scrub but with soft tips so no prickle. Enough hair to be satisfying but not dense enough to be a stingy argumentative lather thief either. :) 22mm SHD bulb is $36 this one runs $20. I'm sure either would be fun.

g3-with-maggards-knot-and-sloc-jpg.1032336

Graydog

Biblical Innards
My vote would be for Maggard SHD or their regular 2 band is excellent too.
Shavemac is amazing also.
But what makes Maggard at the top of my list is price and availability.

Top Bottom