What's new

20mm cannon brush x2

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 I like my militaria, and knew a 20mm Oerlikon cannon shell would make a fine brush handle. Problem is, they're generally government property... Can't exactly find one at the range.

Tried this once before, but the shell was a piece of WWII trench art. Felt bad using it.

Recently found a veteran-owned place where the proceeds help vets in need... And bought a really nice 20mm "shot glass" shell casing. Highly polished and not collectible. Perfect!

IMG_20210904_163358275-1.jpg

Matching it up with a Maggards 24mm knot.... Also a 20mm dummy shell and AP projectile (from the National WWII Museum in New Orleans gift shop! 🤣 Yes! They sell dummy grenades too). Ahem. Now, the brush....

IMG_20210904_163325279.jpg

IMG_20210904_163722455.jpg

🤔 Just needs a "set" of silicone.

Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it.

Historical note: A small cannon shell, only about an inch in caliber, the 20mm Oerlikon was used by both sides in WWII. The US Navy accounted for stopping as many as one third of the kamikaze attacks on ships with it.

Hope it inspires history minded brush makers!

AA

Very cool. I have a large round I want to make into a brush. I believe it is in the 30+ mm range though. It may be hard to find a knot. I have some ideas for it I'm just waiting for the motivation to pull the trigger on starting the project. :biggrin:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Very cool. I have a large round I want to make into a brush. I believe it is in the 30+ mm range though. It may be hard to find a knot. I have some ideas for it I'm just waiting for the motivation to pull the trigger on starting the project. :biggrin:

🤔 I was given a 25mm casing, but it's significantly larger... Won't work.

And 50-caliber machine-gun casings are much more common.... But too small. Might make a razor handle.

Arguably they're all trench art...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
All right. 🤔 I did something that will be considered barbaric, I am sure. Took the slightly oversized 26mm Maggard two band badger knot - lovely knot! - and introduced it to the 1x30 belt sander. 😉 Now the knot fits perfect. Which leads to a question for the experienced brush makers...

IMG_20210920_180500357.jpg

🤔 Do I have to glue it? It plugs right in and stays. Removable for cleaning the base seems like a thing.

IMG_20210920_180521382_HDR.jpg

Very happy with this now. It has great weight and feel!

IMG_20210920_180552432_HDR.jpg

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Took this thing for a ride this morning with Southern Witchcraft's fall-apple-themed Pomona set.

full

I've had good experiences with Maggard's 24mm badger, and this 26mm badger knot is even better. Of course it lost a few hairs, after that sander haircut. But it held water very well, built lather like a champ, and that brass handle ... Holds and retains heat very well! No wood handle does that, and frankly I like it. I use a metal lather bowl for the same reason.

The slightly longer handle is functionally like a "stick" or barbershop handle. :lol: I simply ignored the handle, and got an unusually good shave. Zen of shaving.

The SW Pomona is such a nice set, too. The SW bases are amazing, and the AS is excellent too. No need for hyaluronic acid today.

And it isn't glued in yet; just treated it normally including banging to dry and it didn't budge.

AA

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
After bowl lathering all week, switched to a face lather today and that's where this Maggard 26mm 2 band badger knot really shines! (MAG-KNOT-2-Band-26)

A bit large - their 24mm is probably perfect - but it's just great for a (ahem) CH2 Chubby-comprarable shave.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Further thoughts on the unglued:

A knot's base holds water much longer than the rest of the brush. Once I saw mold(!) at the base of a synthetic knot, set in a clear Everset handle. A rude awakening, and I'm mold-paranoid ever since.

Badgers are never used twice here, and I place them on top of a shower door, inches away from a swirling ceiling fan, for a few hours after use for a through drying.

With this cannon shell brush, I haven't glued the knot (yet) and simply unplug it from the base for a daily drying. And it does take hours for that last bit of water to leave the base of the knot.

Fluffing the knot a bit ensures a 100% drying. Just a thought for those deeper-set badger knots.

Also, this combo is making me super pleased. A bit like a cross between Simpson M5 (long handle) and the CH2 (giant, luxe knot). It's a great face latherer.

AA

Which leads to a question for the experienced brush makers...

🤔 Do I have to glue it? It plugs right in and stays. Removable for cleaning the base seems like a thing.

I'm not what you'd call experienced but I've made some brushes recently and have yet to glue them in permanently.
I'm still experimenting but have used the brushes several times with no issues and I've almost forgotten they're not glued.
(If someone else was to use the brush they'd never know) Right now I see no reason but that might change down the line.

Top Bottom