What's new

2023 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Year of The Prisoner

Still In GRUME, GRUYERE & 365 Shaves
(GRUYERE Q1 Check-In)

PXL_20230330_035923932.jpg

EJ D89 with Q Shave blade, Semogue SOC and Muhle Sea Buckthorn puck (in owl cup)

I am proud to be a GRUMEer and GRUYEREer. It is a lot more enjoyable and meaningful than my rocky road "SAD" history. I suspect others in our midst have their own SAD stories, so I say cheers 🍻 to all of us. Let's finish the month strong!

This humble razor and combo performed elegantly. With the large wet boar brush, I had to use a lot of soap but at the finish it was a close DFS+ start to the day.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Feel free to play along from home!

There are also monthly versions you can sign up for too! Here is a link to April's:
I'm all in for a year! In fact, my personal GRUYERE/Prisoner's dilemma (not in the game theory way) will end on March 29th next year!

Q1 check in - I'm still in and happy about it 🙂

First three months were suprisingly easy, without any temptations. I was really busy lately (in a positive way), so I didn't even need to fight the temptations. Seeing how long it takes to finish anything, definitely helps with being happy what I already have.

I also want to announce my first kill of the year: Hattric Classic aftershave. It was around a week ago, but I was not on the forum for some time.
2023-03-20 19.30.04.jpg

This one will not be replaced. It's not bad, but I have aftershaves with scents that I like much better than this one. When I will need to worry about buying new aftershaves in about 10 years, there is a chance I won't even remember this one 😁 Well, I may not even remember the ones I really like. Yeah, I have too many things, but I guess I'm in the right place with this problem. And now I have one thing less, so restraint so far is a big success for me 😉
Stay safe, I'm glad to still see you here.

And today's shave to finish my Q1 check in
2023-03-30 19.56.38.jpg

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Hey there my fellow G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.ers. I am hoping someone might be willing to help me out (better yet, mutually benefit) with a trade/blade exchange.

I purchased a Micromatic three or so years ago and have never used it. I had enough to figure out at the time. Just was going through some "old stuff" (literally and figuratively) and uncovered it. I had never bothered to purchase blades for it.

It's a little sad to own a razor and never have used it, particularly when taking part in restraints. Anyway, if someone can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. Just looking for a tuck or so. I primarily use Feather blades, but could offer up a mixed bag if those weren't of interest.

Please PM me if your interested.

Happy shaves!

20230330_054800.jpg

2023 GRUYERE #49 - Still in
March 2023 GRUME #23 - Still in
Vintage April, 2023

Date: 03.30.23
Days growth: 2

Head shaver

Razor: 1940's Gillette Tech razor
Blade: Feather (4)
Brush: Parker pure badger

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Dr. Bronner's eucalyptus on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: Proraso green
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements blue/white

Passes: 1

Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - Osage rub
6 - Balm: LEA 3in1

Time from shower on to dressed and ready: 39 min

NOTES: I needed a quick invigorating shave. One nice quick pass with all menthoaled products (eucalyptus kind of but not really). A DCS/DFS, very pleased. I'm usually a 3 or 4 day shaver but needed to shave today for important personal business.
Quality: 9.75/10
Comfort: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10

From America's mountain

20230330_070624.jpg

Be seeing you from inside the mountain right next door to the south 😜

Still in

We just came back from the festivities and I'm swamped by the renewal of various insurances; it is easy to remember all that need to be done when they all come in a clutch but it surely saddens my bank balance.

I'm having a great time getting DFS+ shaves with two pass plus touch-up routine.

Shavologist Primeval Silence soap
Green Cult V1.1 razor
Glatz Platinum blade
Lea Alum Stick
Primeval Silence aftershave
Kailash aftershave balm

Excellent results and judging by the way I'm using my soaps, I'm overstocked for a decade. I have only one solution for this "issue" - bigger brush!

Luckily I have a Simpsons Chubby 3 in Best and several mean but broken in Board to go after my soaps.

Most importantly, I've started to really enjoy the quiet, secluded life in the 'Village', I'm a prisoner here, honestly.

Date31.03.2023
365 days of shaving90/365 (100%)
GRUYERE90/365 (100%)
GRUME March31/31 (100%)
03/12 (100%)
Soap of the Month Club(SOTMC)
31/31 (100%)
01/12

Face
RazorBladeBrush
Fatip Piccolo SE
Gillette 365 (11)
DVH Synthetic
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Mike’s Barbershop
WXTG, XWTG, ATG
(here)
Cold splash
Floïd

Head
RazorBladeBrush
Fatip Piccolo SE
Gillette 365 (12)
DVH Synthetic
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Mike’s Barbershop
WTG, ATGCold splash
Floïd

Efficiency (scoring details here)Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (BBS)
8.5/10 (comfortable / smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Q1 officially completed and I feel great! I have never completed three months in a row in GRUME ever before. Whoop! Whoop! Wasn’t easy, but I am getting better at it. Congrats to all!!

The shave was smooth and comfortable like any shave with my Piccolo
:001_wub:

Head shave felt nice too. The Piccolo is a great shave for my dome.

Further details can be found here.

The review for the month can be found here.

Enjoy your shave!

Date31.03.2023
365 days of shaving90/365 (100%)
GRUYERE90/365 (100%)
GRUME March31/31 (100%)
03/12 (100%)
Soap of the Month Club(SOTMC)
31/31 (100%)
01/12

Face
RazorBladeBrush
Fatip Piccolo SE
Gillette 365 (11)
DVH Synthetic
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Mike’s Barbershop
WXTG, XWTG, ATG
(here)
Cold splash
Floïd

Head
RazorBladeBrush
Fatip Piccolo SE
Gillette 365 (12)
DVH Synthetic
SoapPasses
Pre- & Post-shave
Mike’s Barbershop
WTG, ATGCold splash
Floïd

Efficiency (scoring details here)Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (BBS)
8.5/10 (comfortable / smooth)

Notes to today’s shave:

Q1 officially completed and I feel great! I have never completed three months in a row in GRUME ever before. Whoop! Whoop! Wasn’t easy, but I am getting better at it. Congrats to all!!

The shave was smooth and comfortable like any shave with my Piccolo
:001_wub:

Head shave felt nice too. The Piccolo is a great shave for my dome.

Further details can be found here.

The review for the month can be found here.

Enjoy your shave!
Interesting comments about your Piccolo regarding head shaving. I looked it up and its very reasonably priced.

Alas, I must wait as we are all prisoners here of our own device....

Interesting comments about your Piccolo regarding head shaving. I looked it up and its very reasonably priced.

Alas, I must wait as we are all prisoners here of our own device....
Or trade, swap or loan of course.

The Fatip comes in many variations but only two baseplates. And they are indeed very reasonably priced. Especially here in EU. I believe a nickel Piccolo is $11 excluding shipping.

I have two myself.

Still in...

View attachment 1629860

Another month is in the books. Congrats to everyone who participated and completed this GRUME.

Looking forward to meeting you in April GRUME and/or Adjustable April 2023 😀

Cheers!
Guido
Well, you certainly have noticed this post should be published in the monthly GRUME thread 🤪😅

But still, congrats to everyone who completed the first quarter of GRUYERE 😀

Be seeing you!

Last edited:
Top Bottom