What's new

2024 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Year of MacGyver

Gravel bikes are great fun. I used to have a really old Trek like thirty years ago that originally came as a MTB but was transformed into something like the one you have bought. Those were the days.
I recently bought a Trek bike from my neighbor who had it for the last 30 years. He maybe rode it a dozen times, so it is in like new condition. I’ll definitely be putting some miles on it this Spring. Trek bicycles are excellent machines.

Last edited:
I recently bought a Trek bike from my neighbor who had it for the last 30 years. He maybe rode it a dozen times, so it is in like new condition. I’ll definitely be putting some miles on it this Spring. Trek bicycles are excellent machines.
Agreed. I’ve had a few of them. The XO has a rec bike that she loves. Excellent customer service. Hope you get some miles on it. Happy trails!

IMG_1114.jpeg

#14 in 2024 GRUYERE shave sebaticle - still in

#29 GRUME February 2024 - still in

Gillette Fatboy

Bic Chrome Platinum (5)

Ever Ready R40 with original pure badger knot

La Toja stick

Black Magic alcohol free aftershave (Not pictured)

Nivea sensitive skin for men

Back to my normal routine with a glass like BBS as usual....Still in....
SOTDTIBBGC8.jpg

Ti Blackbird / Lab Blue CC / Glacial Citron / C&H STF XL / Proraso Green

If I'd have known these Lab Blue CC blades were going to be this good in the Ti Blackbird I'd have bought a couple hundred for the future!! Good thing I'm in this to win it... :idea:

Still in with absolutely no temptations lurking in the wings.

Unlike previous yearly restraints (all of which I failed miserably) this year feels different insofar that I have been thoroughly enjoying rummaging through my shaving stash, using what I have and reducing the frequency with which I swap razors and brushes etc. In turn this has allowed me to finesse how I use each of those items.

For today shave I fancied a mild open comb so I opted for the little Merkur 985.

This is a curious little travel razor:
1. It has blade feel but it isn't particularly efficient.
2. The feel of the open comb teeth is prominent but the sensation is rather pleasant.
3. It is supremely comfortable when shaving against the grain.

If I was ever going to do a full ATG pass then the Merkur 985 is without a doubt the razor I would choose for the job.

It turned someone already came up with a good DE half blade holder for a single razor! I followed directions and it worked for my Gem Jr 1912. Thanks to @albsat for alerting me to this thread! A preemptive MacGyver!

Thanks for sending me the link to this thread! I was attempting to rebuild the wheel, and this one is much better! I finally got around to making this yesterday, I let the epoxy dry 24+ hours. It fits in a 1912 series (Gem/ Star / Ever- Ready), and with a little trimming of the blade overlap it can be loaded into an Ever-Ready 24-14 (Little Lather Catcher). With extra edge trimming (see photos) and removal of the spine (it’s impossible to get tight), it can be carefully loaded into a Micromatic.

View attachment 1802937

View attachment 1802935View attachment 1802936

View attachment 1802938

Do you have a thread link for that?

The pictures later in the thread don’t show that much, I think the ones I posted have more detail.

Still in.

View attachment 1803539

I missed a small patch on my chin this morning and walked around looking like an idiot. Go Tuesday!
That's a great looking brush, especially the handle.

Care to share the details?

There was a brush brand back in the early 2010's that people either loved or hated. I forget the name, but they had a round bulbous handle like that. Anyone remember them, they only had one or two versions?

Edit....found it. DaVinci.

Last edited:
A second shave with a half Feather in my blade holder, this time with my Kampfe Bros. Star New Model 1902 lather catcher. The blade was a little sharper after running it through the Allegro and Twinplex. It felt a bit more aggressive than my usual Gem Blade. I rate the shave a 9.2 out of 10, I was able get a much closer shave in some spots than in others.

IMG_3061.jpeg

IMG_3054.jpeg

Top Bottom